Sunny Seattle

by Meghann on July 12, 2012

I had my first taste of running with a jogging stroller this morning.

20120711_113649.jpg

The verdict? Not as bad as I was expecting.

I’ll admit I’ve been curious about jogging strollers ever since a few of my blogging friends became moms and started blogging about their experiences with them. Some love them, some hate them, but all agree it’s a completely different workout running with one. I have no plans of popping out babies anytime soon (I have an Ironman to do first), but when Emily asked if I wanted to push the stroller during our 3 mile run around the lake, I couldn’t turn her down.

I could definitely feel the difference in my stride almost as soon as I started running with the stroller. It shortened simply in fear of trying to not kick the thing. Also, I had to keep trading off running with each arm because trying to push the stroller with two while running was just awkward. The stroller was lighter than I was expecting – I would compare the extra effort to push the stroller with running into the wind or at a slight incline. It really wasn’t so bad for the first part, but it wears you down as the run goes on.

20120711_113728.jpg

Emily and I got a nice 3 mile run in with Cullen, while enjoying the amazing weather. I think Seattle is spoiling me while I’m here – another beautiful cloudless day? I’ll take it!

After the lake we cleaned up and headed to the one “tourist-y” thing I requested we do while in Seattle: Pike Place.

I had a special friend there that I was dying to meet for lunch.

Don’t you love it with the stars align and you are randomly visiting the same place as a friend? H. resides in New Jersey, but just happened to be ending her 18-day-west-coast -road-trip honeymoon in Seattle today. What are the odds? When she saw I was coming to Seattle, she sent a text seeing if I wanted to meet up. Ummm… heck yeah!

We had lots to catch up on, such as her beautiful wedding, amazing honeymoon, and the new bun she has baking in the oven. (side note: I miss my daily HangryPants updates!) It was really good to see them, and I’m glad it happened to work out that way.

We were all starving when we first met up and immediately found a cute little delicatessen right outside Pike Place to eat at.

Nothing fancy, just a little shop that made gourmet sandwiches and had some quiet chairs for us to sit at and chat.

I ordered a beef, blue cheese, and caramelized onion sandwich on an olive loaf bread.

For something we just randomly walked into, this sandwich was pretty amazing. I loved the fresh greens, crusty bread, and blue cheese spread. Yum.

I also had a dry soda per Emily’s recommendation.

I liked it. It wasn’t as sweet as traditional soda (which I liked) and was on the drier side (similar to how you would classify wine as dry). I’d drink it again.

After lunch we said our good-bye to Heather and Mark, then took a quick lap around Pike Place.

It was a lot smaller, and narrower than I was expecting. I was picturing something open like Reading Terminal Market, but this was really just like a tight hallway.

The flowers were pretty gorgeous (and cheap!).

IMG_7057.JPG IMG_7064.JPG

And I was kicking myself later for not buying some sort of fresh fruit for the plane.

IMG_7061.JPG IMG_7062.JPG

I get to see where these babies come from tomorrow!

Bye, Bye Seattle! Next time I’ll have to visit longer.

We headed straight to the airport from the market. I said my good-byes to Emily and Cullen (*sniff*sniff), waited in the world’s slowest security line, and had a strawberry smoothie(sans banana) at the gate (it was missing some rum, tasted like a virgin daiquiri).

My flight to Yakima was short (only 20 minutes!) and tiny. It was one of those planes where they take your carry-on at the door because ain’t nothin’ fitting in those overhead compartments.

Screen shot 2012-07-12 at 12.22.50 AM.png

Welcome to Yakima!

I love that we all had to wait outside for our carry-ons. Just chillin’. No big deal.

I met up with the FABULOUS Whole Foods people (I love working with brands that have a great team to represent them!) and we all headed to dinner.

The table started with Asian Nachos, which was a yummy chicken and peanut sauce mix served over fried wontons.

Something I didn’t know about Yakima before planning this trip – it’s wine country! The restaurant only had local Washington wines on their menu, so we all thought it would be fun to order wine flights to get a taste of what’s out there. I went with “Call Me a Cab”

I thought all the cabs were pretty good.

Each meal came with a starter salad. The port vingerarette on the side is made in house and had a nice tart kick to it.

For my main meal, I ordered the salmon, which was amazing. It was served with a nice cherry compote that added a touch of sweetness to the dish.

We left dinner all stuffed to the brim and took our time getting to the hotel, while enjoying the beautiful Yakima evening light.

We’re actually staying at an adorable Bed & Breakfast in the middle of wine country. I think it fits the vibe of the area perfectly.

What a long day! A fun day, but a long one. Can’t wait to learn all about cherries tomorrow!

Good Night!

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats July 12, 2012 at 6:15 am

I always am impressed with the women here in Chicago pushing strollers and running, but I love seeing dads do it too! I always think, now that’s my kind of man! Haha

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 12, 2012 at 6:33 am

I did a 5k before in which people were allowed to run with strollers and their kids. It was pretty humbling to see so many women pushing big strollers pass me during the run! Haha! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A poke-cake addiction.

