French Toast Teamwork

by Meghann on July 29, 2012

Good morning!

I hope your Sunday morning is treating you well. Derek and I broke out the griddle this morning and made french toast.

We have a system. I make the mix (eggs, milk, and vanilla extract <– the secret ingredient), he soaks the bread, he does the flipping, and I make the fruity topping.

Today’s fruity topping included a mix of peaches, syrup, and cinnamon (warmed up in the microwave).

I also added some peanut butter to mine. Yum. :)

Yesterday I bought a reusable K-cup from Target.

So far I’m digging the Keurig, but the high price of the branded k-cups and the waste they create means they’re not 100% practical for everyday use. Fair enough. The reusable k-cup wasn’t exactly cheap (I found it for $17 at Target), but you can use it over and over again, re-filling it with your pick of coffee grounds every time. There’s no additional waste, and it’s a pretty no-fail system to ensure a great cup of coffee every time. (err… almost every time. see below.)

There was no need to measure – the instructions simply told me to fill the reusable filter to the top of the mesh with my favorite coffee grounds.

You have to remove the black filter already in the Keurig.

And replace it with the gray one (with the grounds inside).

Then use the machine as you normally would.

IMG_8600.jpg

The verdict? I’m not sure if it was because I was using my favorite extra dark roast Seattle’s Best Coffee grounds or if it was because the reusable filter allowed for more grounds, but my cup of coffee with the reusable K-cup was much better than the ones I’ve had from the regular K-cups. Not that there was anything wrong with the other cups, this one was just stronger and tasted more of what I’m used to. I really liked it.

The reusable K-cup was easy to use, but it did make a little bit of a mess and was a bit annoying to have to clean out and refill when needing to make two cups of coffee right in a row. I tried to move through the process of refilling the reusable cup quickly between mine and Derek’s cups, but didn’t do a great job of cleaning out the filter in the process. Derek’s cup ended up with a nice amount of grounds in it. Oops.

He ended up making another cup with the reusable K-cup a little bit later and didn’t have a problem. So it’s nots a guaranteed good cup of coffee every time (you have to look out for escaping grounds), but that’s really the only issue we had. :)

Have you ever tried the reusable K-cup? What are your thoughts?

1 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners July 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Ohh, that french toast looks good! I recently took up coffee drinking again after a 10+ yr hiatus. What was I thinking not drinking it? Forgot how good it is and how delicious it makes the house smell in the morning! Anyway, Keurig got popular in the time I wasn’t drinking, so I have yet to try it. My MIL and SIL are huge fans though. If I did ever get one, I think I would also do the reusable option because extra waste is not my favorite. Happy Sunday!

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm

That’s the same cup I use! It’s really great, I’ve had mine for a year and saved SO much money! K-cups get really expensive after a while!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Grub with Chelsey (and Molly…)

3 Monet July 29, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I have wanted to try Keurig coffee for a few months, and I’d love a cup of coffee to go along with your french toast. It looks lovely!
Monet recently posted..Banana Bread

4 Christina July 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

It’s great how you were able to find a better way to make the coffee than the K-cups!

5 Elisabeth July 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm

My Keurig actually came with the My K Cup. We have only used it twice because it’s so convenient to use the K cups. We always find good sales/deals, so it doesn’t end up being expensive (we only make about 2 cups/day). They are a lot of packaging to throw away, but, again, we only make about 2/day. We also recycle pretty much everything else we can, don’t buy processed foods/foods with a lot of packaging and don’t buy bottled drinks/water. Plus, I like a lot of the K cup varieties! :)

6 Kristin July 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I have had my Keurig for almost 2 years now. I don’t remember what life was like before it! I have two reusable cups (I found one at a garage sale for a $1- score!) I like buying my own bags & grinding myself because I think the coffee tastes fresher. Plus, I figure I average around 0.22-0.25 cents a cup of coffee from a 1# bag vs. 0.50-0.75 cents per K-cup. When I do want the K-cups, I try to use a Bed, Bath & Beyond $5 off coupon and it’s a decent savings.

7 Bri July 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hi Meghann,
Glad you discovered the reusable K-Cup. Just FYI, the instructions specifically warn *against* filling the mesh filter to the top. They say to fill to the “fill line” arrow and not beyond. Any more than that and you’ll end up damaging the machine. (Unless they’ve changed the instructions in the past month, which seems unlikely.)

