more ยป" />

Just a sprinkle of cheese

by Meghann on July 20, 2012

It’s been one of those weeks where the hours in the day seem to be shorter than the amount of work I have to fit into them. Healthy Living Summit is approaching at lightening speed and the team and I are working our tails off to keep up with it. We’re building something that we can be proud of, and we can’t wait to share it with all of you in Boston!

Busy weeks/days are the ones I’m thankful for quick leftovers.

I think I underestimated how much of last night’s stuffed cabbage lentil stuffing that I had left. I sent a nice size tupperware container of it to work with Derek this morning, and still had enough for today’s lunch and maybe even another meal. (not including the unused lentils i still have for veggie burgers) Lentils are never ending.

I quickly sauteed some chopped cabbage, and served the leftovers over it. I topped it all with all some grated cheese.

• Leftover lentils: $0.66
  • Cheese: $0.08 (block was $2.00 and it really wasn’t much – might be overestimating here)
  • Total: $o.74

Leftovers are a budget-friendly meal planner’s best friend (as many of you informed me on Wednesday).

Back to work!

Does anyone have big plans for the weekend? We’ve got zilch, and I think we like it that way. ;)

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

your lunch looks amazing! I need to make that filling! My plans for the weekend are dinner at a restaurant that serves gluten free pasta (so excited!) to carbo load for the Chicago Rock N Roll half marathon on Sunday!

2 Allison July 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Looks good! My husband wont touch lentils. I love them. They are so cheap and versatile.

3 Megan @ The Delightfull Dash July 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Looks delicious! Looks like you’re doing great with your budget!

I’m running my very first 8k tomorrow night! It’s also my first evening race. Any advice for what I should eat the day of and how many hours before?

4 Meghann July 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

The general rule is to now do anything different the evening before or the morning of the race. Eat what you would regularly eat before your long training runs. Part of training is not only working up your mileage, but figuring out what works and doesn’t work for your body. Every body is different. Good luck!!!

5 Megan July 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Great, that makes sense. I don’t have any friends who are runners, so I really appreciate the advice. Thanks so much Meghann!

6 Lindsey July 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

We are off to the fair tonight where I cannot wait to eat mini donuts, a family reunion tomorrow and a 10km race Sunday :)

7 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I actually love having leftovers. Mmmm. I get to enjoy the cooking all over again… without having to cook. (Other than reheating!) Winnnnn.

8 Annette @FitnessPerks July 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I LOVE leftovers!! Lentils make SUCH good leftovers actually–just had some lentil/ground turkey mixture leftover from stuffed peppers for lunch. SO delicious.

Fun plans with my husband’s family this weekend–wahoo!

9 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing July 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I agree..it’s nice to not have any plans for once!

10 Brittany July 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Moving to a new city tomorrow. So excited!

11 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I think I might check out a museum or two this weekend! Houston has a ton.

12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I have to make something with lentils and cabbage soon – I always forget how good it is! I also have a huge glass jar of lentils staring me in the face every day!

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I’ve got a family BBQ and a night downtown for a friend’s birthday on Saturday…going to be a good day!

14 Cait's Plate July 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Sometimes a nice down weekend is just what’s needed!

15 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Lentils are never ending in more than one way. We always find lentils all over the house after we prepare them! ;)

16 Emma July 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I never really ate lentils as a kid because my mom was allergic to them, but I love lentil soup – I should try using them more!
My big weekend plan involves flying across the country back to Baltimore…. yick.

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 21, 2012 at 12:17 am

Oh wow! That looks delicious!

18 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners July 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

This weekend is my hubby’s bday so we are going to see the Dark Knight (though I have to admit that it is tinged with sadness now. Really feel for the CO people) and then out to a yummy dinner!