more ยป" />

When Coffee Goes Bad

by Meghann on July 27, 2012

Cousin love!

Doesn’t Jessica look just like my mom? Our moms are identical twins and she definitely takes after them more than I do. Where’s my light hair and fair skin?!

My cousin Jessica was in Tampa for the day with her son Jason, and apparently I’m not the only one who raves about Taco Bus, I guess my mom is a fan too. When my mom heard Jessica was coming to Tampa she stated it was a requirement that I take her there for lunch. Yes, ma’am. No arguments here.

I always love to share the Taco Bus love, and I was happy to hear it did not disappoint. Even Jason was a fan. The extremely pick eater finished his plate of “just meat and cheese” tacos without leaving a crumb behind.

I ordered one pollo verde taco and one with shredded pork. No crumbs were left on my plate either. ;)

Stuffed.

Even though the visit was a short one, it was nice to spend some time with my cousin. Growing up the two of us were inseparable (we’re only 6 months a part in age), but that changed as we got older. We both moved far away, she became a mom, I became a crazy running person, and we, well, grew up. We can’t exactly get together and play dress up while rocking out to the Spice Girls anymore, but we can come together for lunch and play catch up. Sometimes that’s all we need. :)

When Coffee Goes Bad

I want to take a minute and rewind to my post this morning. You know, the one where I admit I can’t make a pot of coffee to save my life. Which is true, I can’t. It’s something that sounds sooooo simple, yet I find incredibly frustrating.

As a few of you mentioned the labeling on the side of the package is usually pretty standard – 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds per cup of water. hmm… yeah. I’ve stared at that statement many times trying to figure it out.

I can’t believe I’m going to admit all this, but here goes nothing.

There are no labels for “cups” on the side of my coffee pot, only ounces. So, when I read the instructions, the first thing I think of is “well…what do they mean by ‘cup’ of water?” Do they mean how many cups of coffee you want? Are they referring to an actual measuring cup? Traditionally there are 8 oz in cup servings – could that be it?

Yep, that’s my mind over thinking it. I do that. A lot. And when I do, strange things come to my head.

For instance, one time I broke out the measuring up and counted how many “cups” of water filled my pot. Then I put as many tablespoons of ground coffee in the filter. It didn’t work.

Another time I divided the ounces on the side pot by 8 and did the math for how many “cups” of water that equated to, then again added as many tablespoons of coffee. It didn’t work either.

Then I just started guessing based on what “looked right” (that’s when it started getting really bad).

Derek finally told me that he put 3-4 spoonfuls of coffee when he makes a big pot, so I tried his method. Apparently we had different ideas of what “spoonful” meant because my first pot I made was too weak, and the second was too strong. This is where I really started losing steam.

When we were in Vermont last February, I had a friend try to teach me how to use the french press for the first time. They told me it was “so easy” and “impossible to mess up.” I did it twice. Both times looked like muddy water. Ugh. Maybe coffee and I are just aren’t meant to be.

I’m telling you these incredibly embarrassing stories to prove a point. You see, something that might seem so incredibly simple and basic to you, might be frustrating and difficult to someone else.

I was over thinking the coffee instructions and they got the best of me. Go ahead. Laugh. Secretly judge me, call me names for not knowing the difference, whatever, but I know I’m not the only one. I know there are plenty of people with similar stories involving thing that are supposed to be just as simple to do, yet they turn it into something so complicated.

I can’t make coffee. I also can’t do laundry, properly make the bed, or sweep the floor without my trusty no-fail swifter.

But you know what I can do? I’m good at dishes, I’m great at cooking, and I seem to have an odd talent for cutting perfect apple slices. I also make a mean cup of hot tea and can navigate myself around Google faster than the average person.

I have things that I’m bad at (and others excel at), and I have things that I’m good at (and others aren’t so good at). Derek might cringe every time I do a load of laundry without messing with the correct settings, but I’ll do the same thing when he loads the dishwasher and doesn’t get enough of the crud off (p.s. our dishwasher stinks), we balance each other out.

