more ยป" />

The Light Show

by Meghann on July 17, 2012

Good Morning!

Definitely one of those mornings where getting out of bed was rough. I think I was still half asleep when I eventually made it to the car and had to blast the music to keep my eyes from shutting.

This morning was supposed to be my first morning back in the pool after missing an entire week of practices due to traveling. If it wasn’t for that fact, I’m sure I would have rolled over and snoozed for another hour, no problem. But I knew I needed to swim and I knew I had a whole group of people waiting.

Unfortunately I was less than a mile away from the pool when I got the group text that practice was canceled due to the “light show”…aka lightening in the area. What? The pool is 30 minutes from my house. I had driven 28 of those 30 minutes and was so. close. to the pool. How could it be closed?!

I pulled into a strip mall to rethink my plan. Since I was on her side of town, Mary asked if I wanted to join her for a run, but I had no running stuff. All I had was a swim suit, shorts, and flip flops. Fail.

I wasn’t sure what else I could do at 6:30 the the morning, so I turned around and headed back to my side of town. I stopped for a quick change of clothes, then decided to continue on to the gym.

It was amazing how much motivation I had lost between the cancelled pool and heading to the gym. I pretty much half-assed my workout because I was so tired and mad I had missed my swim. I’m still happy that I went to the gym and did something, but it clearly wasn’t my best workout ever.

After the gym I made a bowl of fruit and cereal for breakfast.

In the mix:

• 1 peach
  • cherries
  • walnut
  • chocolate almond granola
  • PB2

The bowl was mainly fruit. Really liked the PB2 and cherries, surprisingly delicious.

Have you ever driven halfway across town only to find the thing you drove over for was cancelled? Not. Cool.

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 17, 2012 at 10:12 am

Boo that’s definitely an annoying way to start off your morning, but at least you were still able to get in SOME movement. :)

2 Amanda July 17, 2012 at 10:14 am

That sucks. I’ve totally gotten all ready to go to the gym only to find out they’re closed or something similar when I got there.

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run July 17, 2012 at 10:17 am

Sounds like we had the same morning! I went to the gym too, but my workout was definitely less than stellar! I had nooo motivation. I just wanted to swim :(

4 Emma July 17, 2012 at 10:29 am

Ugh I hate it when that happens! That’s happened to me with lacrosse practices in high school. It sucks because I usually plan other things around those kind of activities so then I feel like my whole day is messed up, because I’m off schedule.

5 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 17, 2012 at 10:47 am

oh bummer…sorry to hear that. that’s so frustrating! at least you had a delicious breakfast:)

6 Erica July 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Good for you for still going to the gym. What a bummer. Breakfast looks yummy though ;)

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

That is really annoying! Props to you for even going to the gym afterwards. I would have been so frustrated.

8 Annette @FitnessPerks July 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm

OHHH major bummer. I’d be SO mad. But good job hitting up the gym nonetheless!

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm

That does not make for a good morning at all.

Hopefully your day has improved since then!

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm

That definitely takes the wind out of my sail! That just happened to me last week. I was all ready to run after work – the weather was gorgeous! As soon as I got to my house, it started to pour, thunder and lightening. And it didn’t stop. Major fail! Boo!

11 Leah July 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Ya, it must be rough having ZERO other committments, and having the OPPORTUNITY to go to the gym after driving all that way!!!

12 molly @ heart, sole & cereal July 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm

that is SO disappointing. i’m impressed you still went to the gym, i would have considered the emotional ups and downs my workout for the day and crawled back into bed crabby. the breakfast bowl looks cheerful so i hope that helped improve your mood!

13 Sarah July 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm

hmm peanut cherry combo sounds like something i would love!

14 Caitlin July 17, 2012 at 7:19 pm

YES! I’ve driven up to my school gym, about 25 minutes away, for a yoga class in flip flops to find it was canceled. And, similarly to you, I could’ve just worked out since I was at the gym, but I was in flip flops. Boo!