Travel Musings

by Meghann on July 10, 2012

Inflight internet may just be the best thing ever invented. When I tell people my job is great because I can work from anywhere, I’m not kidding.

Sitting in my living room in my underwear? All the time.

Down the street at Starbucks? Let’s just say there’s a reason I earn a free Starbucks drink on a monthly basis.

From 35,000 feet in the air? Yep, that too.

Screen shot 2012-07-10 at 1.06.41 PM.png

Seattle is a long way from good ole Florida. My first flight took me from Orlando to Minneapolis (2 hours and 48 minutes) and my second is bringing me from Minneapolis to Seattle ( 3 hours and 3 minutes). That’s roughly 6 hours of traveling, or almost a full work day.

Luckily GoGo offers an all day 24 hour pass, so instead of being charged $9.99 for internet per flight, I was able to purchase both flights for a flat $14.95 fee. All I had to do was pull the browser back up during my second flight and log right back in from there. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

My first flight was quiet and quick. I got a decent amount of work done and had an apple (and a packet of Biscoff cookies) right before we landed.

Layover priorities:

1. Find decent lunch to carry-on for second flight (The Minneapolis airport was very impressive in the food department. I was blown away by the great fresh food options available.Minneapolis for the win! )

2. Get coffee

3. Charge electronics

I was totally spoiled by the roomie-ness of my first flight (I had a whole row to myself), but knew I wasn’t going to be as lucky with the second.

When I checked in, they gave me the option of taking a later flight in exchange for a free travel voucher (the flight was overbooked and they were looking to bump people off) . If I wasn’t on such a tight schedule, I totally would have gone for it – flying ain’t cheap!

You know the worst part about flying? Taking off and landing. Not because I’m scared about going up or coming back down, but because every piece of “entertainment” I travel with is in electronic form. Ipad, laptop, phone, etc – electronic.

I’d say that’s the biggest downfall of e-readers in general. They’re great, until you have to turn them off to take off or land. I believe that’s where traditional books really take out the competition. No need to disrupt your reading for take-off with a printed book – just keep on doin’ what you do.

Luckily that’s where this baby comes into play.

I think they know passengers are going to be restless when they can’t have play with their toys and a free magazine to thumb through is exactly what they need. If I were on their ad team, I would totally use that as a sales point.

The inflight magazines are usually pretty good, too. In this issue, I enjoyed the article on the Elliotts (had no idea Abby was only 21 when she joined the cast of SNL or that Chris Elliott was her dad) and the breakdown of NYC’s past and present trends.

Once the flight was in air, I broke out lunch.

I spotted this greek salad at a Mediterranean deli when I de-boarded my last flight. It was a little bulky and annoying to lug around between flights, but totally worth it. The salad was full of fresh veggie toppings and exactly what I was craving.

Yum.

I have another hour and a half until I land in good ole Seattle.

Fun fact: I’ve never been to Seattle before! This is my first time!

Originally I was supposed to leave tomorrow and head straight to northern Washington, but when I saw that I had a brief layover in Seattle, I couldn’t resist extending the layover a day and popping in to see a good friend and exploring a new city I’ve never been to before. Can’t wait!

Any recommendations on what to see and do in Seattle for a newbie?!

1 Abby July 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hi from Minneapolis! I’ve never noticed the “good food” options at our airport before… I’ll have to explore that next time I’m there. Safe travels!

2 Katie July 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I’m from Minnesota and currently living in Duluth. The Minneapolis airport is the best when it comes to food! I haven’t actually made a purchase from Surdyk’s but I always drool over it. I’m way to obsessed with the French Meadow’s salads and sandwiches. Too bad you didn’t have a longer layover to check it all out!
Katie recently posted..I made it, I ate it: Portobello Pizza

3 Katherine July 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm

If you have a chance, go to Norm’s! It’s a dog-friendly bar in the Fremont neighborhood. Good burgers, happy-hour, and beer!

(and by dog-friendly I mean there’s a dog at nearly every table)
Katherine recently posted..Spaghetti Carbonara

4 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife July 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I loved Seattle! Everyone is super friendly. For the 24 hours that I spent there while visiting UW, I went down to Pike’s Market, saw the first Starbucks (just up the road from the market), and went to the top of the Space Needle. Very fun!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..An Announcement!

5 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners July 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Ohh, my hubby and I are going to Seattle next month, so I am excited to see what you are up to and what others recommend! Awesome, have fun!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Running in Sao Paulo, Brazil

6 Lindsey July 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I loved Seattle. We were there 2 summers ago, my favorite was the market for sure, and all the cafes/restaurants. We went to one restaurant called the Pink Door, it was Italian and really good. All the bakeries at the market are awesome, I think I tried new one each day!
Lindsey recently posted..No Complaints

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’ve never been to Seattle, but I’ve always wanted to visit! Can’t wait to see pics! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bringing Chipotle into my home kitchen.