8 Meghann July 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Thank Bri – you’re right. It says to fill to the top of the mesh.

9 Cait's Plate July 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Best way to eat french toast EVER :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Easy Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Kebabs

10 Sarah July 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm

The reusable K cup is pretty much all that we use (we’d rather spend money on really good coffee than packaging!), though I will say that the disposable K cups are much more convenient. Perfect Pod makes EZ cups for Keurig that comes with disposable filters, which is what my parents use. Not necessarily less expensive than the K cup version (I will say that it seems more cheaply made), but it is a lot easier to clean up since you can just toss out the filter with all of the grounds in it!

11 Sarah July 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Whenever I’ve tried using a keurig my coffee came out way way too weak.. I like my coffee super strong. My boyfriend and I have the same system when it comes to making pancakes! I make the batter and he’s in charge of the flipping :)
Sarah recently posted..10 Things..

12 carol July 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I agree with Sarah … the coffe is too weak (tastes like instant, yuk) and it is far too expensive, i.e. the machine itself and then the cups.

13 Sneakers2sandals July 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Best buy is the cheapest place to get K cups! And they have the best selection. I agree though – it’s still pricey!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Sunday Smiles

14 Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself July 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love those reusable K cups! And you have me craving french toast now!
Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself recently posted..Responsible consumption of ice cream

15 BroccoliHut July 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Cool! I had no idea that these re-usable cups existed! I had thought about registering for a Keurig machine for the wedding but had decided against it due to the high cost of the cups. Maybe I’ll have to revisit that decision…
BroccoliHut recently posted..Crafty: Weekly Calendar Picture Frame

16 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Knowing there are reusable K Cups sparks my interest! I’ve been holding out because of the cost of the K Cups and the amount of waste they produce, but I could totally justify the price of the reusable cup for such a wonderful machine! Now, to convince my husband that it’s a good idea…
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Run Like Angels: Packers 5K

17 Candice July 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm

yum! Love french toast!
nope, not a big coffee drinker so I have no clue… but I think it will definitely save some mula! Right?
Candice recently posted..I’m Cheap

18 meredith July 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’ve had my keurig machine for over 6 years and i absolutely loveeeee it. First thing I do in the morning is pop in a cup and push the button. It’s awesome. I keep a nice stock of flavors and varieties. My machine came with the reusable cup. I have used it a few times but I found it messy and not as simple as the kcups. You can find the boxes of kcups at places like Costco, BJs or online sites like coffeeforless.com or shoffee.com. They run some good deals.

19 Fridick July 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Still no responses to the wrap up to your Survive on $35 post? Would love to see how you respond to some of the questions (specifically mine, of course…)

20 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut July 29, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I made french toast this am, too! Although, I didn’t add milk to my mix—I’ll try that next time. I added Greek yogurt + blueberries + strawberries on top—it was a TEAMUSA breakfast! :)
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Bethenny’s Lasagna + Bon Bons

21 Becky @ runfundone July 30, 2012 at 12:40 am

Oh, wow! I don’t drink coffee, but I love the environmentally-friendliness of the reusable k-cup! Way to go!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..No Monkey Bread Here!

22 Sara@RunningInPinkProject July 30, 2012 at 7:09 am

Love fruity French toast! I made an apple version when my husband was home last week. So good!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..The Results: Weekly Weigh~In Week 7

23 Silvina July 30, 2012 at 8:45 am

I would recommend the Ekobrew cup. It’s MUCH better than the reusable K-cup the Keurig comes with. It doesn’t spill water everywhere when it’s brewing, it’s bigger so you can potentially fill more coffee in the basket and you don’t have to remove the black filter in the machine (I’m lazy, so this is a huge plus!)

Here it is on Amazon, if you’d like to check it out:

24 Whitney July 30, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’m a big fan of the reusable cup, but I have a red one from Bed, Bath & Beyond (can’t remember the brand). I like being able to use a stronger coffee plus the added bonus of cutting out waste.
Whitney recently posted..{running distraction} : counting light posts

25 CampingGirl August 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I have never heard of the reusable kcup but I am going to look for one!!
CampingGirl recently posted..Vacation Week