So let’s get all of our faults out in the open. Name one thing you’re really bad at (making coffee, making the bed, baking pies) and one thing you’re really good at (eating cake, cooking chicken, making adult beverages). Let’s show that none of us are alone. We all have our faults. We’re human that way.

1 Casey July 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Meghan—this post cracks me up and I am exactly the same way!! I just totally feel you on this one. I have the EXACT same questions about the coffee, which is why I also have a Keurig. Yummy and easy. :)

Another thing I suck at: simple math. Like, it’s so bad I can barely subtract. I kid you not.

I’m pretty good at being organized!

Cute post :)

2 Casey July 27, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Oh, apparently I’m bad at spelling names too ;) Sorry!

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Something I’m really good at: cuddling with my boyfriend or various (domesticated) animals.

Something I’m really bad at: cleaning the counters. I always manage to leave smears, streaks and crumbs everywhere no matter what.

4 Liz July 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I am really good at cooking and REALLY terrible at baking. Everything I bake ends up gummy, or dry, or funky in some weird way. If there was a single serve cookie machine, I’d definitely get it. ;)

5 RunInBoise July 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm

It took me, like 4 years to figure out how much coffee per pot of coffee for the BFs coffee pot. Half a coffee grinder (we only use fresh whole beans) for a 6 cup half pot. Full grinder for a 10 cup pot. (our pot says is a 12 cup) If I don’t use the grinder (standard Krups grider), my coffee is either too weak or too strong. Maybe talking with a Starbucks barista will help you. They have to be trained in this sort of stuff, right?

6 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) July 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Your tacos from the Taco Bus look amazing! I hope to live in a city that has food trucks someday. Those photos also make me very glad that I was planning on making Mexican tonight because otherwise I probably would have changed my meal plan.

One thing I’m really bad at: Keeping in touch with old friends (I feel horribly guilty about this). Also, unloading clean dishes from the dishwasher in a timely fashion.

One thing I’m really good at: Decorating Christmas cookies

7 Mary @ food and fun on the run July 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I am the worst ironer in the whole world! Most often, you can’t even tell that I have ironed something, because there are so many creases!! Marcus does all of the ironing in the house!

I am pretty good at cooking and cleaning up my mess at the same time. A lot of times when I am finished making dinner, you can hardly even tell that something was cooked – other than the prepared meal and awesome smell of course ;)

Love this post Meghann!!!!

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Bad: cleaning. of any kind.

good: listening to people.

9 Krissy @ Shiawase Life July 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Don’t ever feel like you have to apologize! :) Like you said, we’re all human!

I am terrible at: cleaning the floor – vacuuming or mopping (thank goodness we got a Shark Steam Mop) and chopping food – I am so scared of cutting myself!

Good: coming up with good meals with random ingredients (much like your creations!) and handwriting things.

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’m really bad at remembering people’s names, even if I JUST met you and you told me your name 2 seconds ago. My memory fails every time.

I am good at making coffee and baking. I thank working at Starbucks for 5 1/2 years is to thank for that one.

11 Anne July 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm
12 Doc (The Healthy Ph.D) July 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Man, you must have had some rough comments this morning! I’m not even going to look to see what they said.

Bad: Vacuuming-The noise bothers me and I hate it. Sticking to one glass of wine. Sleeping – I’m a terrible insomniac.

Good: Making myself exercise and try new things. Cooking. Caring about my students even when they are awful to me.

13 Nina July 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm

If you can make tea you can make coffee! Typically tea is 1tsp per cup and coffee is 1tbsp per 6oz. Coffee ‘cups’ are usually 6oz not 8.

14 Meghann July 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thanks, I think 8oz is a typical glass size (8oz of water, 8oz of milk, etc),which is where I was getting confused.

15 Stepf July 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm

1 cup = 8 fluid ounces

16 Alex July 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I think a cup of coffee, though, is 6 fl oz. Not sure why the difference, but that’s what I was always taught, and I have always seen that as the measurement online/in articles/etc.

17 Laura July 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm

So here’s the trick with coffee that no one tells you: a “cup” in the land of coffee is not 8 oz, it’s 6 oz. The standard is actually 2 Tbsp grounds per “cup” of coffee. What this means for me is that I make 12 oz of coffee for one of my mugs and I use 1/4 cup of grounds and 12 oz of water (1.5 cups). Also, I ALWAYS measure with a real measuring cup rather than spoons. Try it out! It’s never failed me.