8 Mindy July 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Seattle girl here! As a first time visitor, I would recommend checking out Pike Place Market, the first Starbucks just up the street & take a walk down to the waterfront “behind” the market. They also just put in a giant ferris wheel down by the water that may be worth checking out, especially with the gorgeous weather we have right now. Really, just try to walk/wander around a bit & you’ll get the general vibe of our city.

I hope you enjoy Seattle and the great Pacific Northwest!

9 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions July 10, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Seattle is one of my favorite cities in the country, no question about it. My grandparents live there, so growing up I went out to Seattle every other year or so — my first trip out there (and first time on an airplane) was when I was three months old!

Pike Place Market is bomb. There’s so much to browse, especially during the summer. There’s also a crumpet place right near by, if you want to try a crumpet! They were fantastic. It’s right across the street from a strip club…you can’t miss it. Bahahahahaha.

I know you’re obviously really into healthy eating, but I cannot possibly recommend Ivers Clam Chowder highly enough. I’m convinced it’s the best clam chowder in the entire world. It’s life changing. The Ivers down by the water is the one you have to go do. It’s not the same experience without the seagulls!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Frustrated, or, “Using My Words”

10 Caitlin July 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I live in Seattle! And I’m from FL. And I went to FSU. (Ack, too much?)
Anywho, they just built a ferris wheel on the Pier (the waterfront/Pike Place is one of my favorite, if not ridiculously touristy spots in Seattle) and if it’s actually a nice day out, from the top you should be able to see Rainier, out into the sound and the Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, etc.)
The ferry ride over to Bainbridge Island is beautiful, and there’s this awesome restaurant about a mile walk from the ferry dock called The Harbour Public House that has wine on tap and really great locally sourced, organic food. And you can sit outside and stare at the water.
Places to eat: Purple Cafe, Sip, Contour (for Happy Hour,) Umi, Pink Door, Local 360.
If you feel like a little drive, go over to Snoqualmie and see the falls. Also, go see the Fremont Troll. He’s fun.
Ok, I’m done.
Caitlin recently posted..i know, i know

11 Vanessa July 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Definitely go to Pike Place Market! I just moved to Seattle last fall so I’m still playing the tourist a lot of the time. Going up the Space Needle is fun too – such a great view, and you’ve got to eat some fresh salmon!

12 Sheena July 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

That’s awesome! What do you do that allows you to work from home/wherever? I need to start looking into that! :)
Sheena recently posted..Happy birthday America!

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’ve never been to Seattle either, but I’ve always wanted to visit! Have fun!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Molly Says Hi!

14 Annette @FitnessPerks July 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm

In-flight Internet–GENIUS!!

15 Cait's Plate July 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

That salad looks INCREDIBLE!! Especially those pita triangles! Glad you made it safely!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Too Long

16 Hyedi July 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Yup — I love the MSP airport and it seems to be getting better and better! French Meadow Bakery may be my favorite :) Safe travels!
Hyedi recently posted..Workout recap

17 Amanda July 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Ah so fun! I have good friends in Seattle that we will one day make it out there to see. Although, it is on my list of possible places to live after the Navy. I dream of cooler weather daily. And you are lucky you don’t get sick on planes, I would not be able to enjoy that internet or your really yummy looking salad :(
Amanda recently posted..A little bit about Asuka

18 Jill July 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

We leave in 2 weeks for vacation in Seattle and can’t wait! Looking forward to your report.

19 Laura @ sweatingforit July 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I love Biscoff cookies!
Laura @ sweatingforit recently posted..Snow White and the 13.1 mile race

20 Kelsey July 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I was in Seattle last summer and fell in love! I also recommend the Pike’s Place market as others have. The first Starbucks is fun to see, but skip getting a bev there, they are SO busy all the time and I feel it shows in that the drink I got there was the worst of any Starbucks I’ve ever been to, sad, I know! If you’re in the mood, get some Beecher’s mac&cheese and if you’re in the mood for coffee, hit up Seattle’s Best. It’s my favorite other than Starbucks!

The Crab Pot also has AWESOME food! I think they were on Man vs. Food and it is so worth the trip, their seafood is incredible!

21 Alexis July 10, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Beecher’s Handmade Cheese @ Pike Place is the BEST! I second that! So much amazing hiking (with waterfalls) in Seattle too!

22 Courtney July 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

BAHAHA, this is the beauty of blogging! I am comment from within the confines of my living room in JUST the comfort of my underwear!
Courtney recently posted..Power Protein Waffles

23 Ally July 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm

job? i though you were unemployed!