3 Beka July 12, 2012 at 6:40 am

Seattle looks beautiful!
$5.99 / lb ouchies! I think Publix and Whole Foods has them on sale this week for $1.99/lb. :) However, maybe it’s the nostalgia/experience you are paying for at Pike Place Market? Stroller running = serious bidness. It’s impressive. Last year there was a lady who finished the space coast marathon in under 4 hr pushing a triple. Amazing!
Beka recently posted..Raspberry Chipotle Seared Tuna and Gorgonzola Salad

4 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 12, 2012 at 6:56 am

Glad you got a taste of stroller running! Think of me today while I’m pushing my double running around today. :)

Yakima looks beautiful!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Smoothies For Everyone

5 Sara@RunningInPinkProject July 12, 2012 at 6:57 am

Ive always wanted to visit Seattle. :) And about the small planes- every single time I fly out of my little town I have to use one of those to get to the closest “real” airport. That is usually why I drive an hour and fly from somewhere a little bigger. Those little planes freak me out!!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Wednesday Business And A Zipfizz Giveaway

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 12, 2012 at 7:02 am

Seattle looks so nice! I want to see Pike Place Market in person one day :) Have fun today!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Last Name Changing…

7 Amanda July 12, 2012 at 7:07 am

I hate flying already so those little planes are terrible for me! Sounds like you’re having an awesome trip!
Amanda recently posted..Product Review – Baby Registry Items

8 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 12, 2012 at 7:13 am

I adore all those pretty flowers from the market! And that salmon is totally mouth-watering.
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Updates

9 Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself July 12, 2012 at 7:42 am

I love those dry sodas! They have such cool flavors.

And Seattle looks awesome! Definitely on my list of places to visit.

I hope you’re having a great time!
Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself recently posted..Mostly healthy zucchini bread

10 Katie D. July 12, 2012 at 7:47 am

HangryPants is having a baby??? Yay!! I miss her blog too :)

11 Cait's Plate July 12, 2012 at 7:55 am

Oh my gosh Heather is pregnant?!?! I had no idea! So exciting for her and Mark!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Baked Mac and Cheese

12 Emily N July 12, 2012 at 8:20 am

I am planning on borrowing my friends baby and stroller for a quickie one of these days, just to test it out!
Emily N recently posted..Another Day with Beets. Yum.

13 Lindsey July 12, 2012 at 9:15 am

I love those Dry Soda’s – my favorite is cucumber!
Lindsey recently posted..Off Day

14 Beth July 12, 2012 at 9:38 am

Oh, I’m so jealous you got to go to Pike Place. I was in Seattle for a conference a few years ago and went there. I wanted to buy everything! The produce and the fresh pasta looked fantastic.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

15 Elisabeth July 12, 2012 at 9:58 am

Congratulations to Heather! I definitely miss Hangry Pants :(

Looks like a great time in Washington! I would love to visit the Pacific Northwest…and I think I’d probably never want to leave ;)

16 Emily @ Munchies 'n' Marvels July 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

Pike Place looks soooo much fun! Seattle is definitely on my bucket list of places to visit. What a gorgeous place!
Emily @ Munchies ‘n’ Marvels recently posted..30 Days of Blogging, Day 10 – To the Races

17 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer July 12, 2012 at 10:46 am

All my recent flight have been on little “buses with wings” like that one. This seems like such a cool trip! Have fun!!
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..The Only Way I like My IPA

18 The Many Thoughts of a Reader July 12, 2012 at 10:48 am

I really want to visit Pike Place sometime. ;)
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Castle Park

19 Annette @FitnessPerks July 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I could see how running with a stroller would be WAY different ;) Way to go-trying it out and all!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..“Speed Up” Treadmill Workout + Thankful Thursday

20 tania July 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm

such a nice surprise to see heather in the blog world again!
she truly was one talented and fantastic blogger….we miss you heather!
all the best to you and Mark.

21 Samantha July 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm

OMG! HEATHER! I LOVE HANGRY PANTS!

I’m so glad you snapped a shot of both Heather and Mark. I miss them! Much love to them and congratulations!

22 Hangry Pants July 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

It was such fun catching up with you!

Also, I highly recommend delaying your honeymoon by nine months; it extends the wedding fun!

23 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners July 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm

oh, i hope we get as lucky with seattle weather in aug! very nice!

can’t wait to see what WF has planned for you!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

24 Jennifer July 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Ahhh crazy I live in Yakima, I didn’t think it was much of an attraction for bloggers but it is defintitely a produce Heaven in the summer! Hope you enjoy some beautiful runs through wine country : )

25 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I’ve never tried running with a stroller – could definitely see how it would change it up a bit!

Those Asian nachos look fantastic, never thought of doing that but it’s pretty brilliant.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The ED Story – Part 2.

26 Brittany July 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm

What a fun day! I’m totally jealous that you got to see Emily, Heather and Mark. That’s so awesome!

AND a trip with the Whole Foods team – what a blast!!! Hope today was lovely. :)
Brittany recently posted..The Local and a Honey Mustard Dressing

27 Emma July 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm

That sandwich looks deeeelish!

28 jessie July 12, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I have always wanted to visit Pike Place. I’ve heard so many great things about it through all of you bloggers!! What a cute little cafe you all stopped @ for lunch. It gives such a healthy, sunny vibe.. love it!

Glad you made it to your next destination safely. Those nachos look amazing!!!!

Continue having a wonderful trip girl :)
jessie recently posted..Blueberry Smoothie, Yes please!

29 Julie July 13, 2012 at 1:02 am

Gosh I wish we could switch lives! ;-) That dry soda looks good though, never had it. Maybe it’s an acquired taste? Glad you got to meet up with Heather!
Julie recently posted..Big Adult Decision

30 Stefanie July 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

I am loving your blog! I just began reading NROLFW and stumbled across your site. Are you from the Seattle area? I rarely come across bloggers from WA, nonetheless from my area! I loved reading your cherry entry, I have lived here my whole life and haven’t even heard of half of the varieties of cherries that you posted about. Very cool!

31 Rebecca July 13, 2012 at 11:09 am

Running with a stroller takes some time to get used to. I also have to try and run with one hand. When I am in a race situation (Max has been in 3 races already) I run and literally push the stroller. Downhills are super awesome!! Hills are the devil!

I personally love my jogging stroller (I have a Chariot) more than regular strollers. We use it all the time, even for non-running/biking things