more ยป" />

No Watch Needed

by Meghann on July 16, 2012

Good Morning!

It’s always nice to wake up in your own bed after a week of traveling. It’s also nice to just lace up your running shoes and head out the door without needing to look up where to go. I missed running my streets!

I did my favorite out and back for a total of 4 miles. I didn’t even bother to put on my watch. I’ve realized lately that I’ve been wearing my watch out of habit, but haven’t really been paying attention to the data. If I already know how long my route is – and I’m not worried about maintaining a certain pace – then what’s the point? I didn’t wear my watch on my run yesterday either and didn’t miss it a bit. Maybe this is the start of a new trend for me?

Still no food in the fridge, so breakfast came from the freezer.

I toasted the last of the leftover corn waffles and smothered them with almond butter, strawberry jam, flax seed, and walnuts.

On the side I had a big handful of Rainier cherries.

The cherries are starting to look a little rough after all their traveling adventures. I’m thinking of freezing the rest for smoothies. Frozen cherries are the best for smoothies, just be sure to remove the pits BEFORE you freeze them. Trust me.

What’s your favorite fresh fruit to freeze for smoothies? I’m also a fan of buying strawberries in bulk when they’re in season and super cheap down here. Nothing better than frozen strawberries in a smoothie.

1 Lindsey July 16, 2012 at 9:55 am

Mango! They are hard to find frozen here, so I have to freeze them on my own.

2 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed July 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

frozen bananas and frozen melon. However, is it a smoothie if it has gin in it?

3 Elisabeth July 16, 2012 at 10:03 am

Definitely bananas! It’s great to take the ones about to go bad or the brown ones on manager’s special at the grocery & freeze for a smoothie. So cheap, too!

4 Khushboo July 16, 2012 at 10:05 am

Frozen cantaloupe is also great in smoothies!

5 Amanda July 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

Strawberries and blueberries are so yummy in smoothies!

6 Cait's Plate July 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

Bananas are awesome for freezing.

Also – those waffles look incredible!

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

I LOVE frozen cherries! I’ve actually been searching for somewhere that sells just frozen cherries (not in a berry mix) and I can’t!

8 Meghann July 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Do you live by a Publix? They have a bag of just frozen cherries that I buy all the time.

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

ahhh I don’t! We don’t have them in Chicago, I went there all the time when I lived in Charleston, SC! I’ll check out some of our stores that are similar to Publix though… There are a couple I haven’t been to on my quest!

10 Emily July 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

I enjoy running without the watch every once in a while, especially for those shortie weekday runs when you already know where you’re going.

I love frozen blueberries. Since the blueberry season is so short it’s a good one to stock up on when you can.

11 Laura @ sweatingforit July 16, 2012 at 11:50 am

I don’t make a lot of smoothies but I used to buy frozen pineapple and then just put it in a tupperware container for lunch. It would be thawed out by the time lunch rolled around.

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 16, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Every so often I like to go out for a run without my watch too. It reminds me of why I started running in the first place (just a pure love of being outside and running) and helps me clear my mind without worrying about my pace or splits.

13 Beth July 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I actually really like cherries for smoothies. I love the taste of strawberries and raspberries, but I hate how when you put them in a smoothie you wind up drinking a bunch of seeds. Cherries are smoother. I also use blueberries fairly often because of their high antioxidant content.

14 Sarah July 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

corn waffles sound awesome, i think i need to make a big batch next weekend and freeze a bunch too!

15 Erin @ erinberries July 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I absolutely love frozen mangoes. I could eat them for ever! I love putting them in my smoothies too for something fresh and tropical. Their creamy texture replaces bananas for something different!

16 Candice July 16, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Lately I have loved running without my watch, no pressure!
Cherries are my favorite fruit right now!

17 Sara@RunningInPinkProject July 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Strawberries and Mango for sure! YUM!

18 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 16, 2012 at 8:24 pm

bananas. I’m pretty sure every smoothie i’ve made in the last 2 years has included a frozen banana. :-)

19 Emma July 16, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Frozen bananas are great, especially if they’re getting too ripe to eat normally.

20 Juli D. July 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Are you not working with that trainer anymore? Seems like there haven’t been any updates since the first day.

21 Meghann July 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm

HI Juli, Life got in the way of that one. HE changed the original plan I was on and we were supposed to start last week, but I was in Washington. I was going to give it a try this week, but I haven’t been motivated. I’m going to see how the rest of the week pans out, then i’ll do an update.