more ยป" />

Wedding: Flower Girl

by Meghann on July 23, 2012

Derek’s beautiful niece, Marley, will be stepping in and taking over the role of flower girl for our wedding.

When Derek and I got engaged last January Marley was only 7 months old and just learning to pull herself up on things. Now she’s starting to talk, walk, and has even mastered showing off where her “nose”, “ears,” and “mouth” are when instructed (I can’t tell you how much fun it is to Facetime with her and say “Marley where’s your nose?” and watch her point to her nose. Technology rocks!).

By next January, Marley will be 19 months and who knows what new things she will be getting into. By then she’ll seem like such a big girl in our eyes, but a still a baby by flower girl standards. I’ve been holding out picking out her dress simply because she’s growing like a weed and who knows what size she’ll be come January.

How do you handle selecting dresses for a toddler? Do you wait until last minute? Make your best guess at a size? I honestly have no idea.

It’s only recently that I started pinning potential flower girl dresses to give myself an idea what’s out there. I’m still not sure if any of them when work, but it sure is fun to look.

Let’s call this the “fun” dress.

Beautiful, no? Too bad these dresses go for $$$ on etsy, I love them. So angelic and fun. I’m not sure the dress is exactly practical for a 19 month old, but one can dream.

Now picture the above dress with a cardigan.

This is a requirement for the flower girl dress. We’re getting married outside in January. Granted it’s Florida and it could be anywhere from 50 degrees to 80 degrees just before sunset, but I want to make sure all the girls have an option to be covered with a cardigan. The same rings true for my bridesmaids.

Here’s a dress with attitude.

Source: goo.gl via Alfreda on Pinterest

Only silver/grey instead of gold. I feel like it has a rustic vibe. I love how it’s dressy, not formal. A lot of the dresses I saw were very formal and grown up. This one is fun and girly.

Alright, forget the dress – how adorable is this little girl? Love.

The dress is great too. I love the cream color (not a fan of the ultra white flower girl dresses) and also love the texture. It would look great with a cardigan and wouldn’t be too heavy or uncomfortable for her to wear. This simple style is definitely a high contender.

Last, but not least, the pillowcase dress.

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Cute, comfortable, easy to pair with a cardigan, and budget friendly. I also think it fits with our theme. Doesn’t get more rustic chic than this. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also spoke with my aunt about creating a baby’s breath head piece for Marley to wear.

Source: google.com via Sydney on Pinterest

And I’ve already spoken with my grandfather about creating something similar to this for her to carry down the aisle.

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Only it will say “Uncle Bubba, Here Comes Your Girl” ๐Ÿ™‚

Will she actually carry it? I have no idea – but my fingers are crossed!

Did you have a flower girl? What did she wear? Carry down the aisle? Any cute or funny stories about either?

1 Cris of Kiss My Tulle July 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Those dresses are incredibly easy to DIY on your own! Just buy a pretty dress from Target or Walmart and then add the tulle in layers at the waist (you could even separate the dress at the waist and add the tulle to the skirt, then sew the two halves back together). Very sweet!
Cris of Kiss My Tulle recently posted..Partnered Post: Honeymoon Pixie Honeymoon Registries

2 Becci L. July 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm

We actually had 2 flower girls…both under the age of 2!!! They carried small baskets with artificial rose petals to toss…One of them insisted on going back and picking them all up when they got to the front of the chapel. I had some hesitation about their age and the fact that they didn’t know each other, but were expected to walk together. By the end of the reception, they were best friends and were caught several times licking frosting off of cupcakes and then replacing them on the cupcake table.
Becci L. recently posted..New Themes: The Great Adventure, The Columnist, and Vintage Camera

3 Michelle July 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I didn’t have a flower girl at my wedding – but watching my little girl get to dressed up for my brother’s wedding was SO FUN! She loved every minute of it and the pictures with her and the bride/my brother are adorable.

If you could…try to get the flower girl dress at a consignment shop (check out Once Upon a Child in Orlando) or maybe even borrow one. I LOVE the dress that Livie wore in my brother’s wedding, but it was $180 (with tax and all that jazz). Seriously.

Because it was going to be chilly at the wedding (Sonoma at night gets down to the 40s/50s) I picked up a cute little pink cardigan from Target. It was the least expensive thing she wore – lol!

