more ยป" />

I <3 The Olympics

by Meghann on July 29, 2012

Can I just say how much I love the Olympics?

524060_10102145846293673_103708778_n.jpeg

I just finished watching this morning’s women cycling road race and, despite being a nearly 4 hour event, I found myself oddly entertained and on the edge of my seat watching the entire time. I watched a good majority of yesterday’s men’s road race, too.

Derek sat next to me the whole time wondering why the heck we were watching cycling. To be fair, I sat through the men’s basketball game this morning. Yawn.

ESPN plays 24/7 in this house. Basketball, baseball, football, and even golf – Derek loves them all (and I lovingly sit next to him on the couch and try my best to learn to love them too). The truth is I didn’t grow up on any of those sports. ESPN was never on in our house, and the few games I did see were far and few in between. I think it’s fun to see those games in person, but watching them on TV doesn’t have quite the same entertaining appeal.

So why would I sit through a televised 4-hour cycling road race? Part of me believes it’s my uncanny ability to get caught up in the Olympic spirit, but the other part thinks it’s the fact that I actually know this sport (or pretend to know it).

I can’t tell you how many times Derek has gone “OMG! Did you see that?!” during a baseball game, then proceeded to rewind the game and explain why the “OMG” move was so impressive. I usually nod my head and go “yep,” but usually I’m not impressed. So he can throw a really fast ball – I thought all professional baseball players did? Isn’t that why they’re getting paid to do that? <- he usually rolls his eyes at that one. ;)

I don’t know baseball. At all. I can respect the players for what they do, but I’ve never played a game, so it’s harder to relate. Derek has played baseball. He grew up going to the games and knows the ins and outs of the sport. It’s his thing.

I didn’t grow up cycling, but in the past two years I’ve learned a little about the sport. I watched the cyclists today in complete awe. My legs ached yesterday trying to hold 16mph for 30 miles (hey, I never said I was fast!), these women were holding over 24 mph for 87 miles. That’s impressive. Not only that, they looked strong out there. I loved hearing their background stories, I could appreciate the gorgeous London landscape they were riding through, and I was inspired when any of them would jump right back up after a fall or having to change out a flat tire. It was amazing.

I also have a new appreciation for swimming this year. I’ve always enjoyed watching the swimming portion (guys in speedos – hello! – they’re also shorter races, which makes it a little easier to keep my attention), but after a year of learning a thing in the pool, I can actually see what makes these swimmers so great. Now it isn’t just the fast times and hot bods that impress me – it’s their amazing form and the way their strokes stretch and look effortless.

I love the Olympics because they bring out these sports that sort of get swept under the carpet the rest of the 4 years in between (I know each of these sports has their own major events, but they don’t have as much coverage as the major team sports do).

The Olympics really are perfectly timed this year. They always inspire me, but this year I have something to funnel that inspired energy to. As my training for my 70.3 begins next month, I’ll be thinking of all the Olympic cyclists, swimmers, triathletes, and runners. They’re dedication to the sports they love is my inspiration to get out there and kick my own butt.

I know the games have only just begun, but I’m already feeling pumped. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the two weeks have to bring!

What are your must-watch Olympic events?

Derek and I attended a surprise baby shower for one of his co-workers at a local Mexican restaurant this afternoon. I consumed an unknown number of chips and salsa (late lunch time + delayed ordering of food due to a large group = chips were my very best friend) and had the avocado and enchiladas for lunch.

The enchiladas were delicious, as was the jicama/carrot/mango salad on the side. I ate every bite.

A chocolate cake came out of the back for dessert.

mmmm…. chocolate.

Derek and I finally left the restaurant at 4:00 and hit up Jos A Banks on our way back to our car. The sales associates were pretty amazing with answering all of our questions and I think we may have found our suits.

251848_10102145362019163_277312281_n.jpeg

Still deciding on ties though. ;)

I’ll fill in all the details on the Wedding Page later this week. We managed to negotiate a pretty good deal, which makes me very happy. :)

Thanks to our late lunch, I wasn’t really hungry for dinner. I ended up making a bowl of cereal with plain greek yogurt and berries and calling it a night.

