more ยป" />

Something Clicked

by Meghann on July 28, 2012

Something clicked with the bike this morning.

After months of forgetting I have a bike, telling myself i need to ride my bike, and only going on rides when friends invite me on them, I woke up with the sudden urge to go for a ride. There was no need to talk myself into it, no friends counting on me to show up, and no training plan to stick with, I simply wanted to ride.

20120728_102413.jpg

And you know what? I had fun. Something clicked. All of my long rides from last year came rushing back to me and I remembered how fun bike rides can be.

20120728_102330.jpg

Now I just have to remember this feeling to keep it up. :)

I took my time getting to the bike trail. I didn’t feel as great of a need to rush out the door as I do with running. I pressed snooze more than once, watched some of last night’s opening ceremonies (p.s. I liked the show! I thought the journey through London’s history was very well done, it kept me interested.), and had breakfast.

Two pieces of whole wheat toast with almond butter, pumpkin butter, ground flax seed, walnuts, and raspberries.

Then it was bike time.

I set out with 30 miles in mind, and was surprised how quickly the 15 mile turn around point came. The trail was packed with people and I never felt alone.

20120728_102407.jpg

Which can be a good thing and a bad thing. Like when I left one foot clipped in at a stop light, lost my balance, and fell. Whoops. That was embarrassing. I made it all the way to my car before I noticed the scratches on the back of my leg. Looks like the chain got me on the way down.

20120728_113732.jpg

It took me just under 2 hours to cover all 30 miles (including a stop to refill my water bottle on the way back). When I returned to the car, I put my bike up, did a quick shoe change, and headed out for a quick 2 mile run.

20120728_113742.jpg

The run almost didn’t happen. It was hot and I knew the run would be hell in the mid-day heat. I wanted to bail, but kept thinking about Miami 70.3 and how i need to start picking up my workouts in preparation for it. I told myself that it was only 2 miles and if it was really that bad, I could turn around a half mile in and be happy with it.

Turns out it wasn’t that bad. The two miles went quickly and I even managed to keep an 8:17ish pace through both. Yes, it was only 2 miles, but I’m darn proud of those 2 miles!

After the run, I rushed home and had a post-brick smoothie.

IMG_8431.jpg

• greek yogurt
  • chocolate whey protein
  • frozen cherries
  • milk
  • ice
  • honey peanut butter

IMG_8435.jpg

Totally hit the spot.

Lunch wasn’t too far behind. I had some of last night’s leftovers with some cheesy bread.

I got lost in a book this afternoon.

On-the-Island.jpeg

When thirty-year-old English teacher Anna Emerson is offered a job tutoring T.J. Callahan at his family’s summer rental in the Maldives, she accepts without hesitation; a working vacation on a tropical island trumps the library any day.

T.J. Callahan has no desire to leave town, not that anyone asked him. He’s almost seventeen and if having cancer wasn’t bad enough, now he has to spend his first summer in remission with his family – and a stack of overdue assignments – instead of his friends.

Anna and T.J. are en route to join T.J.’s family in the Maldives when the pilot of their seaplane suffers a fatal heart attack and crash-lands in the Indian Ocean. Adrift in shark-infested waters, their life jackets keep them afloat until they make it to the shore of an uninhabited island. Now Anna and T.J. just want to survive and they must work together to obtain water, food, fire, and shelter. Their basic needs might be met but as the days turn to weeks, and then months, the castaways encounter plenty of other obstacles, including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the possibility that T.J.’s cancer could return. As T.J. celebrates yet another birthday on the island, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.

Honestly, not something I would have normally picked up (stranded on a desert island? crazy age difference in characters?), but it came highly recommended by my friend Jackie and I trust her taste. I downloaded it around lunchtime and couldn’t put it down. It’s a quick read (I’m already halfway through) and a definite page turner. The author develops the love story in a way that isn’t creepy and I actually find myself rooting for the two characters to make it work. If you’re looking for a good beach read, I’d highly recommend it.

Derek and I were in the mood for Thai for dinner.

I ordered some sort of veggie and tofu dish.

It was good, but I found myself stealing bites of Derek’s pad thai and wishing I had ordered the same. Next time I will. :)

What? Chocolates? Where’s my fortune cookie?!

We stopped at Greenwise on the way home and opted to split the yo yo cookie for dessert.

Whoa. That sucker was rich. Good, but rich.