It’s also worth mentioning that my mom likes stronger coffee and she now does 1/3 cup to every 12 oz of water. But start with the base ratio and if you like it stronger, increase the grounds a little bit.

18 Leah July 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Excuses, excuses. There’s a difference between over-thinking and refusing to think. Get a measuring cup (8 ounces, btw). Get a tablespoon (it will say “Tablespoon”). One and one. Two and two. And so on. You CAN do it. “Can’t” and “refuse to” are to entirely different things. You also CAN learn to make a bed, etc. These aren’t things that require skill. Just effort.

19 Meghann July 27, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I think there’s a difference between knowing how to make a bed and being good at it. I can pull the sheets as tight as I can, but there’s always odd creases that prevent the bed from looking perfect. And as much as I fluff the pillows, they look deflated. However, when my mom does it – it’s perfect every time. No creases, fluffy pillows, and it takes her 2 minute. She has bed making skills that I seriously lack.

20 lauren July 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

My mom’s really good at making beds too! She’s a nurse and I am 99% sure they actually had to practice the skill in their clinicals. Since age 3 she’s been trying to teach me perfect hospital corners. I try, it doesn’t look the same, but it works.

21 Mary July 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I’m a nurse, and we actually had a skills check off in making an occupied bed and an unoccupied bed! I take pride in how neat my sheets look when I make the bed! ;)

Things I’m bad at : Changing the oil in my car (dont tell my dad!), Brushing my hair (it’s wavy naturally and it’s hot in the summer) and unloading the dishes

Things i’m good at : Being a nurse , fur momma, fiance, daugher and friend :)

22 danielle July 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm

agreed–there is a difference between being lazy and “being bad at” something.

23 Laura July 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Haha Nina I was writing while you were posting about the 6 oz cup! Do you find that the 1 Tbsp of grounds to every 6 oz is really weak, though? That doesn’t seem like enough to me, and I like my coffee pretty mild!

24 Nicole N July 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’m really bad at sweeping/dusting/vacuuming/keeping plants alive. Also–baking. I’ll make one amazing batch of cookies or a fantastic cake, and the next time I try the exact same recipe, it comes out inedible. I can’t figure it out!

I’m great at cooking and trying new recipes!

25 erin July 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm

when i first starting making coffee, i literally filled the two coffee mugs with water, dumped them in a pot, with a little extra added for the condensation, then adding a heaping tablespoon (like silverware tablespoon) of coffee per mug. now i can just eyeball it. perfect everytime :)

so, im good at making coffee apparently haha, and reading! so fast! haha

im bad at folding towels and closing cupboard doors completely (haha i drive my boyfriend insane.. he can always tell when ive been rooting in the kitchen)

ps: this was my fav post of yours in awhile!

26 Sarah July 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I super, super suck at wrapping presents. I mean, there are NO corners and there is usually hair stuck on my tape. So gross.

I am really good at loving people. And making them feel loved. And loving them more.

I’ll take it.

Happy weekend, Meghann!

27 Chloe (In Fine Feather) July 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I’m super bad at cleaning the kitchen. Mostly it’s just me being lazy, but even when I do try and clean it doesn’t seem as nice as when my boyfriend or someone else does it!
However, I am really good at making a mess in the kitchen because I’m good at cooking. So while I cook, somebody else can clean & we all win :)

28 Whitney July 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Here is my never fail iced coffee recipe http://whitneyinchicago.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/better-than-dd/

And here is a pretty neato video about how to make french press coffee http://vimeo.com/18524628

Maybe don’t give up so easily.

29 Meghann July 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Thank you, Whitney. :)

30 Carrie July 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm

The cold brew method is so easy and so yummy.

31 Lisa July 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I am SO BAD at setting my radio presets – I have no idea how to do it.

I’m awesome at reading though; I’ve read 85 books this year.

