Soup Weather

by Meghann on July 21, 2012

What goes great with a rainy day?

Soup!

Vegetable soup, actually.

Last night I took my first stab at homemade chicken broth. I simmered the leftover chicken breast bones with salt for a couple of hours on medium low. It was incredibly easy to do, not sure why I’ve never done it before.

The soup also featured a frozen vegetable soup mix.

I think the key to a good budget-friendly meal plan of healthy eats is having a good mix of fresh veggies and frozen. The frozen vegetable soup mix was $1.59 and included a medley of 6 different vegetables. It added a great variety of vegetables, without adding a hefty price tag.

The broth, vegetable mix, onion, beans, oats, and can of tomato went in the pot, then up to boil and back to a medium simmer for an hour.

We now have soup for days. Pretty good soup, too. Oats are always a great addition because they add a bit of chew and thicken the soup up a bit. If you’re looking for a good grain to add to your soup, oats are a cheap, easy alternative.

vegetable soup:

• pinto beans: $0.91
  • frozen vegetable mix: $1.59
  • canned tomatoes: $0.80
  • oats: $0.28
  • broth: (chicken price was included in last night’s meal)
  • 1/3 onion: $0.41
  • Total: $4.07

I would say I had about 1/4 of the overall meal, so roughly $1.02 for my portion.

Derek helped with the cornbread.

• Cornbread mix: $0.53
  • 1 egg: $0.14
  • 1/3 cup milk: $0.08
  • Total: $0.75

I ate a good 1/4 of the cornbread (more than what’s pictured below) for a total of $0.19.

After dinner (and the rain stopped) we headed to the bowling ally for date night.

IMG_8246.JPG IMG_8264.JPG

The first game started out AWESOME.

But went south from there.

Eh. It didn’t get much better than that. I think instead of feeling “warmed up” my arm just gets tired.However, Derek was on a roll. 4 strikes in a row?! He was on fire!

IMG_8265.JPG IMG_8270.JPG

Almost forgot lunch!

Derek and I made random leftover salads.

• cheese: $0.33
  • romaine lettuce: $0.25
  • cucumber: $0.38
  • lentils: $0.10
  • green beans: $0.35
  • tomatoes: $0.20
  • hummus: $0.30
  • Total: $1.91

Man, this post feels rushed – sorry about that! I think that just means I’m in need of some sleep.

Good nIght!

I’m participating in the #SurviveOn35 Challenge with Anytime Fitness and FItFluential. Check out THIS POST to learn more.

1 Erin @ erinberries July 22, 2012 at 1:42 am

Bowling is so much fun! Sometimes I turn the bumpers on so I get an advantage over my boyfriend sometimes. :) I’m a cheat, I guess…haha!

2 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 22, 2012 at 8:13 am

I totally feel you on the bowling thing. Sometimes I get lucky and do well, but most of the time my arm just gets tired and I end up throwing the ball ridiculously. One time I had a friend teach me how to curve the ball…that must have been an interesting sight.

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 22, 2012 at 9:01 am

I love how budget friendly soup is! And adding oats to soup? Might be genius. I haven’t heard of that before but I was so excited when I went to the bulk bins on Friday and got nearly 2 lbs of oats for under $1!!!

4 Sarah Koller (@SarahYFB) July 22, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’m really enjoying reading up on your experiences with Survive on 35- so much so that I’m going to participate in a similar (personal) challenge when I get home from vacation:-).

5 Army Amy* July 22, 2012 at 10:37 am

Oats in soup? Say what? Interesting. One of my new favorite soups has bulgur in it. Deelish! Oats are probably more cost effective, though.*

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 22, 2012 at 11:37 am

I never thought to add oats to soup, that’s a great idea! and I LOVE bowling! I’m so awful at it but it’s so fun!

7 Dana July 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I haven’t been bowling in a really long time. I should change that.
Also, a pressure cooker makes making broth and super REALLY fast and easy. Always nice to save on cooking gas/electricity and still have tasty food.

8 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Oh goodness, I haven’t been bowling in years! Must have been a fun night :-)

I never thought of putting oats in soup before – that’s actually a really good idea! I don’t like putting pasta in soup because I feel like it gets too soggy, so I usually tick with rice or barley – oats would be a nice change.

9 Lacey July 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

“Chicken stock comes from the bones and gristle of the chicken; on the other hand, chicken broth is made from the meat.”

Read more: Difference Between Chicken Stock & Chicken Broth | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7854228_difference-chicken-stock-chicken-broth.html#ixzz21NmE6JM1

10 BroccoliHut July 22, 2012 at 9:37 pm

You’re a nicer fiance than I am–Seth and I have been bowling together exactly once. I didn’t find out til we got there that he used to play every week during high school, so he’s like ridiculously good. Let’s just say that I am way better at the Wii version…
That soup mix looks so handy! Yet another reason I miss Publix…