Wedding: Hair

by Meghann on July 16, 2012

It’s official. I have a hair stylist for the wedding!

The contract has been signed, the deposit has been paid, and we are all set for January 5th. Thank goodness!

To be honest, the hair was the one thing I was freaking out on (my sister, too!). We both have thick, long hair and a lot of it. Before this year, the last time I had any sort of updo professionally done was for prom or homecoming in the early 2000s. I kept having flashbacks to really severe, pulled-back-tight do’s of yester-years that had me freaking out a bit.

The task of finding a hair person made my sister so nervous that she held it off on the task until almost the last minute. It was just by pure luck that a friend was able to recommend Hi-Leen and that she was available on the day of the wedding. Kelly did a hair trial a week before the wedding and was sold. The morning of the wedding, she came in and worked her magic on all of the girls. She was professional, sweet, and a fellow FSU alum, what’s not to love?

I had a vague idea of a look I wanted based on a photo I had pinned.

I didn’t have the photo on hand, but I did describe it in detail. Hi-Leen worked her magic and twisted and pinned my hair into something stunning. It was probably my favorite updo I’ve ever had done.

I collected a business card from Hi-leen when she finished with all the girls and emailed her a week later. We sent a couple of messages back and forth before I met with her Saturday morning and signed on the dotted line.

This is one of those instances where I’m glad my sister got married before I did. Without Kelly I would never have met Hi-Leen and I’d still be stressing over the hair situation!

Right now the tentative plan is to get ready for the wedding at my parents’ house. Hi-Leen will meet us there the morning of the wedding and complete all of the girls’ updos before 2:00. Seeing as she was able to execute NINE updos the morning of my sister’s wedding (and made really great timing in the process), I’m confident in her abilities to keep us running on schedule.

Now I need to figure out how I want my hair to look the day of. I know I want it to be up with curls, but that’s about it.

Maybe something like this?

Source: weddingbee.com via Meghann on Pinterest.

Or this?

Source: pinstars.info via Junita on Pinterest.

hmmm…. luckily I still have time to decide.

How did you find your hair person for your wedding?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I love both but the second one, with the braid, is my favorite! And 9 up-dos?!? she’s impressive!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Swanson Products

2 Nikole July 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I have followed my stylist around salon to salon for the last ten years so I had my girl. She is so popular now that she doesn’t give up Saturdays to go on site for weddings but she did it for me. She did an amazing job and referred the makeup artist who was amazing. I paid for the girls hair and makeup as their gift.

3 Army Amy* July 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I love looking at wedding hair! I lucked into finding my hair stylist, I just called up a place in town and the woman was amazeballs!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Aussie Adventures: General Observations

4 Sarah July 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm

good luck! Your hair looked great at your sisters wedding ( it was actually similar to how i wore my hair at my own wedding!) The pictures your debating on are so similar and i love both but i LOVE braids so i vote for that one!
Sarah recently posted..Weekend Wrap up

5 Annette @FitnessPerks July 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm

My hair stylist did my hair. LOVED it! I just brought in a bunch of pics and she worked her magic–it was awesome!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..It’s Your Head Giving Up

6 Erin @ erinberries July 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm

The second one is much more organic. I love it! You could maybe even put some flowers in your hair.
Erin @ erinberries recently posted..A Past Life

7 Margo July 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Good choice on the hair stylist! Kelly’s hair was gorgeous!! I’m sure the stylist will give you just the look you’re dreaming of. I’ve been using the same hairstylist for several years now. I’ve followed her to two salons, so it was a no brainer to use her for my big day.
Margo recently posted..Good Times and Good Runs

8 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife July 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I actually had something lined up at a salon, and then didn’t like my hair trial. So two months before the wedding, I gathered names of every single person in Cincinnati. I finally found one that was available, although she didn’t return my call right away. Why? She had a baby like the day that I called her! I figured it was a pretty good excuse, when she did call just a few days later. Anyway, I really loved her and her partner, so it worked out all for the best. Getting ready at your parents’ house is a wonderful choice. It makes the morning so much more relaxing.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..An Announcement!

9 Gavi July 16, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I designed my wedding hairstyle based on the first picture above, as well as a few other inspiration photos. If you want to see photos of the style that I am wearing for my big day this weekend, email me! I have very curly hair and my stylist created a look that really accentuates the natural curls.

