more ยป" />

Dehydrated

by Meghann on July 25, 2012

Happy Hump Day!

I woke up this morning with a horrible headache. I went to bed feeling a little dehydrated, so I’m assuming it had something to do with not drinking enough water yesterday (something I’ll admit I’m bad at keeping up with). I got out of bed and chugged a huge glass of water, which helped. Then I went back to bed for another hour and chugged another glass of water when I got back up with my alarm. The headache did eventually subside, so my dehydration theory must not have been far off.

I brought a water bottle on my run this morning just to be sure and continued to drink during my 5 miler, even stopping to refill the bottle at the 3 mile mark.

The humidity was awful this morning. It wrapped around my body like a thick blanket and left me feeling sticky and gross. Whenever I find myself wondering where my motivation to run this summer has disappeared to, all I have to do is remember that hot and humid feeling from this morning and I’m instantly reminded – training in this weather just isn’t fun. Fall weather can not come soon enough.

Post-run breakfast.

Two slices of whole wheat toast with almond butter, pumpkin butter, nectarine, dried cherries, and a dusting of ground flax seed.

The #SurviveOn35 Challenge ended last night. I learned a lot during the challenge, especially how much I take the ability to buy certain foods for granted. Nut butters are a big one. I have 4 different jars currently in my pantry. Each jar ranges anywhere from $4.00 – $7.00 a pop and lasts 3 weeks on average (they last longer because there are 4 that I’m constantly rotating and Derek rarely touches any of them). When the challenge ended this morning, it was the first thing I knew I wanted to include in my morning meal. I missed them.

One thing I regret about #SurviveOn35 is not finding a way to incorporate a simple jar of peanut butter in my grocery budget. I originally opted for more veggies and fresh fruit, but really a jar of peanut butter would have done a lot better at adding healthy fats and proteins to a few of my meals. Lesson learned.

I’ll be back later this afternoon with the rest of my thoughts on #SurviveOn35. That post is going to be a long one.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 Candice July 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

That breakfast looks really yummy! I am thinking about finally trying almond butter. I have heard very mixed reviews about the taste. Is there a specific brand you swear by? Happy Wednesday to you too!

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 25, 2012 at 11:07 am

It’s definitely interesting to have seen the way many people took on the challenge. I definitely think I’d have to find a way for peanut butter…but that’s just because I’m addicted! ;)

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 25, 2012 at 11:08 am

I hope you enjoyed that almond butter this morning, you certainly deserve it! And i always get awful headaches when I’m dehydrated, or like this week when I didn’t get enough salt after my half marathon! I had the worst headache until I figured out the problem.

4 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 25, 2012 at 11:47 am

I have a lot of stuff that I splurge on, mostly because of my special diet…

The things I spend the most on are bison, ground turkey, and fresh ground almond butter. And probably raw honey & almond/coconut flour, too.

5 Jessica @ New Girl, New City July 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I LOVE running but I definitely enjoy it better in the Fall, Winter, and Spring.. and I’m a lot faster in cooler weather!

6 Annette @FitnessPerks July 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I LOVE nectarines!! YUMM. Never thought about eating it atop toast though–good idea!

7 Kayla Moothart July 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm

When I saw the picture from your breakfast my first thought was – she is probably loving not having a financial restriction for what she wants to make! YAY! I grew up below the poverty line and love that now that I am older, have a career, and a husband with a job we are able to afford to eat what we would like. It is such a great feeling!

8 Emily N July 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Dehydration stinks. Especially when accompanied by a headache. At least you knew it was that and could deal with it.

9 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions July 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I can’t imagine running in Florida during the summer. We’ve had some pretty tropical weather in Chicago over the past month, and running in it has not been fun. Dealing with that all the time must take a lot of persistence!

10 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

First thing I do every time I wake up is chug a huge glass of water – definitely a good habit to get into.

Must be nice to have almond/nut butter back – I would definitely struggle if I had to go without it for a week.

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling better. I’m always really good at drinking water in the morning and while I’m at work but taper off in the evening. Now about an hour before I go to bed I fill up a bottle and make myself drink it before I go to sleep. This has helped a lot with morning workouts!

I’d miss nut butter too. I always rotate through a few jars!

12 Amy July 25, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I think your meals were a great example of how to eat healthy on a budget! Your so creative with meals!

13 Amy July 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I think you did an awesome job eating on a budget! Your creative with meals!

14 Laura B July 25, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Yay for nut butters! Not sure if you are a member (or even have) a costco, but I bought a mega jar of maranatha almond butter for around $7- so great!! I recently visited the Florida coast and every time I ran, I couldn’t fathom having to run there all the time. I have never been so hot and sweaty, and HOT!!! So props to you for sticking it out. I live in Colorado and even thought it is very hot, you don’t get so darn sweaty and sticky. So hang in there!

15 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) July 25, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I totally agree with you–I cannot wait for the fall. I have had more than enough running in the heat and humidity. Your breakfast looks like it was delicious. I’ve never tried flax on toast but it looks like it’s an easy way to get in a little extra flax (and Omega-3s).

16 Cait's Plate July 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm

The challenge was so fun to follow! I definitely want to try it sometime. It will be interesting to see the foods I prioritize and miss the most.

Breakfast looks delish – a worthy award for completing a hard challenge!

17 Steph @321delish July 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I wonder if buying peanuts in bulk and making your own PB would have been worth it…probably not, and probably not something someone relying on food stamps would do.

18 Hellonheelshon July 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Waking up dehydrated is the worst.. glad you’re feeling better!

19 Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself July 25, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I totally agree about the weather!! Yesterday was a little bit cooler and I went for a run. It reminded me why I like running so much!!

20 Macrae July 25, 2012 at 8:04 pm

A $3 jar of nut butter doesn’t seem like it would have been a bad choice during the challenge if it would have helped with hunger and energy. Is there a reason you left it out? Just curious

21 Meghann July 26, 2012 at 11:37 am

The jar of peanut butter was one my “maybe” pile and when it came tie to grocery shop I could make it work with the budget. It was my error leaving it out, next time I would definitely find a way to leave it in.