24 Heather July 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm

From a Seattle Girl: if you’re interested in getting away from the more touristy things for a bit, I highly recommend checking out Greenlake (great running loop, but also just really pretty) and Gas Works park. Golden Gardens park is also always highly recommended (I have yet to go…it’s on my summer to-do list). King Tut exhibit is at the Pacific Science Center, and it’s the last stop before it leaves North America. There are so many great farmers markets you can easily find, and I highly recommend checking out Queen Anne for Seattle view points, Capitol Hill for night life, and Ballard for food!
Heather recently posted..Caramel Apple Cup Pies

25 Ellen July 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I absolutely love flying through or out of Minneapolis whenever I have to travel by air! I, like Katie above, live in northern MN in Duluth, so traveling Mpls is the norm. Besides the food options, I think the airport is fairly easy to navigate. Have fun in Seattle!
Ellen recently posted..Voyageurs Preview

26 Priscilla P July 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I have to agree with pikes!

27 Lena July 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Seattle girl here! The weather couldn’t be more perfect for your visit here! There are tons of things to see here, though I would suggest checking out our food trucks! Some FANTASTIC gourmet food can be found on these gems!

ALSO, if you are wanting to take any fitness classes out here (like you’ve written about while visiting other cities) there is a great pilates place in Fremont (briaseattle.com), paddleboard yoga (wasurfacademy.com), or if you fancy a run, Brooks is hosting a training run for the Torchlight Run at Greenlake on Thursday at 6:30pm (open to everyone and free!).
Hope you are enjoying your time here!
Lena recently posted..Momentum Monday: Fresh Start

28 Amber July 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

OK, I have to chime in on this one. I’ve been in Seattle ~6years and this is the right time of year for your visit! I highly recommend Top Pot donuts, Paseo sandwiches http://www.yelp.com/biz/paseo-seattle-2 which happens to be located by Ballard Locks (which are amazing), take a run across 1-90 floating bridge into Mercer Island, and…well much more.

So many things but it sounds like you don’t have a ton of time. Have fun!

29 Elisabeth July 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm

So great you’ll get to see Emily & Cullen ;)

30 BroccoliHut July 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm

inflight internet is so cool! I can definitely see myself using that for my next long flight…which will probably be for our honeymoon :)
Have fun in Seattle! Can’t wait to read about your travels.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Lactose-Free Overnight Oats

31 Claire July 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm

You work?

32 ash bear July 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I LOVE Seattle! Take a look at my posts from the past trip to see some highlights! :)
ash bear recently posted..NYCM 2012 Marathon Training Week #2

33 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full July 10, 2012 at 9:58 pm

The first time I flew with my Kindle I was totally unprepared for the electronics thing. I didn’t even think of it as an electronic! Now I take it as an opportunity to look at Sky Mall without feeling guilty!
Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full recently posted..Summer Road Trip-St. Louis Zoo

34 michelle July 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I was also planning to mention a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island – such a cheap way to get out on the water and see the city from a different perspective. Harbor Public House is great – and Mora’s Iced Creamery is so good.

Wander Pike Place Market, jog along the waterfront, and have some good coffee! My guests always love visiting Tom Douglas’ restaurants – the Palace Kitchen, Serious Pie, and Etta’s always getting top marks. Beecher’s cheese (across from the Market) is great – the mac and cheese is to die for, but on second thought – pretend I didn’t mention it… it’s definitely not healthy ;)

Thanks for linking your friend’s blog. Looks like she is having a great time getting acquainted with Seattle. And maybe I’m drawn to their story b/c my husband is from Indiana and a new-ish Seattle area transplant!

35 Lena @Fit on the Rocks July 10, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Have fun in Seattle! I just stopped there for 3 days in May before heading down to Portland for a race. Aside from Pike’s Place (be sure to check out the narsty gum wall there), you can check out the Fremont Bridge troll….totally random, but very quirky. There are just so many good places to eat and stroll around there, too. The views of the skyline from Gaslamp Park are great, too.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Quinoa Fried “Rice”

36 Alex July 11, 2012 at 1:40 am

I second Heather– it’s EXCELLENT weather in Seattle this week for a visit to Golden Gardens. Also, walking (or eating your way) through Ballard is something I always enjoy.

Funny to see the Elliots on the inflight mag. They’re my parent’s neighbors!

37 Kelly July 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm

If you’re going to Pike Place Market, you have to visit The Confectional! Great cheesecake bites in amazing flavors.

Here’s a quick run down of the places we ate near Pike Place Market: http://www.kellytheculinarian.com/2011/07/scenes-from-seattle.html

I’d recommend the underground tour, too, that leaves from Pioneer Square. Super funny and informative.

38 Ashley July 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Odd they make you turn off even e-reader’s! On my last flight I took in April, I didn’t have to. And that salad looks amazing!

39 Stephanie July 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I am suprised that Seattle doesn’t have a 50 Shades of Grey tour yet. Someone should get on that stat!

40 Sarah @ Sarah Lynn Smile July 12, 2012 at 1:47 am

I earn my Gold Card drinks way faster than is normal. You’re not alone. ;)

41 Sarah July 12, 2012 at 7:41 am

I must be flying with the wrong airlines, I have never had an inflight wifi option :(