Cafe Flora

by Meghann on July 11, 2012

Hello, from beautiful Seattle, Washington!!!

It sure is green here! The weather isn’t bad either. A sunny 75 degrees with not a drop of humidity in sight. I know it’s not like this all year long, but man is it nice right now.

The rest of my second flight was a breeze. Did you know that when your laptop dies you can use the GoGo In-flight internet pass on your iPad? True story. I ended up catching up on a few games of Words with Friends in the last half hour of the flight.

When I landed, I had a Chocolate Dipped Coconut Luna Bar as a snack.

And a few hours later (when it was dinner time on the east coast) I had a piece of toast with peanut butter and jam to hold me over until dinner time on the west coast.

Flying from east to west always throws off my eating schedule, but I’ve found throwing in an extra hearty snack usually does the trick.

For my one night stay in Seattle, I’m honored that Emily and her family have graciously offered to put me up.

Emily and I first met “officially” at Healthy Living Summit in 2010, but we have both been following each other’s blogs since 2008 and have remained e-friends through the years. She’s had an open invitation to come visit her since she moved to Seattle, and I was excited to finally have the opportunity to take her up on it.

I was also excited to spend some extra time getting to know this little guy.

Cullen is just as sweet and adorable in person as he is on Emily’s blog. He’s full of nothing, but smiles and big personality. He’s going to be a heartbreaker one day.

Emily and I spent the afternoon walking Cullen around the park and playing catch up.

Before I left Florida, Emily had asked what I really wanted to do in Seattle and I told her I had no idea. All I knew was that I wanted to hang out and I wanted to eat good food. Well we took care of hanging out at the park and indulged in some very, very good food at Cafe Flora for dinner.

Right when I walked in, I knew I was going to like this place. It smelled amazing and everything we passed on the way to our table looked delicious.

Cafe Flora is a vegetarian restaurant that believes in supporting the local Washington farms and dairies. Everything is fresh, seasonal, and local.

We started with crusty sourdough bread.

And shared two appetizers among the table.

Coconut Tofu with Chili Sauce

I’m now inspired to make my own coconut tofu at home. I think the secret is deep frying it – the tofu inside was very firm and chewy, while the outside was crisp and crunchy.

Yam Fries

They had a bit of a spice, which balanced out the sweetness perfectly.

For my main dish, I decided to order one of the seasonal specials, Yakima Valley Polenta.

I’m actually flying to Yakima tomorrow evening, so this dish was perfect for the occasion.

Everything about this was delicious. From the reduced cherries, to the caramelized onions, to the grainy, rich polenta – wow. I would order it again, and again, and again. ;)

Emily said she was already thinking about dessert on our way to the restaurant (a girl after my own heart), apparently this was place was famous for it! When dessert time rolled around we decided to share two.

The coconut cake with a mango puree.

Coconut and mango is a winning combination.

And a chocolate Theo brownie dish.

This was on the rich end, but still enjoyable. You only needed a couple of bites to satisfy your chocolate craving, then your golden.

It was an incredible evening of good evening, shared with a good friend I don’t get to see nearly enough. Thanks, for taking me out, Emily!

P.S. can you believe it was 9:30 when that photo was taken? It stays light out here late.

Who’s been up for 22 hours? This girl. Who’s ready for bed? This girl.

Good night!

1 jessie July 11, 2012 at 3:55 am

Absolutely love that you two met through blogging in 2008, and have remained such good friends over the years. It looks like you two, i’m sorry three, had such a wonderful day of good weather, laughter & food! Safe travels to Yakima tomorrow girl :)

2 Coco July 11, 2012 at 6:01 am

Wow, it looks beautiful! I love Emily’s blog- She seems like such a sweetheart! So glad you had such a wonderful time :)

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 11, 2012 at 6:41 am

Love the food pics! Those desserts look ah-mazing!

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 11, 2012 at 7:08 am

So fun that you were able to hang out with Emily! :) The food looks fantastic especially the desserts!

5 Meet Me At The Finishline July 11, 2012 at 7:16 am

That is so awesome! Hoping to make blog friends myself :) I love a good vegetarian place. Nothing tastes as good as good vegan food! I would love to live in Seattle it looks GORGEOUS up there not to mention some incredible mountain trails!