32 Sheri July 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I’m terrible at making chicken! I’m a decent/average cook- but anytime I make chicken, I don’t even think it’s worth eating. I think I get so nervous about it being pink inside that I just overcook it.
I make up for it with my baking skills- I love to bake and I think that I’m pretty good at it!
Making a good cup of coffee isn’t the most important thing in the world, so don’t worry about it! That’s what you have the Keurig for!

33 amy July 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Terrible cleaner, never get all the crumbs, things never look fresh and in their place like when my mom or sisters clean. Worst speller you will ever meet! Have no decorating sense! I try but I am just not good at it. Pretty good cook/baker and planner/ time management! Great listener!

34 Emily @ Relishments July 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’m really good at drinking hot tea in hot weather, menu planning and remembering birth dates.

I’m terrible at time management, sticking to my posting schedule and doing laundry.

35 Melissa July 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm

One thing I’m bad at: picking up and putting away the random stuff my mom has been slowly giving me from my room at their house (my excuse: I have no idea where to put it) yet getting annoyed at my husband for leaving his stuff on the floor.

However, once I find the motivation to pick up the stuff, I’m pretty good at organizing it. I also make a mean dessert, especially when it’s chocolate (and it basically always is). :)

36 Mary July 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I can’t make coffee either, and that’s why I also LOVE my Keurig. Lake and Lodge is my favorite by the way. I do rock at laundry though, and I won’t let my husband wash my clothes:).

37 Ashley V July 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Hey everyone on your coffee high horse- it’s Friday! Be happy!!!

I’m also terrible at wrapping presents and here’s another one: cutting tomatoes! I hate hate hate cutting tomatoes. They always get smushy. However, I am good at cooking (and by that I mean following recipes, not devising my own) and being a good friend/daughter/wife.

38 Cher July 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I am also a terrible coffee maker. I’ve tried numerous coffee machines (single cup, multi-cup, french press). I’ve tried different coffee to water ratios, etc, just like yourself! It’s always too weak or too bitter!

Why are people so against Keurigs/Tassimos, etc.? I find it hilarious! Who cares what other people do! I just got a Keurig for Christmas, the same as you have, and I LOVE it. Sure, it’s more expensive, but I don’t drink coffee a lot (not even once a day) and I don’t use it for tea because, like you, I can make a mean cup of tea ;) My fiance also does not drink coffee, so it’s perfect! And when company comes over, I don’t have to say that, no they cannot have a cup of coffee, because I can’t make it! You’re not alone!!

39 Rosalie July 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I think part of the issue people have with the K-cups is that it’s so much trash. Are there reusable ones? We have flavia coffee now at my work, which is basically the same thing but with foil packets instead of plastic cups. Not sure if it’s any less trash but to me the coffee from that tastes way better than from a K-cup.

40 Carrie July 27, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I mentioned this in the last post, but depending the area, you can recycle the K-cups. You have to open it up and dump the grounds. And for 20 bucks (in Canada) you can get a reusable K-cup filter

41 Amy July 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

There is a reusable one (I think a couple different brands make them). They work fairly well. Keurigs are convenient but do make a lot of trash! There is a San Francisco Bay company that makes one without using a plastic container. The actual “cup” part is the same as a regular coffee filter.

42 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer July 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Sometimes I wish I wasn’t good at making coffee. My mom would always say I made it the best so I had to make it everyday. Same when I got married. I was always the one who made the coffee every day. Blessing and a curse. Some days I just wanted someone else to make the coffee…

43 Jennifer July 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm

It’s silly, but I think a cup for coffee purposes is 6oz. Some containers suggest 1 Tbs per 6oz cup, others suggest 2 Tbs per cup, and then of course, everyone has their own preferences! It took me so long to figure out a great balance of coffee and water. I’m not even sure if I ever got it right or just started drinking whatever concoction I made :)

I’m really bad at putting fitted bed sheets on. I never get it lined up the right way the first time, even when I think I finally outsmarted it! I am also bad at finishing drinks. I have a strange habit where there’s always a little bit left in the cup. I am good at baking, loading the dishwasher, and folding laundry!

44 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I’m terrible with directions. I always manage to get lost, even if I’m just driving to the next town over. Thankfully, my husband is a regular Magellan–without fail, I always have to call him to help navigate me to my destination! I’m also really bad at keeping plants alive.

