Lentils. Are. Awesome.
High in fiber. Low in Fat. Rich in protein, folic acid, and vitamin C. These low-cost legumes are awesome.
Plus, you get a ton out of one little bag.
I knew these would be my go-to ingredient of choice when I was creating my meal plan for the week, so I created two major meals (with room for leftovers) around them.
The first – lentil stuffed cabbage.
Unfortunately, I still haven’t got the stuffed cabbage recipe down. The cabbage leaves needed to boil longer and the dish as a whole needed to cook longer on a lower temp. Eh. Live and learn.
However, the filling was spot on – and so easy to do. I just sauteed some carrot with onion, added 3 cups of cooked lentils, a can of diced tomatoes, and 1/2 a jar of pasta sauce. I brought everything to a boil, then let it simmer on medium low for 10 minutes.
Next time I should just skip the cabbage and eat the filling as-is. That’s pretty much what Derek I did anyways.
Here’s the cost breakdown of tonight’s meal.
- 1/2 bag of lentils: $0.90 ($1.79 for bag)
- 1/2 head of cabbage: $0.88 ($1.76 for head or $0.69/lb)
- 1 can diced tomatoes: $0.80 (BOGO deal)
- 1/3 onion: $0.41 ($1.24)
- 1/2 jar Publix pasta sauce: $0.75 ($1.49)
- 2 carrots: $0.19 ($1.89)
- Total for meal: $3.93 or $1.31 for my 1/3 of the total meal
I also snacked on some yogurt and the other half of my apple from breakfast this afternoon.
- apple: $0.58
- yogurt: $.42
- Total: $1.00
Dessert was another handful of granola
- Total: $0.18
Someone had asked for Derek’s totals for the #Surviveon35 challenge.
- Breakfast: Plum, Granola, and Yogurt $1.22
- Lunch: Bread ( $0.32), Ham ( $0.50), Cheese ($0.20), Carrots ($0.19) $1.21
- Dinner: Black Bean Tacos $1.72
- Breakfast: None
- Lunch: Bread ($0.64), Ham ($1.00), Cheese ($.40) $2.04
- Dinner: Stuffed Cabbage $1.31
- Dessert: Granola ($0.40), Milk ($0.21) $0.61
It should be noted that Derek drinks coffee (for free) at work. He also plans to accept free “office goodies” that may or may not pop up this week.
I’ll try to post his totals at the end of each day through the challenge. My plan was to get him to take photos, but I’m not sure that’s happening. Two days in – and no photos.
I’m also waiting to write all my final thoughts re: #Surviveon35 until the end of the challenge. I have a lot to say, but I think it’s better to say them until all is said and done.
I can’t believe tomorrow is Friday. Seriously, where did this week go?