more ยป" />

Too early for u-turns

by Meghann on July 20, 2012

You know it’s going to be a long day when you accidentally drive to the air force base on the way to swim practice at 6:30 in the morning. Whoops.

In my defense, the base was only about 1/2 a mile from the pool and I simply kept going straight instead of making my usual right turn. However, it was a little scary when I came up on a huge security gate area that was surrounded by armored cars. The traffic started closing in on me and I kept thinking “where am I?!” I knew there was a base in Tampa, but I had never actually driven to it. Well, now I can say that I have. It’s supposed to be a beautiful base, too bad I paid my visit while the skies were still dark.

Luckily the guards were really nice and let me do a u-turn out of the place. Once I turned around, I was able to get my bearings and eventually passed the place I was supposed to turn again. One more u-turn later… I made it to the pool.

There were just 3 of us today, so the workout was kept pretty easy.

Screen shot 2012-07-20 at 9.48.39 AM.png

12 x 100′s? Yawn. It was a lot of back and forth mixed with a lot of waiting. Not my favorite workout to date.

I ended up having to skip the cool down. Derek is having some repair work done on his car over the weekend, and it was my job to pick him up from the car place and take him to work. His car won’t be ready until Monday, so we will be a one-car family through the weekend. We actually planned it this way because we knew it would be easier to coordinate our schedules over the weekend, rather than the work week. We tend to mostly stick together and just drive over car over the weekends anyways, so it really just works out better this way.

I was starving by the time I arrived home, and more than ready for breakfast.

This morning’s pick was a bowl of yogurt, granola, and 1/2 a mango. Delish.

• plain yogurt: $0.60 ($3.39 for container)
  • mango: $0.50 ($1 each)
  • granola: $0.40 ($2.50 for box)
  • Total: $1.50

One last note…

My heart and thoughts are with everyone affected by the shooting in Colorado last night. What possesses someone to take others’ lives so cruelly like that, I’ll never know. Please remember to hug your loved ones tonight and remind them how much you love and appreciate them, you never know what tomorrow might bring.

1 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

I hate having to turn around in front of a crowd! =P It’s so embarrassing. It’s like “Oh you know, just turning around. My bad.” Especially in front of a base… I would feel like they thought I was being sketchy. Hahaha. I guess I’m paranoid like that.
Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep recently posted..My "cooking": Chocolate coconut milk popsicles.

2 Erin @ erinberries July 20, 2012 at 10:38 am

I can’t believe what happened at the shooting last night. Completely shocks me. How could a person do that?
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..Weight Loss Progress!

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

Haha whenever I have to do a U-turn I call it “whipping it”. And I was soooo freaked out when I saw that on the news this morning! My best friend lives in CO and her boyfriend works in Aurora. I don’t think I’ll be able to go to a movie theater any time soon, that’s just crazy that someone would do that to other people. Ahhh I’m getting chills again thinking about it.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Breakfast Galore!

4 Cait's Plate July 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

I’m so impressed with how well you’re doing with your Survive on 35 challenge!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Southern Boy Twice Baked Potatoes

5 Elisabeth July 20, 2012 at 11:24 am

I just can’t believe someone goes into a movie theater to do that! I’m definitely thinking today about everyone affected by it & hope that your readers’ friends & families are safe. I reallllly wanted to see that movie this weekend (loved the first 2!), but somehow it’s sort of ruined it for me (and probably other people – wonder how this will affect the opening sales of the movie – NOT that that’s what we’re worried about. Just a curious question).

6 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Simple and awesome breakfast. Love fresh mango.

My heart definitely goes out to those affected by the Aurora shooting.
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Life changer

7 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Well that’s definitely a bit of a wrong turn – must have been a bit intimidating to expect a pool and see a bunch of army getups.

Definitely praying for those in Aurora – that’s such an awful tragedy.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Blueberries Are Your Friend.

8 Jessica @ New Girl, New City July 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Oh the things we do when we are sleep deprived…
It was pretty awful to wake up to hear news of the shooting.. I can’t imagine what compels someone to take other’s lives like that.

9 Emma July 20, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Nice swim! I love 100′s. Do you do any drills during your warm-up or cool-down or do you just swim straight free?
Emma recently posted..I eat real food I promise!

10 Meghann July 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Swim straight the majority of the time.

11 Samantha Angela July 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I drove to a US Air Force base in Italy once when I was travelling there. Same thing happened– lots of security came out!
Samantha Angela recently posted..I’ve Been M.I.A.

12 Annette @FitnessPerks July 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm

It is SO sad about last night’s shooting :(

I love a good swim workout!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Love the Olympics Survey

13 amy July 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm

haha, I am miserable with driving directions, especially that early in the morning!
amy recently posted..Trusting your body

14 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm

oops! :) but what a delicious breakfast to greet you when you returned!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Spicy Pepper Pie! GF, V, BED, SCD!

15 Chuck July 21, 2012 at 1:43 am

Ha I had no idea there was an army base there.

How’s the swimming coming Meghann?
Chuck recently posted..Uniquely Normal