45 Tiffany July 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Try as I might, I am terrible at “winging it” when it comes to recipes. If I follow the directions exactly, we’re OK … but if I try to get creative in the kitchen, look out! I also can’t paint my own nails to save my life.

One thing I’m good at? Reading to my son. I love, love, love watching his reaction to my voices and sound effects. :)

46 Julie July 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Meghann, I just want to say that you seem like such a nice, genuine person, with a good heart. It makes me angry to see people be mean spirited over you admitting that you aren’t good at something as silly as making coffee. Everyone has faults, and it takes a good sense of humor and a lot of self acceptance to acknowledge them and laugh at them like you have. I think it’s admirable. I consider myself an intelligent person, but my knowledge of geography is downright horrendous (and embarrassing). We all have things we’re good at and things we’re not, and you admitting your own area of weakness makes me feel better about mine! :)

47 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It July 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’m absolutely shocked at how people behave online. Most (not all) of those type of comments are trolls and just jump from blog to blog and make the same mean comments.

Hey I can’t cook OR make coffee (that is why I have a Keurig & French press lol) but I’m a great wife, good friend and I can bake (most of the time except for when I try to make banana bread ha ha).

Meghann, I just wanted to tell you that you are amazing. You are a strong woman, a great runner, good dog mommy, great cook and the list goes on.

48 Rosalie July 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Ah, I have to admit, I rolled my eyes when I read your post about not being able to make coffee — it’s so easy! But you make a good point, and there was totally a time when I didn’t know how to make coffee. If you have the instructions that came with the coffee pot, that also usually gives you a good starting point to experiment from.

I have this weird inability to book travel on the correct dates — I have booked the wrong flight SO MANY TIMES! It’s ridiculous because I love to travel and generally I’m very independent. But for this, I have to find the flights I want, and then make someone else look at it before I book it.

I’m pretty good at some other stuff, like thinking of awesome places to travel to, and baking delicious stuff.

49 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

That’s nice that you were able to have lunch with your cousin! One of my cousins and I are only one week apart, and I love spending time with her when we can. We’re both married now and live in different states, but it’s so nice to hang out when we’re able to.

50 CampingGirl July 27, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I am really bad at ball sports, I have no hand eye coordination.
I am really good at knitting and making lasagna.

51 Emily July 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm

In college, I lived in a house with 12 people, and I was always in charge of making the coffee. My dad taught me how, and I was surprised that my friends weren’t familiar with doing it. You’re right that it is a skill. Yes, we can all read directions, but I’ve found I need to tweak how much coffee I’m using depending on the brand and how we want to use it. No, it’s not super complicated to make coffee, but it is harder than just reading and following directions. It takes experimenting to figure out the proportions that work best, and some people are just not interested in doing that, and that’s ok. :) Also, I won that Keurig model in a blog contest last year, and just got it out of the box two weeks ago. So far, I’m not a huge fan. The coffee seems weak and tastes a little like plastic.

52 Hope July 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm

It wasnt until I watched the opening ceremony this morning that I realized I’m REALLY bad at geography!!
However I am awesome at a lot of other things – cooking, coffee, being a fur mummy :)

53 Steph July 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Hilarous! I’m Reeeeealllly bad at laundry as well. (mostly because I don’t like doing it!). I’m also really bad at math. I second guess myself with the simplest calculations! I’m really good at cooking and organizing!

54 Nik July 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Meghann, you can type (most) conversions right into the google search bar and it will automatically do the math for you. Just a tip and a way to expand your google knowledge ;)

55 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’m really bad at vacuuming the baseboards and crevices – I’m also really bad at ironing (SOOOOO bad) – and also cleaning the shower(probably because I just don’twant to).

56 Missy July 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Okay, I admit that I cannot make coffee either. The whole cup-to-water ratio is confusing, even when you Google it. All I wanted to know what how much coffee to put in my 12-cup coffee maker. How hard of a question is that to answer? No one seems to answer it straight out, but I did figure it out — I put 1/4 cup of coffee grounds in for my 12 cup coffee maker. And when I did this, yes it turned out great.