Sometimes cereal for dinner is A-ok. :)

I’m off to watch women’s gymnastics.

(Once upon a time I was a gymnast too, only I was really, really bad. These girls ROCK.)

Good Night!

1 Laura July 29, 2012 at 10:43 pm

i get wayyy into the olympics! my favorites are sports that i am absolutely terrible at… gymnastics {i did it for a year as a child; couldn’t get me out of the foam pit!} and diving {could never get the whole 2-bounce only rule and pretty sure the pencil jump isn’t too high a difficulty}. I feel ya though, my bf loves baseball and i just think it is soo boring. he’s being a trooper and secretly loves women’s gymnastics, too! wish it was as prevalent as stupid baseball!

2 Sana July 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I just fall instantly in love with the stories of these Olympians. I can’t help it, so inspiring!

3 Meagan July 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm

My favorites are swimming and women’s gymnastics. I want to watch some of the men and women’s marathons this year too.

4 bula July 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I wish I could call off from work for the next two weeks so I can watch all the events on TV. I need to plan ahead next time, either get cable with DVR or take time off. Love the olympics!

5 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut July 29, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I feel cliche, but swimming is by far my favorite sport. Haven’t been into much else even though I’m trying to get into the spirit more!

PS. Cereal for dinner is just inevitable sometimes. ;)

6 Cait's Plate July 29, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I love all of it! Gymnastics, track and swimming/diving are definitely my favorites though :)

7 Irina @ Chocolatea Time July 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm

This is the first time I’ve actually followed the Olympics and I can’t believe I’ve been missing out all these years! It’s so interesting to see how preferences change – I recently started running and now I am sooo pumped to watch all of the running events! It sucks that I have to work though and miss so many other events :(

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I did gymnastics when I was little too! And also, pretty terribly. :-)

So far, I’ve been really enjoying the diving events, gymnastics and beach volleyball. I don’t swim at all and my volleyball skills are awful, but something about those events really draw me in!

9 Elisabeth July 30, 2012 at 12:35 am

I’m addicted to the Olympics! My favorites to watch are swimming, diving, gymnastics and beach volleyball, but I also enjoying seeing some of the sports that are almost never televised except during the Olympics (like equestrian sports, rowing, etc).

Love the suit – especially with the polka dotted tie! :)

10 Shauna@Pleasure, not Punishment July 30, 2012 at 12:39 am

I’m finding myself enjoying so many random sports! Totally digging archery and beach volleyball this time around!

11 heather July 30, 2012 at 12:42 am

Your description of watching sports with D sounds exactly like Chris. It actually really reallly gets on my nerves when he rewinds & makes me watch haha.

12 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

haha. It gets on my nerves sometimes too (especially if I’m working), but I totally get it. He’s excited about it, and he wants to share that enthusiasm with me. But dang the boy does love the rewind button. Not sure what guys did without it, clearly instant replay is never enough. lol

13 Rebecca July 30, 2012 at 2:55 am

I love the Olympics, but even more so this year since I live in London. The atmosphere here is amazing and it is hard not to get caught up in the excitement! But this is the first Olympics that I’ve watched since starting to run. And you are totally right – it gives you a new appreciation for what the athletes do. I can’t wait to watch the marathon (in person!) next week. I’ve already got my viewing spot scouted out.

Must watch Olympic events for me are: athletics, gymnastics (I’m still not sure how they managed to do all of those amazing things), triathalon, equestrian/eventing, diving, and rowing.

14 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 30, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’ve been watching the Olympics here and there. That chocolate cake looks like heaven! :)

15 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

I have been watching the Olympics non-stop! I am also really enjoying the road races and I think it’s because I recently started biking. It’s so interesting to see (and try to figure out) the strategy behind cycling. It’s pretty cool!

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 30, 2012 at 8:22 am

I like the solid blue tie -it’s classy, and not busy at all which I think would look good in pictures.

