Sunday in Food

by Meghann on July 15, 2012

What do you do when your daughter brings home a great big bag of cherries straight from Washington?!

You make scones!

At least that’s what my dad did. I guess the idea had been in his head all morning, because as soon as I returned from my 3 mile run with Maddie, he immediately asked if I was in the mood for some fresh cherry scones. I mean, did he really have to ask twice?!

He followed the recipe in his Betty Crocker cook book and baked a fresh batch of a dozen cherry scones.

They smelled so good straight from the oven, and they tasted good, too. The scones were dry, crumbly, and perfect. Great job, Dad!

On the side I polished off the last of my stowaway blueberries from Rainier and an egg.

Derek and I had a meeting with my aunt this morning regarding flower arrangements for the wedding. I took her to our venue, and it was fun to map out some of my visions in person. I think it helps to revisit the venue every once in a while. I know I was starting to get a skewed idea of the placement and size of everything – the visit brought me back to reality

After we wrapped up on flowers, my dad set out a sandwich bar for the fam.

Anything you could possibly want on a sandwich – he had it.

I built a roast beef and turkey hoagie with avocado, green onions, spinach, tomatoes, and spicy mustard. On the side I had chips, hummus, and some potato salad.

Derek and I began our journey back to Tampa sometime after lunch. By the time we made it home I was too lazy to do any grocery shopping, so I just threw together dinner based on what ever we had in the fridge.

Let’s see… I think there’s tempeh, onion, corn, brussels sprouts, carrots, and walnuts in there. I seasoned it all with some chili powder and oregano, then plopped two tablespoons of hummus on top and gave it a whirl. Derek coated his serving with a ton of sriracha and claimed it “not bad.” It might not have looked pretty, but it certainly worked for a filling kitchen-sink meal. :)

I dug into my Whole Foods goodie sash for dessert.

IMG_7759.jpg

Lindsay from Whole Foods had informed me that these were the best cookies-from-a-box that Whole Foods had to offer. They were soft, buttery, and had the perfect amount of blueberry jam in the middle. I agree with Lindsay – the cookies are pretty top notch. I’d buy them again.

After jumping off the walls all day with her cousins, I think Maddie is finally worn out.

She loves visiting grandma and grandpa’s, but I think she loves her couch just a little bit more.

Maddie and I are on the same wave length. I’m about to go sleep in my own bed for the first time in almost a week and really looking forward to it!

Good night!

1 Cait's Plate July 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Those scones are an awesome idea! I definitely want to make these!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..15-Minute Chicken Tikka Masala

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 15, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Those scones look SO good! I freaking love scones but never have them. I used to treat myself to blueberry scones at work on occasion. I should make myself some soon as a treat. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..East Coast Revival // Beantown!

3 Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style July 15, 2012 at 11:06 pm

The scones look really good. And those blueberries look huge – I’m so jealous. After reading your blog and your trip to Washington, I’m making a special trip out to Whole Food later this week. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!
Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style recently posted..Shabby Apple Giveaway

4 Reenie July 15, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Comments on you last few posts:

I have a better appreciation of the fresh blueberries and cherries and the cost we pay for them ~ after seeing what all is involved in the process from picking thru getting them to the grocery store.

Great pic of your sister, brother, and your significant others.

Your Mom looks beautiful in the pics.

I wanna hang out with your family and eat your Dad’s cooking ~ everything always looks wonderful.

=)

5 Meghann July 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

An interesting topic that came up on the trip is why Whole Foods products tend to cost a little more. Most retailers (not all, but most) just look for fruit at the lowest price point for the customer, but Whole Foods goes in and looks for the best fruit from the best companies and pay the premium for it.

6 Sana July 16, 2012 at 12:04 am

Your dad really has a passion for cooking, it’s awesome!
Sana recently posted..Say Yes to Dessert

7 Emily @ Munchies 'n' Marvels July 16, 2012 at 12:10 am

Aww, sleepy puppies are the best!

I looove fresh scones. They’re up there on the “cheat” list with cupcakes :)
Emily @ Munchies ‘n’ Marvels recently posted..30 Days of Blogging, Day 14 – Summer Fun Times

8 Sara @my less serious life July 16, 2012 at 6:49 am

your dad always sounds like such a great chef! it is no wonder you create such delicious food!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..weekend review: stocking up

9 Lauren July 16, 2012 at 6:50 am

When life gives you cherries, you make scones! :) They look delicious.

10 Amanda July 16, 2012 at 7:04 am

Publix will always be one of the big things I miss about FL. I loved going in there for sandwich supplies on Sunday’s, and I haven’t found a sweet tea that is as good anywhere. I’ll have to look in my BC Cookbook for that scone recipe, they look yummy and I’ve never had/made them before.
Amanda recently posted..Manly dinner of win

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 16, 2012 at 7:05 am

Those scones look amazing! Your dad really is a talented cook :)

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats July 16, 2012 at 7:36 am

That’s nice (and a good idea!) that you can revisit your venue. My sister in law planned her Kansas City wedding from Chicago do she just had to trust the people who worked there. Turned out beautifully though!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Pancakes? Yes, Please.

13 Hillary July 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

The fact that your dad randomly whips up homemade scones makes me so happy. I need to start nudging my dad in that direction!
Hillary recently posted..Peanut Butter & Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

14 Avery @ Texas Teen Keeps Lean July 16, 2012 at 9:12 am

Oh gosh, honorary member of the “I Heart Scones Club”, right here. My mom, sister, and I often go have tea together, and let’s just say, scones have NOTHING on me. :)