HOWEVER. *ahem* I LOVE my Keurig. My DH bought it for me for my birthday last year and I use it every day. On the weekends, I use it NON freakin’ STOP.

Is it wasteful? I suppose. But I’m not really that interested in being “green.” (Yeah, I’m admitting this — though we DO recycle). Is it economical? No. You can make coffee on the cheap.

It’s a total luxury item and I love it. And Meg, you will love yours too. Guarantee it.

57 Barb July 27, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Bad at?, making coffee..I make my husband do it all the time, and Im the one who drinks it.? Good at? movitation.. I get up every weekday morning at 5am to workout at our gym for at least 1 hour. . Bad at? non-patient people, Good at-being on time! Bad at? -some, and thats only some, plants!! Good at, some only some plants..:)- Bad at— directions!!!, Good at,— sleep thru car rides :)
Rock your positive, own your negative…Its who you are.

58 Amanda July 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Were people dogging you for not being able to make coffee?? Thats not fair! I grew up making pots of coffee for my parents, long story, but unless you grew up around it the process of making coffee can be pretty foreign. Like you said: we’re good at things and not so good at other things. I’m pretty good at laundry, a french press and parallel parking. I’m terrible at confrontation and time management. I’m also really shy.

59 Amanda July 27, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Now that you mention it, I don’t know how I made coffee either! I just kind of did. I don’t drink it anymore, but now I’m questioning the cup-grounds ratio. It is confusing!

I’m good at cleaning, parallel parking and being ridiculously organized. I’m really bad at math. Abnormally bad. I had to take a stats class last semester, and I had to study it every night to really get it.

60 Sarah July 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm

i am really bad at laundry. when people tell me they separate their lights and darks, i’m like..uhh…i just throw it all in there. :P i’m really good at being creative in the kitchen though! :) hot dog stir-fry? why not? :D

61 Victoria (District Chocoholic) July 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I AM CAKE EATING CHAMPION.

(not really, but that line was funny)

62 Mary July 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Brian makes terrible coffee too! Really, it comes out like Tar every time he makes it! Thats why I’m in charge in the mornings to make the coffee :)

63 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete July 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I love this post – and the comments! I’m terrible at remembering dates – it took me YEARS to remember Nate’s birthday. I’m also awful at laundry, cleaning, cooking…pretty much anything domestic. But I’m really good at public speaking – which I definitely don’t take for granted!

64 sally kate July 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Bad: I always shrink Logan’s shirts in the dryer.
Good: I keep the dishes clean.

PS- I can’t make coffee at ALL with a regular coffee maker- I have somehow covered more than one entire countertop with an overflowing coffee pot. However, I’m the master with the french press. If you can boil water and spoon 3 rounded tablepoons of ground coffee, you’re half way there!

65 Jenny July 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

As a former barista, coffee should be brewed 2 T. to every 6 oz. of water. If that is too strong or too weak, adjust your roast, not the amount of coffee.

66 Jameil July 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

LOL! Poor thing! Who hurt your feelings over the coffee?? That wasn’t very nice! Coffee makes me crackish so I don’t like it. I get extremely jittery. So I see no reason to know how to make it. Likewise, I have no babies and the vast majority of my cousins are old enough to have changed my diaper. I didn’t grow up knowing very many babies & have never changed a diaper. I’m totally cool with that, too. I’m great at baking & cooking from scratch. I hear what people say when they explain that they don’t know how to do one or the other but both come very naturally to me so I still don’t get it. I also make magnificent drinks– alcoholic and non-alcoholic!

67 Katherine July 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I cannot make brown rice to save my life. Just like you and coffee, it seems like a no-fail operation, yet mushy on the outside crunchy in the middle is always the result.

However, I do make the worlds best blueberry lemon scone.

68 Susan July 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Excellent post Meghann! We all have things we suck at and other things which we just rock. With practice you’ll get the hang of making a great cup of coffee just like with practice I think I’ll get better at making bread. Right now, however I totally suck and trust me when I say everyone I know thinks it’s the easiest thing in the world to make.

Have a great weekend!