6 Janae July 11, 2012 at 7:18 am

Have safe travels tomorrow to my little hometown of Yakima.

7 Kathy July 11, 2012 at 7:39 am

How cute is that? And you two….you almost look like you could be sisters!

8 Mandi @ Miles and Mascara July 11, 2012 at 8:51 am

I love it when a friendship grows out of blogging… So sweet! And those goodies, I’ve not had breakfast yet, and now I’m starving! They look so yummy!

9 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

I adore Seattle at this time of year! I haven’t been to Cafe Flora, but that food looks fantastic!

10 Ellen July 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

That’s awesome the two of you met through blogging. One of my best friends I met through Twitter 2 years ago & we’ve technically only spent 3 days together. Who says you have physically be with the person to have a wonderful friendship? The Yakima Valley is gorgeous. If you have time, check a winery/vineyard. They are everywhere in that area! One of my favs is the Terra Blanca Winery & Vineyard.

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats July 11, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’m glad you made it to Seattle safely! And I’m very jealous you get to hang out with Cullen, he is the cutesy baby!!!

12 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 11, 2012 at 10:06 am

It was 2008 when we met, too! Crazy, huh? Looks like a fun trip! You also always have a place in Jacksonville =]

13 Stephanie July 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

Time out. Why are you going to Yakima?! I’m from Selah (right next to Yakima) and it’s not a place you visit on a whim from FL! Wait til you see the teeny tiny “airport.”

14 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

Seattle looks so amazing! Cafe Flora looks right up my alley–all of your eats look wonderful!

15 Amanda July 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh man No Humidity! Winning! I was surprised how sunny it still was at almost 9pm when I went to Michigan a couple weeks ago so I can imagine how weird it would be being all the way over on the other coast.

16 Emily N July 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

Yum. That food looks delish! Have fun in Seattle!

17 Cait's Plate July 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh my goodness Cullen is just adorable!! Glad you are enjoying your time there so far! I’ve only been to Seattle once but I’m dying to go back!

18 Cait @ Beyond Bananas July 11, 2012 at 11:47 am

I cannot believe how light it is! Funny how things are different depending on where you are in your time zone!

Also.. LOVE those Luna bars!

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Cullen is definitely a cutie!

I’ve never actually tried polenta bef0re – it looks delicious!

20 Annette @FitnessPerks July 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm

How fun to meet a blogger in person!!

And those eats look KILLER awesome. I want those YAM fries. NOW! :)

21 Jillian @ DNA and Dessert July 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Oh my goodness. Those desserts look heavenly!!

22 Rachel July 11, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I actually live really close to Yakima! Not too much to do there..but there are tons of wineries around that are great! Have fun!

23 Laura @ sweatingforit July 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm

wow, all of the food looks amazing! Enjoy your trip.

24 Andrea July 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Yes! The Pacific Northwest is AMAZING in the Summer! Why a HLS hasn’t been in Portland or Seattle yet is beyond me ;) Glad you’re enjoying what this region has to offer and I must say I’m so jealous you’re going cherry picking!

25 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners July 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

That looks so yummy! Def want to try that place, esp the dessert :)

26 Dayna July 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Oh my gosh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Cafe Flora!! I live in Tacoma, which is about 40 minutes south of Seattle and my bf and I go up there all the time to hang out and see the sights. He took me to Cafe Flora for my birthday dinner and I fell in love. It’s easily one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Seattle. I’m glad that the weather is so nice for your visit, because it’s not usually like this. All of us Washingtonians are soaking it up for sure! Enjoy your stay, Meghann! :)

27 Sara@RunningInPinkProject July 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm

That meal looks amazing. (and so does that cake) YUM!

28 Emma July 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Seattle is so gorgeous! I had a layover there a few weeks ago and I wish I had had enough time to check it out.

29 Emily July 13, 2012 at 9:01 am

This is so funny!! I totally know one of the guys in the background of your picture! He was in my graduate program!!! I’m SO embarrassed to say that in my three years living in Seattle I never went to Cafe Flora! I’m glad you enjoyed it!!