10 Laura @ sweatingforit July 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love braids in updos so I’d personally go with the second one!
Laura @ sweatingforit recently posted..Spillway Classic Trail Run

11 Holly July 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have to say I like the 2nd option for your hair- not that you were asking for votes/opinions, but as usual, I’m piping up anyway! πŸ™‚ I think it’s classic while still fun and in keeping with the outdoor rustic theme of your wedding. Something about braids just makes me think of cowboy hats and boots! Congrats on checking 1 more thing off your list!
Holly recently posted..Wordless Wednesday (mostly)

12 erica July 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm

i found my hair/makeup person through my wedding planner. i was at a loss since i’ve been a bridesmaids many of times and have never liked the end results so i was so skeptical. but i loved my end result! i just told her some things i liked and iddn’t like but let her work her magic at my trial and she did what i didn’t know i wanted. i LOVED it!

erica recently posted..Weekend in pics…

13 Maureen July 16, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I found my hair lady by asking around work, the gym, etc. I met with her a few times to go over ideas and have her work with my hair. I loved her so much that my whole family still goes to her for regular hair cuts, color, etc. 7 years later! πŸ™‚
Maureen recently posted..Oregon/Washington Road Trip: Days 12-14

14 Claire July 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I have had the same stylist for years, so I knew the second I was engaged who I was going to use. We started planning then! I grew my hair out, we experimented with colors, everything months before the wedding. I will say – I had multiple trial runs before the big day. It helped to figure out exactly how my hair would react to what I wanted it to do. Practice made perfect!
Claire recently posted..Love Never Fails

15 Stephanie July 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I got married in Las Vegas so I had my sister-in-law, a former hair stylist, do my hair and it worked out perfectly! She did such a great job! I also recruited another wedding guest, my husband’s friend’s fiance, to my bridesmaids’ hair.

16 BroccoliHut July 16, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I found my wedding day stylist through a wedding library. I know it sounds weird, but it’s just a place in my hometown that has lots of wedding resources in one place, including experts who plan weddings all the time. I went there and asked for a recommendation for a stylist. I called her, had her come do a “trial run” and hired her for the day! Here’s a link to my post when I talked about it, if you’re interested.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Trying a Low Gluten Diet

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 16, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Love those ‘dos! I actually went with a “half up” option because I never wear my hair up. I wanted to look like myself on my wedding day, and I knew the Husband would love it if I had some of my hair down!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..new and improved

18 Emma July 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm

The curls are pretty but I LOVE the one with the braid going around the back! That’s so exciting that you found someone to do your hair for the wedding – I think I might even stress out about that more than the dress if it were me!
Emma recently posted..Bread gators, windsurfing, trail running, and YOLO

19 Anne July 17, 2012 at 12:04 am

Random question for ya: What is the etiquette for paying for your bridesmaids hair? Wedding is waaaay in the future, but I’m so curious about little details like this. Does your stylist offer a group discount? Do you cover it all? Just wondering….

Also, your hair is beautiful down and curled, so that’s my vote πŸ™‚

20 Meghann July 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Traditionally the bridesmaids pay for all of their hair, unless the bride is gifting the hair styling as part of their bridesmaid gift. I managed to get a deal out of my stylist because I have a total of 7 girls needing their hair done. Since I was able to promise so many heads, she offered a bulk discount. I would suggest doing the research in your area to find out what the average is to help determine what’s fair. Good luck!

21 Hangry Pants July 17, 2012 at 1:15 am

Those were two of the pictures I brought to my hair dresser for the hair trial! πŸ™‚

22 Elisabeth July 17, 2012 at 4:08 am

Both updos are beautiful but I love the 1st one!

23 Samantha July 17, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Sounds like you have a great stylist! That’s the part I’m most nervous about when it comes time for me to plan a wedding. It’s so hard to find someone great! I think both looks are great, but I love the first one!

24 Jules @ Jog on Jules July 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm

The second one is amazing and I think you would look gorgeous with your wedding hair done like that xx I am really enjoying reading all about your wedding preparations πŸ™‚
Jules @ Jog on Jules recently posted..Re-post – I had a friend…

25 [email protected] July 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Oh mi goodness! I know Hi-Leen from FSU! We took several classes together and graduated at the same time. It really is such a small world! She’s a really great person, I had no idea she was doing hair now!

26 Katy July 24, 2012 at 12:20 am

Love the braided updo! You’re gonna look gorgeous!