69 Dynamics July 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I thought I could NOT wash windows. My windows were so dirty I could not stand it anymore and broke down and washed them. I even took the screens off and washed them too. Dang that sun, it showed all the water spots from the winter rains. I tried vinegar, alcohol, foam window cleaner and a professional product you dilute in water. They finally looked pretty good, actually really good. The next day I heard a “thunk” and looked out the window at a big ole bird lying on his side breathing hard with a stunned look and I swear he was using some choice tweets to me. Guess my windows are clean. And the bird bounced up after about five minutes and all is good. I now have a things hanging on my windows to keep the birds safe.

70 Elizabeth Austin July 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I am terrible at doing dishes…anything involving money…and answering the phone. However, I am excellent at balancing fun and discipline with my children…baking…and writing poetry.

71 Sloane@ Life Food and Beer July 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I can not make sweet tea to save my life. I’m originally from the south. Sourtherns should know now to make sweet tea. I also can’t make anything fried or gravy without messing it up! (I don’t like tea or a lot of fried food either though) my family always called me a Yankee :) but I can make a mean tomato pasta, I can grill or bake chicken to perfection and make homemade pasta like an itialian. I read your blog daily almost and get annoyed with some of the comments people make. I think a lot of people forget that this is YOUR BLOG. The number one thing I read as a new blogger is “write a blog you would read!”. Who cares if you can’t make coffee. Like you said, there are countless others things you can do! And I’m glad you will not be quiting your day job to go work at Starbucks anytime soon bc I enjoy reading your blog!!

72 Ali July 28, 2012 at 12:01 am

I’m pretty horrible at sweeping the floor, I can never seem to get all of the dirt but I’m pretty good at remembering people’s birthdays and random dates! By the way, something that might be helpful to you is that a standard”cup of coffee” is considered to be 6 oz so you would do 1tbsp per 6oz of water. The keurig pretty much rocks though! =)

73 Jennifer Alderfer July 28, 2012 at 1:26 am

OMG Taco Bus FTW! It’s been too long since I’ve been there, I know where I’m going tomorrow!!!

74 Betsy July 28, 2012 at 1:37 am

Wow, your cousin really does look like your mom!

I’m not great at cleaning, but my husband is. I’m a very patient person, usually calm in stressful situations, and my husband is the opposite. We balance each other out a lot like that.

75 pluvk July 28, 2012 at 2:39 am

I am really, really bad at keeping anything neat and tidy. People crack up because I’ll take extra time to wind up cords and plugs all nice and neat, and within ten minutes it’s a tangled mess. I cannot figure it out! I also cannot do my hair, so it’s always in same two styles: long and straight, and messy in a bun.

What I am good at is doing my makeup, making salads (I make a killer salad!), and remembering things. I have a pretty good memory, which used to drive my dad insane when I was growing up. “You didn’t say that, Dad! I remember our exact conversation… you were wearing the blue shirt, Mom was sitting over there, etc.” :-)

76 Jess July 28, 2012 at 6:16 am

I am with you on the coffee and making beds. Lots of delicious coffee places around and I keep the bedroom door closed with the un made bed. Problem solved :)

77 Sneakers2Sandals July 28, 2012 at 8:17 am

Cute post idea Meghann! It’s funny because I am terrible at folding laundry but my husband is perfect at it…except he doesn’t know how to do a load of laundry and I do :)

and ps. I HATE MAKING THE BED but I do it every day and I totally agree with your reply to a comment above. I try SO HARD to make the bed look pretty but no matter what I do it always looks shlumpy and weird.

78 Sarahf July 28, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’ve been told I make a terrible cup of tea, which for a Brit is almost a crime! I am pretty good at making banana bread and tabbouleh. I’ve never attempted coffee, but it’s the type of hung that totally flummoxes me!

79 Kate July 28, 2012 at 9:11 am

I’m terrible at ironing!!! But I’m pretty good at scrambled eggs!

80 Cait's Plate July 28, 2012 at 9:11 am

Oh my gosh she seriously does look just like your mom!! That’s crazy!