17 Samantha Angela July 30, 2012 at 8:52 am

I like the solid tie

18 Sam July 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

I’ve never really been interested in the Olympics before, but being a Londoner I couldn’t help but get excited this time round. I watched all 4 hours of the women’s road race yesterday too, and was screaming my head off for Lizzie Armitstead at the sprint finish! I never realised how tactical cycling was before yesterday.

I’ve got tickets to watch one of the Athletics sessions next week – excited is an understatement!

19 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’m jealous that you get to see them in person. Derek saw a few of the events when the Olympics came to Atlanta in 1996 and he still talks about how exciting that was (he was only 12 at the time). Definitely a bucket list item!

20 Becky @ runfundone July 30, 2012 at 9:19 am

I love watching to Olympics! I don’t have cable, and my antennae doesn’t get NBC. :( I thought I’d be able to watch them online, but that is not the case! I’m so sad!!!!

21 Emily N July 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am OBSESSED! Especially since my coworker’s son is swimming TODAY in the 100m backstroke finals!!!

22 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

Wow!! GOOD LUCK to your coworker’s son! That’s an incredible achievement.

23 Mary @ food and fun on the run July 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

We got the guy’s suits from Jos A Bank for our wedding too – we ended up getting each suit for $100!! It was an awesome deal – it was cheaper for the guys to buy a suit, than rent a tux, and now everyone has a nice to suit to wear for other occasion. I think Marcus has worn that suit to just about every wedding we have been to in the past year :)

24 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 11:10 am

SOunds like we were both able to work out the same deal! I’m really excited, I think the guys are all going to look really sharp.

25 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

Diving is by far my favorite to watch! I’ve been using online streaming (no TV) but it keeps cutting out. I need to just invite myself to my brother’s apartment for the next few weeks to watch on his TV… Haha I’m sure he won’t mind.

26 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 30, 2012 at 10:34 am

This is the first year I’ve been really interested in the Olympics. JP and I DVR’d the Olympics on Saturday morning just to watch the cycling (and swimming, of course)! I’m not a triathlete or a marathoner by any means, but I’m so excited to watch those events, as well as the track and field events and the swimming finals.

JP loves all things sports and ESPN rules our TV (when I’m not watching Food Network). I used to hate baseball, but after we got married and I realized how much JP likes to talk about it, I decided to give it a shot. I totally agree that watching it on TV is not that exciting, but going to the actual games is awesome! I’m still not sure I could ever get on board for football and I’m on the fence about the NBA (they all seem like a bunch of show-boaters).

27 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

I went to a big football-obsessed school, so that’s when I got into the sport. Even still, I’m only interested in college level football, and really only when it has something to with FSU. :) Agree about the NBA – I still don’t get it. They move too quickly and it’s hard to keep up. I always thought basketball was one of those sports where you can miss the first 90% of the game, and come in for the last 10% and be good to go with knowing how the game went.

28 Rachel Wilkerson July 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I hate watching sports on TV (even though it’s constantly on in my house, just like yours) but I can definitely get into the Olympics! For some reason, it’s just different!

Also if you like watching cycling, you should watch the Tour de France next year. Eric watches it every year and I found I could get into it way more than I could any other sport. It’s interesting and the commentary is usually good (unlike most televised sports).

29 Meghann July 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I think that’s what I enjoyed about watching the cycling race yesterday – the commentary was actually interesting. I’ve heard it’s addicting to watch the Tour de France, but I’m not sure I understood that statement until now. I think I will find the time to sit down and watch it next year. :)

30 Maren July 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I don’t know if you need input but I really really love the polkda dot tie. It’s so classy yet fun!

31 Melissa July 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Gymnastics all the way. I stayed up late last night watching which meant my run this morning was in the sun.

32 Rachel July 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

I watched both road races and loooooved it! What was crazy to me is the sacrifice country men were making for another rider and their country. Team GB & USA worked as a team but only one could win the gold! I love cycling!