Wedding: Cake Toppers

by Meghann on July 17, 2012

We have an idea of what we want for a cake, but what should we put on top of it?

I had some fun browsing cake toppers online (that new Etsy wedding site can really pull you in!) and these were a few of my favorites.

The funny one

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Funny because it’s true.

The alma mater one

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest.

Go Noles!

The adorable one

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

With a little wooden Maddie.

The rustic snowflake one

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

That one probably fits the theme the best. Actually let out a little yelp when I found it.

The message one

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Probably the most practical.

The initial one

Source: etsy.com via Meghann on Pinterest

Only M & D instead of a single initial.

Of course, those are all just browsing for fun. I have something a little different up my sleeves for our cake topper. I already reached out to a seller to see if she could create when I’m envisioning and she seemed up to the challenge. We’ll just have to wait and see!

What did you do for your cake topper?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I just e-mailed you a picture of my brother and sister-in-law’s cake topper. I’m pretty sure she also ordered it from Etsy, you can find the cutest stuff on there!

2 Renee July 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm

We used the same one my parents had on their cake.

3 Em July 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I looked at options for a cake topper but decided against one when I couldn’t find what I liked. We only had a sheet cake though so it wasn’t a big deal.

4 Sandy July 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love them all! I didn’t have a cake topper but have seen some where they actually make figures of the bride and groom and they actually look like them!

5 Lauri July 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Custom made Bobbleheads of the Bride and Groom woudl be adorable!

6 Carol July 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I LOVED the snowflakes BUT the first one is a riot !

7 Brie July 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm

We just had our florist plop a few fresh peonies on top and called it a day!

8 Krissy @ Shiawase Life July 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm
9 Magzii July 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I love it! That is beautiful and so crafty. I vote homemade!

10 Meghann July 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Adorable!

11 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love the first one! Definitely in the “funny ’cause it’s true” category.

12 Sarah July 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm

The cake topper wasn’t important to me and the bakery includes fresh flower topper in the price so I went that route. My main flowers were green hydrangeas so it really filled it out and worked with my theme… and kept things simple for me (which was my real “theme” hahah!).

I do love the little wooden people though. So cute with the little dog!

13 Rachel Wilkerson July 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I really like fresh flowers as a topper! Bonus that it was included in the price!!

14 kim@hungryhealthygirl July 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I love those! That first one is hilarious. It would have been pretty fitting for my husband and I too. Can’t wait to see what you end up going with. Wedding planning is so fun!!

15 Marianne July 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I got married in NYC, and had a pretty modern wedding, so I ordered this cake topper on etsy – http://www.etsy.com/listing/82192676/wedding-cake-topper-perfect-for (but in white). I LOVED it!

16 Meghann July 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I love it. Great selection!

17 erica July 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

mine looked exactly like an asian version of “the adorable one” ;p

18 Janine @ The Purple Giraffe July 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm

HA the first one is awesome. We actually did a Luigi & Princess Daisy (from Nintendo) cake topper for our cake – it was a HUGE hit and fit us perfectly!

19 Brittney July 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm

We went the floral route and had hydrangea on top of our cake. I loved it!

20 Ja July 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I like the first pic. =) So cute! I think it should best describe your personality. =) Check out this link where our wedding was featured.

We love snowboarding so we had snowboarding cake topper during our wedding.

Have fun planning!

21 Ja July 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm
22 Meghann July 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Wow! That’s a pretty kick-ass topper!

23 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Oh MY GOD! That first one is freaking AMAZING!! ;)

24 Patty July 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm

We actually used the topper from my parent’s wedding cake. I loved it!

25 Christy July 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Picking a cake topper is fun fun. We had personalized bobble heads on ours. I still love them today!

26 Jenn July 17, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Ours was made by the etsy seller who did the second one you showed (the FSU one). She did an incredible job and was so great to work with… highly recommend! She nailed every detail I asked for, down to Homer Simpson slippers on the husband… it was a huge hit and you can display it forever!

27 Meghann July 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm

She look like she does great work – I spent 30 minutes skimming every cake topper in her porfolio. Do you have a picture of yours?

28 Jenn July 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Sure… it’s the last picture when you scroll down this blog post:
If you want to see it with the cake underneath, I can e-mail you pics like that… I wanted it to feature my curly hair, painting and teaching, and my husband’s baking, love of the Phillies, and Homer slippers.
Hope that helps! -Jenn

29 Meghann July 18, 2012 at 11:02 am

Amazing! She did a great job, the topper is adorable. Love all the personal touches :)

30 Sarah July 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm

omg, you just HAVE to get the first one! GO FOR FUN!!

31 Mariell @ HealthyPantz July 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Our cake topper was one of my favorite wedding details! They were two little bride and groom dinosaurs (I’ve always loved dinos) that we had custom made on Etsy. I also combed Etsy for cute toppers and just always kept coming back to this one. Here’s the seller’s link: http://www.etsy.com/shop/theaircastle?section_id=7153530

Can’t wait to see what you guys pick!

32 Meghann July 17, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Adorable! I should have suggested that seller to my sister (her and her husband have a soft spot for monkeys)

33 Army Amy* July 17, 2012 at 8:06 pm

We got some extra flowers from our florist and put those on top of our cake. That was one of those things that was low on my priority list.*

34 Maureen July 17, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Our cake topper was a glass Cinderella & Prince Charming with our names & wedding date on it. My maid of honor bought it for us as an engagement gift {once she knew the date of the wedding obvi}. We now display it in our home.

35 Elisabeth July 18, 2012 at 2:52 am

I always love the initial ones!

36 Sarah July 18, 2012 at 11:31 am

I used my grandparents cake topper, which was super small so we put it on a pedestal (aka the little circle thing that comes in some pizza boxes) and put flowers around it.

37 Juli D. July 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm

My new last name happened to start with a D and my husband and I happen to be huge Detriot Tigers fans. So it was only fitting that we got the signature English D of the Tigers to be our topper.

38 Chatelaine July 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm

we had a vertical fondant striped wedding cake and so at the top was a fondant bow. like with tons of loops though, not just a two stringed bow.

39 Rachel Wilkerson July 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I like very simple ones, like the initials or fresh flowers or even the snowflakes. I don’t love the ones that are meant to look like actual people…I feel like they can very easily veer into creepy! That said, I really like the one with the dog you showed, and major bonus points to that Etsy seller for showing some non-white/interracial toppers in their shop! Honestly, I think part of the reason I don’t want to go the bride and groom route is that I get stressed out about the fact that there aren’t a ton of interracial couple toppers out there.

40 Sara July 18, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I bought a cake topper (but I’m not sure if we’re going to really get to use it now due to major wedding changes and me not liking the cake options I was given) that represents use both and how we met with these little rock climber groom and bride: http://www.darylsrockandwireworks.com/Sports-and-Hobbies-Cake-Toppers.php

I added a “Sara & Nick” to go on the actual top of the cake, too.

41 Amanda (modernation) July 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Those are all cute. We had little clay polymer figures made from a gal on Etsy. They were of our dog and cat – we sent her pictures and she did such a good job. Then I made a little sign that read “We do, too” and I glued it all to a mirror that sat on top of the cake. I LOVED it and still have it on a shelf in our house. One of my favorite wedding details.

42 Lara July 19, 2012 at 11:43 pm

No cake topper for me, but I would just do the monogram letters.