Avocado. Tomato. Cucumber. Yum.

by Meghann on July 30, 2012

Check out this beautiful piece of food art.

Eh. Maybe it was prettier in person. ;)

Today’s lunch was fresh, fresh, fresh and inspired by some of the beautiful crisp veggies sitting in my fridge. I had an avocado, tomato, and cucumber to work with, and when all was said and done, it looked a little something like this.

Yum.

The deets:

• 1/2 avocado
  • 1 tomato
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • goat cheese
  • walnuts
  • balsamic vinegar
  • evoo

All chopped and mixed together with a little salt and pepper. I thought about adding the contents to a bed of spinach, but preferred the combo on its own.

On the side I had the other half of Saturday’s cheesy bread.

Some links worth sharing:

BS on the Olympic Games Sponsor Blackout

A little fact I didn’t know – if an Olympic athlete is usually sponsored by XYZ company – but XYZ company isn’t an “official” Olympic sponsor – then XYZ company can not claim said athlete as their own during the games, nor can the athlete mention XYZ company on their end. They also can’t wear their gear (no XYZ shoes – only Nike) during the event, on the podium, or for media appearances. This is all known as the Olympics Games Sponsored Blackout.

One of those XYZ companies (Oiselle) wrote a really great blog post calling BS on the blackout. Check it out. I found the whole piece interesting because I think that we’re so used to athletes signing multi-million dollar deals, that we forget not every sport is like that. The majority of the athletes in London right now aren’t sign with huge endorsement deals, and work traditional day jobs on top of training 5 hours a day and paying for their own coaches and food. Smaller companies who can’t afford to be an “official” olympic sponsor would love to sponsor athletes on their road to the Olympics, but are at a loss if they can’t talk about their athletes once they’re there.

The author offers up an alternative to the blackout, encouraging followers to tweet a “Thank you” to companies when their athletes perform well (even though they’re not allowed to acknowledge it). She even provides a list for reference.

Wedding: The Garter

My garter came in over the weekend and I couldn’t wait to share. Click over to read the story behind which one I selected.

1 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway July 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Mmm! Anything with avocado is bound to be delicious. P.S. speaking of avocados, check your title!

2 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Thanks. :) I fixed it. Was so excited about my afternoon snack that I pressed “publish” before checking the title. :)

3 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway July 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I have definitely done the same!

4 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run July 30, 2012 at 3:47 pm

That looks so good. Fresh and delicious! A perfect summer lunch.

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I had no idea about the blackout – that’s pretty lame!! If small companies are willing to sponsor athletes, they should be recognized for it.

6 Martha July 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Looks good! Tomato and avocado are awesome together.. Just a note, the “they’re” in your second last paragraph is the wrong one (“…encouraging followers to tweet a “Thank you” to companies when they’re athletes perform well”). I think you meant “their” as “they’re” is a contraction of “they are”. :)

7 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thank you for letting me know. I know the difference – it was just a typo on my part. :)

8 Silvia @ skinny jeans food July 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm

In the world of globally interconnected social networks, the “Olympic Sponsors” won’t score a lot of friends over this blackout move….. Where were they sponsoring all the athletes before they showed up to the Olympics silence their support system now? Bad move.

but we get to enjoy seeing bare feet & naked athletes wrapped in flags grabbing their medals. Haha.

9 Annette @FitnessPerks July 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm

That is very interesting–I agree, we forget that a lot of the athletes are funding their own way. Very cool!

10 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Nice healthy, summery salad. Looks bomb!

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I had no idea some of the sponsors couldn’t actually say they are sponsoring an athlete! That seems crazy to me, you’d think they would want to encourage more people to sponsor athletes rather than make it more difficult! Interesting article!

12 Cait's Plate July 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Oh my gosh that cheesy bread looks unreal.

13 pluvk July 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Yummm… that looks really good!

14 Lauren July 31, 2012 at 1:52 am

I just noticed that Kerry Walsh and Misty May have the same uniform, but one is Nike and the other is Oakley – thought that was kind of odd!

Interesting about the blackout, defintely did not know that!

15 Candice July 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

Avocado, tomato, and cucumber just scream summer. Looks so good!

16 Emily N July 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

I have to read that Oiselle article I guess. I cannot intelligently speak on the matter yet, so I won’t even try! :)