81 Grace @ Eat Sweat Sing July 28, 2012 at 9:49 am

I swear it took me FOREVER before I could finally make a decent pot of coffee! I was exactly like you in that I made it way too complicated. I thought the same thing about the directions on the bag…. Do they mean an 8 oz cup of water per tablespoon or fill up the pot to the number of cups you want??? Haha Glad you have that Keurig to give you perfect coffee! :)

82 Samantha July 28, 2012 at 10:11 am

I couldn’t make coffee to save my life either!! That’s why I got my Keurig (and because my Starbucks spending was WAY WAY out of control)! It always tasted like battery acid when I made it. Bleh.
But I am a phenomenal baker. And I can vacuum like no one’s business ;)

83 Marty July 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’d say I’m good at cooking up random meals based on whatever I have on-hand (kinda like what you mentioned) and am a good swimmer (thanks to my high school swim team and lifeguarding experience).

I’m NOT so good at ironing!

By the way…what’s with the whole coffee debate? What’s the big deal? Didn’t they invent Keurig machines to take the guess work out of it and to make it more convenient for consumers? Go for it! Take advantage and make it easier for yourself. I do make my own coffee each day but have never thought anything of someone that didn’t know how to make coffee. This is all kind of a silly debate if you ask me.

84 Heather July 28, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m good at baking but I am just awful at ironing. It should be easy but I am just laughably bad at it. :)

85 Anne July 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Did you mean SWIFFER, not SWIFTER?

86 Lindsey July 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’ve owned my car for close to six years now. I have NO idea how to change the clock. It’s fine for 6 months out of the year (give or take). I’ve always found that the incorrect time will bother a passenger enough–usually a male passenger if we’re being honest–that he will figure it out and change it.

We all have things we’re good and bad at and things that we’ll improve on. Did you ever think your mom makes the bed perfectly because it was your mom who made the bed and it’s tied up in a lot of nostalgia? I’m never sure if my mom’s sauce was that good or if I just loved it because that’s what I ate growing up.

87 Cacmuffin July 29, 2012 at 5:39 am

This posted made me giggle! You’re so right !!! I am a horrible horrible driver…..maybe one day I will have enough practice

88 Caitlin July 29, 2012 at 11:01 am

I learned to make coffee by my Fiance explaining to me how many tablespoons of coffee beans and how much water we use when we’re both drinking it (4 1/2 tbsp’s coffee beans and fill the water to the 6 on the pot) and then how much for when it’s just me or we’re only in need of a smaller pot (3 tbsp’s coffee beans and fill the water to the 4). So I really don’t understand the #’s either, I was just told where to fill it and how many tablespoons (and we use an actual tablespoon so there isn’t too much fluctuation with the size of spoon fulls) for how much we need.

I’m terrible at ironing, microsoft excel (it is the most NOT user-friendly program ever), cycling with clip-less pedals (I don’t actually cycle, I just fall over).
I’m a great speller, I can cook really well, and when I run I’m really good at keeping a consistent pace and conquering hills.

89 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner July 29, 2012 at 11:02 am

Ok, I love this post. It totally opened my eyes. I also have no idea how to make coffee (no judgment from me), but I am good at cleaning, loading the dishwasher, folding laundry, making the bed, etc. As for my hubs, he sucks at that stuff and I constantly get frustrated when he tries to do any of them! But, you know what? He is really good at fixing things, hanging pictures, and cooking. Like you said, we balance each other out perfectly – and THAT’S what makes a marriage work! ;)

90 Sara@RunningInPinkProject July 29, 2012 at 11:26 am

Taco Bus!!!! I went there with my husband during my May trip down to visit with him and got so sick. :( Im hoping it was just a fluke because it was a really good meal!

91 Brigid July 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm

This is fun! I make terrible guacamole and hummus. I don’t know why, since I am a good cook and able to follow a recipe, but both always come out tasting off. My husband also says I am an awful dish washer, so I happily leave that to him. I am an expert stain remover, however, and I make kick-ass cookies.

92 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes July 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Too funny! I want to come make you coffee because no one should be without it! I saw someone said they were bad at wrapping presents and I’m gonna steal that one too. It’s embarrassing. I’d rather just hand someone their present.