The Last Meal

by Meghann on July 24, 2012

Look what I started today!

Screen shot 2012-07-24 at 9.12.24 PM.png

It’s my Miami 70.3 training plan!

Did you forget I was doing a 70.3? Yeah. Me too. Between prepping for my sister’s wedding, traveling across the country, co-planning the Healthy Living Summit (less than one month to go – holy cow!), dreaming up my own wedding, and the rest of my day-to-day blogging and freelancing responsibilities… I…uhh… sort of forgot about it.

Which is strange because I was SO on top of it for Augusta last year. Check out my weekly training logs – I was committed! Now? Not so much. What’s different between this year and last? Schedule? Time? Knowing I’ve already done it once and can do it again? I’m not sure, but I wish I knew.

Luckily I’m not the only one doing Miami 70.3 in October. My brother and sister are joining me, as well as our friend Amber. I also have an XP teammate, Stephanie, who is doing her first 70.3 in October at another location. My sister tweeted us all this morning with the outline of her plan, which sparked a few tweets among the group on how we all need to get all out butts in gear. I heard them all loud and clear. I opened Kelly’s plan and immediately began working on my own. It’s not close to ready yet, but I’m working on it and that’s a start! Hopefully I’ll have something more to share next week. :)

Are you training for any major races this fall? Have a plan yet? Maybe we can all make a pact to have ours done by such-and-such date? ;)

Tonight was my last meal for #SurviveOn35. Considering the random items that remained in the fridge, I’d say this meal wasn’t half bad.

Pretty good, right?

Let’s see. Here’s what I had to work with.

• carrots
  • chicken sausage
  • cabbage
  • corn tortillas
  • eggplant (unpictured)
  • pasta sauce (unpictured)

hmmm…. what does one do with all that? Make dinner – that’s what.

First I sliced the eggplant and roasted the slices in the oven at 415 for 20 minutes.

Then I chopped the cabbage, carrots, and sausage and threw it all in a pan.

The veggies and sausage became a taco filling.

And the eggplant was topped with pasta sauce and served on the side.

When you get to the bottom of the fridge, the best thing to do is just combine it all and see what happens. I made it work.

Also, cabbage, carrots, and chicken sausage is an oddly delicious combination that went well in the taco. It was fresh and very summery, I would make that combo again. :)

Alright. Here are the totals from tonight’s meal:

• 1/2 cabbage: $0.88
  • 3 chicken sausages: $1.28
  • 3 carrots: $0.27
  • 5 tortillas: $0.30
  • 1 eggplant: $1.48
  • 1/4 jar pasta sauce: $0.50
  • Total: $4.71
  • My portion: $1.57
  • Derek’s Portion: $3.14

And that’s it. #SurviveOn35 is over. I’ll have a full recap up tomorrow.

Good Night!

1 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Bravo! Yay for being creative!
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..When in doubt, find a coffee shop

2 Jessica @ New Girl, New City July 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I never got to race the races I had planned 2 years ago as I ended up with a stress fracture in training (and I haven’t raced, or been in racing shape, since) and I realllllly want to get into racing shape for the Fall and finally, FINALLY, complete my first 5k and Half!
Jessica @ New Girl, New City recently posted..My Life Via Instagram

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 24, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Congrats on finishing the challenge! Eager to hear what you have to say about it when you recap – would love to hear Derek’s thoughts as well!

That is definitely showing creativity in the kitchen…I think some of the best meals I’ve created have come from throwing random stuff together and seeing what happens.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..It’s Not Lobster, But It’ll Do.

4 The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 24, 2012 at 10:56 pm

interesting. i’d like to know how much you have left out of the rolled oats.. and everything actually.. were there any leftovers?
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..I’m not Scared

5 Meghann July 25, 2012 at 6:19 pm

There wasn’t much left of anything. Maybe a cup of oats, a couple of tortillas, and a carrot.