I think I’m going to get lost in my book again. (crossing my fingers they get off the island soon!)

Good night!

1 Sana July 28, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I read the free sample of the book on my Nook, but I never bought it. Let me know if you liked it or not!

2 Devon @ Answering Oliver July 28, 2012 at 11:51 pm

That sounds like an awesome book! I’ve never gotten a fortune cookie with Thai food… I think you’d need to get Chinese food for that? : )

3 Meghann July 29, 2012 at 12:03 am

The last place I had thai we got fortune cookies http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/06/06/we-swim-for-thai-food/ :)

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats July 29, 2012 at 3:42 am

Awesome pace for a humid two miles AFTER the bike ride, you should be proud! And I’ll have to add this book to my To Read list, I wouldn’t have grabbed it myself either but if it’s quick and impossible to put down then I’ll have to check it out! I just got Sisterhood Everlasting from the library and can’t wait to read it!

5 cathy@1970kikiproject July 29, 2012 at 6:04 am

what a very fun saturday!!
thanks for the book suggestion…i am reading a lot more than usual this summer, always looking for new ideas.
LOVE your bright shoes!! (brooks?? i am a sunning shoe addict!)

6 Meghann July 29, 2012 at 10:26 am

Yes! They’re PureConnects, Brooks minimalists shoes.

7 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 29, 2012 at 6:14 am

Pad thai is always my favorite thing to order from Thai restaurants. :) Your tofu dish looks good too though!

8 Kath July 29, 2012 at 7:02 am

I just finished that book last week! Really enjoyed the story :)

9 Lauren @ Part Time House Wife July 29, 2012 at 7:26 am

I’m terrified of clipping in 90% of the time. I’m not an avid cycler so I’m major awkward with the clips and absolutely did a slow-mo fall near a public restroom at a park. Moritifying! lol

Nice job on the run ;-)

10 Allison July 29, 2012 at 7:54 am

So , a love story between a 16 yr old and a 30 year old? Seriously? And you are rooting for their relationship?

11 Meghann July 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

I know, I know, sounds horrible, but the way the author develops the relationship it isn’t creepy. *spoiler alert* they’re stranded on the island for almost 4 years and the relationship doesn’t start until TJ is 19. It’s not your traditional love story.

12 Cait's Plate July 29, 2012 at 8:01 am

I am the same way with yoga. I go in and out of phases with it and when I’m in an “in” phase – I can’t believe I ever didn’t do it!

13 Rachel July 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

Always get the pad thai!!

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 29, 2012 at 9:52 am

I had Thai last week with my friends and our fortune cookies were stale and the fortunes were SUPER lame…you’re probably better off with the chocolate. ;)

15 Hayley July 29, 2012 at 11:47 am

That toast looks delicious, I’ve never put berries on my morning toast! Also, I love your neon shoes. Are those good for long distance running?

16 Meghann July 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm

They’re Brooks’ minimalist shoes – the PureConnects. You can read my full review here: http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/07/17/brooks-running-pureproject-giveaway/ You should slowly make your way up to long distance in them. The longest I’ve gone it 5.

17 Marie July 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm

It’s not a minimalist shoe. Brooks classifies it as neutral. http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Pure-Connect/110108,default,pd.html

18 Meghann July 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm

It’s Brooks version of a minimalist shoe for people who have a neutral stride.

19 Tiffany July 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Are you kidding re: the fortune cookie? It’s hard to detect tone online, haha.

The last place you went to may have served them but fortune cookies at a Thai restaurant are far from authentic (not that actual restaurants in China have them, but it’s definitely more of an Americanized Chinese restaurant “tradition”).

20 Meghann July 29, 2012 at 10:42 pm

That was some of my – admittedly bad – humor kicking in. :) Also, never claimed the Thai Restaurant was authentic.

21 Candice July 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I have yet to ride my bike again.. sigh.
I really need to get on that…
For some reason its my least favorite.. I LOVE running and swimming but having to search for my padded shorts, pump up my tires, plan a route, hook up the bike rack on the car and drive to the start, change my shoes etc.. that takes to much time.. I’m full of excuses I know.. ha!!

22 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’ve got my fingers crossed that I get a bike next summer! After reading your recaps from your half IM and watching a few friends complete half IMs, I’m definitely feeling inspired! I just need to get over my fear of open water swimming!