As for sizing – get the size of the age she will closest to – so for her, I would probably go with a 2/2T.
Michelle recently posted..Saturday Morning Motivation

4 Hillary July 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I was the flower girl in my cousin’s wedding when I was 9 or 10, and I was so nervous that I forgot to throw any flowers down! Whoops.
Hillary recently posted..Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

5 Rachel July 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Eric’s niece is our flower girl. She’ll be 3 & we’re hoping she’ll be ok (she didn’t do so well as a 2 year old at a wedding last year). I just bought her dress this month & our wedding is in September. Definitely wait as long as you can to buy the dress. This was her 2nd dress because she already outgrew the 1st. I bought it onsale at J. Crew for $35 & I git the 1st dress in sale at Target for $5!
Since we’re getting married in a public park throwing petals is out of the question so we’re getting her a bubble gun. I guess makes her our bubble girl!

6 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm

oh my gosh! those are precious! i love little girls in fancy dresses — makes my heart melt:)
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Carrot Cake Pancakes! GF, V, BED, SCD!

7 erica July 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm

my flower girl wore a dress in the same fabric as the bridesmaids (my friend designed and made all of them). it was adorable ๐Ÿ™‚ she carried a basket w/petals, very traditional (i love the here comes your girl sign. i wish i had seen that before i got married!)

our aisle was pretty short, so she had a lot of petals left when she got to the end. so she just flipped her basket over and dumped out the rest. hahahaha.
erica recently posted..three-oh

8 Lauren @ Part Time House Wife July 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE adorable flower girls and the cuteness they bring to your big day! Love some of your dress options. I waited til just about the last minute for my flower girl dresses and they ordered them slightly bigger and had them hemmed.
Lauren @ Part Time House Wife recently posted..Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Pops {Low-Fat}

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I looooove that first dress! And I have no wisdom on the flower girl, my brother and sister-in-law didn’t have one because they didn’t have any young girls in either family. I do remember when I was 6 my grandmother was getting remarried and I was so upset they didn’t make me a flower girl. I realize now that it was a very simple ceremony without a bridal party…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Chicago Rock N Roll Half Race Recap

10 Claire July 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm

We had two flower girls. One was my niece and was 8 and the other was my husband’s niece – she had just turned 1 around the wedding. It seriously could not have been any cuter! She toddled down the aisle barefoot & honestly stole the show. I actually found the younger one’s dress at a Strausburg store on major clearance & bought it one size up, because I knew it could always be altered. My sister ordered my niece’s online about 4 months out, but since she was older, there was less of the chance of a huge growth spurt hitting. This shows some cute pics we got of them both going down the aisle: http://thepoleys.blogspot.com/2012/02/our-wedding-aisle.html. My older niece rang a bell to signal me coming down the aisle, the younger had a little ball of flowers to carry – but dropped it somewhere along the way ๐Ÿ™‚
Claire recently posted..Happy Weekend

11 Michele July 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Eeeekkkk – love all the dresses; REALLY love the heart, bet she does carry it!!

Our flower girl dropped rose petals as she walked down the aisle – during rehearsal she stopped in the middle of the aisle and said “do I have to pick up ALL these petals when I walk back out” – LOL

12 SB July 23, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Very cute options for her dress. I would also urge you to check out Etsy.com for affordable & cute options. Your first “fun” dress made me think of others I’ve seen there. Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Monica C. July 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

My flower girl was 5 when I got married. She rang a bell while skipping down the aisle (we were married outsdoors) and said, “The bride is coming, the bride is coming!!” It seems like yesterday, but she just finished her freshman year in college! ๐Ÿ™‚
Monica C. recently posted..11 Random Things

14 BroccoliHut July 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm

All those dresses are so stinkin’ cute!

I wish we could have a flower girl. We don’t have anyone that is the right age right now, as my church doesn’t allow anyone under the age of 5 to be part of the wedding. Ah well–my niece and nephew (both infants) can be honorary flower girl and ring bearer ๐Ÿ™‚
BroccoliHut recently posted..Road Trip Eats

15 Erin @ erinberries July 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Such cute dresses! I’m not married, but I can’t wait to pick out all of these types of things whenever I get married.
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Competition of Cheeses

16 Elisabeth July 24, 2012 at 12:19 am

LOVE the 1st dress! ๐Ÿ˜€

17 Nanita July 24, 2012 at 12:21 am

Seriously lucky for us who visit the Mouse here in Orlando is the home of http://www.Pegeen.com – Childrens Designer Wear. They are THE most beautiful flower girl dresses ever, they are a US Manufacturer and not the cheezy stuff from China. I visited their design studio downtown a bit from Disney but so worth the visit!

18 Sarah August 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm

so cute, I love the fun dresses! The cardigan looks cute with them too! A babybreath headpiece will be SO CUTE and the sign is even cuter ๐Ÿ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Green Pancakes

19 jamie April 30, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I am getting married in October of this year. I absolutely love the second dress you have pictured on here but can’t seem to find the source of who makes it so I can purchase! HELP! I am goin with a rustic theme and that dress would be perfecct for my flower girls!! Let me know if you know who has it ~Thanks!