1 Day Away

by Meghann on July 26, 2012

Guess what?!

304784_10151133966570329_375945233_n.jpeg

(source: NBCNews.com)

The Summer Olympics are almost here!!!

Who’s excited?! Me! Me! Me!

I already have my DVR set to record all Olympic coverage on both NBC and MSBC over the next two weeks. Let’s just say it’s a good thing we recently upgraded to a DVR with extra storage space (because we’re crazy TV-aholics like that), I think we’re going to push the limits this month.

I heard something interesting while I was watching the Today Show on the treadmill this morning (30 minutes total with 3 minutes at 8.0 and 2 minutes at 4.0). Matt Lauer was interviewing Ryan Seacrest and asked his opinion on what sort of impact he believes social media will have on the summer games since this is the first summer games where social media will have such a huge presence.

When I first heard that question, my initial thought was “2008 wasn’t that long ago, surely social media was alive and well back then.” Which is true, it was, but not nearly as giant of a power house as it is today. During the last summer games all I had was a Facebook account and a phone that could only call and text people. I was reading blogs, but I wasn’t blogging yet. This summer Olympics I belong to more social networks than I can remember, I blog three times a day, my phone works harder than my computer, and Twitter delivers breaking news stories faster than any other traditional does. Things have changed.

It will be interesting to see how the summer Olympics are hyped up through social media this year, just as it’s interesting to see how they hype up any other major event or tv program in the world of social media. I plan to use it to get to know the athletes on a more personal level. I know for the last summer Olympics I loved reading the competitors’ bios on NBC.com, now I’m looking forward to following them on Twitter and seeing their journey develop through their own voice.

How do you think social media will impact the summer Olympics?

After the treadmill, I did FitFabCities.com “Perfect 10 Lean Legs Workout.” It’s definitely one that gets your legs movin’ and your heart pumpin’!

Breakfast was a cereal and yogurt mess.

• plain greek yogurt
  • peach
  • raspberries
  • Kashi Blueberry Clusters
  • Almond Vanilla Granola
  • walnuts

Oh, wait. Did I say mess?

Here we go.

That’s what it really looks like when I eat it. ;)

Maddie says “Get to work!”

She’s the boss!

Laters.

1 Kaitlyn @ Chocolate Running Shoes July 26, 2012 at 10:51 am

Social media is so interesting! I’m already following a few athletes on twitter, and following them via twitter through the trials was unreal! It really helps build connections with the athletes, who will likely develop larger than normal fan bases. We can also show our support much more directly via twitter by simply tweeting “Good luck!” to any athlete! Craziness.
Kaitlyn @ Chocolate Running Shoes recently posted..Peachy Peachy Peach

2 hellonheelshon July 26, 2012 at 10:56 am

I LOVE the summer Olympics too! Swimming and gymnastics are my favorite competitions to watch. What are your favorites? I’m so excited about the opening ceremony tomorrow night!!! :)

3 Meghann July 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I’m looking forward to gymnastics, swimming, and the marathon, but I always find myself surprised on which sports bring me in. :)

4 Elisabeth July 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

I’m psyched for the Olympics. I work 3rd shift & always make sure I have the night of the Opening ceremony off ;) I’m looking forward to that, swimming & diving, gymnastics, tennis and track & field.

5 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward July 26, 2012 at 11:51 am

I was just telling a friend the same thing about my DVR this morning! She said she didn’t have it and I invited her over anytime to watch what she missed at my place! :)
Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward recently posted..Wednesday Workout

6 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

I’m super excited. I just posted on FB about it this morning. I looooovelovelove the Summer Olympics.
Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep recently posted..My cooking: Coconut macaroons.

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

It will be great for me because I don’t have a TV; it will help keep me updated!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

8 Lynna July 26, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Actually, competition began yesterday with women’s soccer. USA beat France 4-2, among other games. Today it is men’s soccer.
Lynna recently posted..Let the games begin…

9 Brenna July 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I’m so pumped for the Olympics!!! I’ve been thinking a lot about the effects of social media on it actually. I really love watching on TV (especially swimming!) and I don’t like to find out any results before I have watched for myself. I’m really worried social media will ruin that element of surprise for me. I’m wondering if I should completely avoid Twitter during the Olympics so I don’t find out results before I see them!

10 Christine @ BookishlyB July 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I think Twitter is definitely going to be a huge force in the Olympics this year. I know some runners (like Shalane) have handles, so hopefully we’ll get some cool insight by following them.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Where You At?

11 Annette @FitnessPerks July 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm

YAY!! I LOVE the Olympics!! :) I want to follow all the athletes I love–off to find ‘em ;)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Whole Wheat Protein Zucchini Bread

12 Sam July 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I live in London so I’m extra excited about the Olympics! There’s such a great atmosphere in the city at the moment. I’ve got tickets to one of the athletics sessions, so I’ll get to see the men’s 1500 metres, 800 semis and women’s hurdles final live. Cannot wait!!

13 Charlie (The Runner Beans) July 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I am super excited about the Olympics!! I went to one of the torch relays on Tuesday and it got me so pumped for it. I am also lucky enough to have tickets to the Mens 100m qualifiers, Usain here I come! Commuting to work across London is not so delightful though.

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I love to watch gymnastics, diving and the track events – so interesting!

It will be interesting to see the effects of social media – even looking at the winter Olympics 2 years ago I think you could see a bit of an impact. And social media has only gotten more powerful since then! I hope the people behind the Olympics take advantage of it.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Back For Vengeance + A High-Protein Breakfast Recipe.

15 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) July 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I am so excited for the Olympics! I’ve been reading some tweets by my favorite athletes about the voyage over to London. I can’t wait to read them as they get ready for their events. It’s neat to get that inside view of what they’re going through to prepare.
Beth (Running with the Sunrise) recently posted..Why I love the running community

16 Angela July 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I think social media will make a difference but just the media in general has been unlike anything I remember from previous Olympics. With the last ones being in China there was obviously not going to be as much coverage of things outside the events but in the UK at least we have had non-stop Olympics for months. The silliest little things that probably every previous event has had to deal with has been headline news here. God knows how many planning disasters we don’t know about for games before the age of internet and 24 hour news.

I am excited though. Think I scared the post man with my excitement when my tickets arrived!

17 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I’m a huge social media junkie, and I’ve loved following the Olympics and a few athletes on Twitter. Being “connected” to them throughout training and trails has been so fun, and makes it that much more fun to cheer for someone who invests a little of their time to keep fans informed.
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..The Versatile Blogger Award

18 BroccoliHut July 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm

It’s funny that you mention that particular part of that interview because I thought the same thing–was 2008 really that different for the social media scene? Yes! I didn’t have Twitter yet, and I probably checked FB maybe a couple times a week. Fast forward to today, and I’m on FB all the time, Tweeting, Instagramming, Pinning…I can’t wait to see how that changes my “Olympic experience.”

19 Coco July 26, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I’m so excited for the Olympics!!!

20 Sneakers2Sandals July 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm
21 Sara@RunningInPinkProject July 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Ive never really been a huge fan of watching the Olympics but for some reason this year Im super excited for it. :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Catching a Train