6 Lauren K @ Tomato Face Runs Again July 24, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I’m so impressed with how you carried out the challenge. Your meals looked yummier than the ones I usually make with a bigger budget!

I just signed up for my first half, so it’s time for me to start serious training. I’m nervous about increasing my mileage but excited too. I know that I’ll be so happy if I can do it!
Lauren K @ Tomato Face Runs Again recently posted..Online Clearance Shopping: Summer Running Outfit

7 Priscilla P July 25, 2012 at 12:14 am

Just letting you know I’ve REALLY enjoyed witnessing your surviveon35 challenge day by day! It’s one of the things I’ve been looking forward to everyday :) I would love to try some of the improvised dishes. Love your blog!

8 Meghann July 25, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you! That comment really means a lot :)

9 Army Amy* July 25, 2012 at 12:26 am

I’m really looking forward to hearing your final reflections on the challenge!*
Army Amy* recently posted..An Ideal Day

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 25, 2012 at 7:03 am

Congrats on finishing the challenge! Can’t wait to read your final thoughts. I think your dinner looks yummy :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: My Bachelorette Party!…

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats July 25, 2012 at 7:42 am

I’m actually training for my first marathon!! I think you take training really seriously the first time because you really dont know what you’re in for, I only have this plan and the advice of friends to get me through. The second time around you have your own past experience plus the knowledge that you have done it before!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Race Day

12 Steph @321delish July 25, 2012 at 8:20 am

Uh, yeah I need to get on this! How are you creating yours Is it based on last years? Maybe I can recruit Felipe to help me. I’ve only followed a training plan for my first tri…
Steph @321delish recently posted..Jersey Shore Bachelorette Party

13 Meghann July 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Based a little off of last year. I want to add in some more speedwork though. Are you free this weekend? We should get together and hash this out!

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 25, 2012 at 9:37 am

Good luck with the training plan! I’m excited to see how it comes out!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {Staycation}

15 Amy July 25, 2012 at 10:22 am

Those tacos look awesome…..love chicken sausage

16 Juli D. July 25, 2012 at 10:33 am

Can you explain what’s going on with your ModelFit training plan from Peak Fitness? I recall you starting but that’s about it.
Juli D. recently posted..Engamorial Day Weekend 2012

17 Meghann July 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Hi Juli, I thought I answered this question with you already? The trainer’s schedule didn’t work with my schedule and I discovered online training wasn’t going to work either.

18 Juli D. July 26, 2012 at 7:57 am

I had asked it before but couldn’t remember when/where so I didn’t want to dig through posts – I never got an email that a reply was posted. Bummer you’re not doing the program, I was interested to see how it went!
Juli D. recently posted..Engamorial Day Weekend 2012

19 Emily N July 25, 2012 at 10:41 am

Nice job with your survive on 35 meals, you really rocked it and the food all looked pretty great!
Emily N recently posted..Bootcamp

20 Brittany July 25, 2012 at 11:10 am

That’s great – I’d love to hear more about your HIM training and plan! I have my first HIM coming up in September and used the same Amateur Endurance plan you used for your last one – thanks!!
Brittany recently posted..HIM Training: Week 6

21 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 25, 2012 at 11:45 am

I just spent the weekend cheering on some friends who did a sprint and Half IM Tri. It was such a fun atmosphere! I want to buy a bike next summer and train for a Tri, but the open swim portion scares me!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..The Versatile Blogger Award

22 Beth (Running with the Sunrise) July 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I always have such a tough time figuring out what to do with the leftover stuff in my fridge! Looks like you’ve got it down, though. If you have any tips for putting meals together with somewhat random ingredients, let us know! It might make for an interesting blog entry if you’re looking for an idea. :)
Beth (Running with the Sunrise) recently posted..Tuesday and Wednesday Runs

23 mary @ minutespermile July 25, 2012 at 4:14 pm

that’s awesome! i wish i could stick to $35 a week, but i eat way too much of everything. the end.
mary @ minutespermile recently posted..current events