Mr. Green

by Meghann on July 6, 2012

*Mental note* In the future, do not commit to due dates that happen on the Friday of a holiday week. Got it. <- learned my lesson on that one today!

Lunch was green-themed today.

A delicious salad with spinach, tofu, avocado, leftover roasted eggplant, and a mango dressing.

With rye Triscuits.

And a side of edamame.

Some links:

323289_10150959186686647_455209553_o.jpeg

It’s their pledge to never alter models’ faces or body shape again. Let’s hope this is a trend that catches on. ;)

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I hope that trend catches on as well! And I’ll have to read the NYT article, I am gluten and soy intolerant and am always afraid of going to other people’s houses for meals because I don’t want to inconvenience them, while at the same time I want to eat something! Haha I always have a granola bar on me…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..American Wife

2 Rachel July 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm
3 rae July 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I was just thinking that…had some deja vu!

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life July 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

MmmM! Green goodness :D
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Hawaii Recap, Pt I: Celebrating Ohana in the Land of Aloha!

5 Annette @FitnessPerks July 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I hope that it catches on too!!

LOVE a good salad for lunch!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Numbers

6 Cait's Plate July 6, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Love that Seventeen is doing that!

And ugh, Triscuits! I love those things and haven’t had those in such a long time!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Nieces

7 Erin Motz July 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Love seeing big, green salads in the summer! It’s such a lazy time in FL since it’s too hot for pretty much everything else, including heavy duty cooking… so I can appreciate a few chops, dices, and combining everything in a bowl. Love this gorgeous salad! :)
Erin Motz recently posted..Best Burger

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 6, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I heard about the Seventeen body peace treaty – I hope they follow their word and use “real” and healthy girls to set the right example.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday / Vacation Edition

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 6, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Between Seventeen’s peace treaty and Vogue’s promise not to use models that appear to have an eating disorder- I’m liking the direction these magazines are going. I’m hoping more jump on the not-promoting-unrealistic-standards bandwagon.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Hitting the Bend

10 Brianna July 7, 2012 at 12:12 am

Regarding the NY Times article — See – the thing with all these fad diets (because let’s be honest – for the most part that is exactly what they are) is that it impacts people who have real food issues (e.g. my nut allergy). With all the people asking for specifics I feel like it really bogs people down and makes something that could truly be life-threatening to me and others with severe allergies seem less important. I agree with being conscious about what you eat — but unless you have an allergy that is YOUR choice and does not impact someone healthwise like it does someone who could die just by touching something they physically can not tolerate.

Sorry – my first time commenting – I love your blog but it’s something that really gets under my skin with all the new food trends. I am the first to agree we have a real food issue in our country but I think more needs to be done with LABELING and that is the real issue. :)

11 Brianna July 7, 2012 at 12:20 am

edit: unless you have a food allergy, your diet is YOUR choice and does not impact you healthwise like it does someone who could die just by touching something they physically can not tolerate.

typing too fast does that to ya!

12 Stephanie July 7, 2012 at 12:40 am

As someone who was diagnosed with Celiac Disease over
5 years ago, I cringe anytime I hear gluten free referred to as a “fad diet.” For me, gluten free is not a choice, but rather the only treatment available for the disease I suffered from for over 20 years. At the same time, I also don’t expect those around me to cater to my needs, my health is my responsibility. I do appreciate the increased awareness of Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance generally, as it has increased access to gluten free products, but the treatment of gluten free as a “fad diet” also puts me, and others similarly situated, in danger as restaurants who claim to offer gluten free options don’t take the necessary precautions to ensure the meal is safe to eat.

13 Brianna July 7, 2012 at 1:05 am

And that is exactly my point. I have so many friends that have jumped on the bandwagon within the last year and claim to be “Gluten Intolerant” so henceforth they are now “Gluten Free” and I want to scream at them! I bet half of them don’t even know what Celiac Disease is! I’m sure you also get the response ALL the time that I get when I ask what is in a meal along the lines of “Well…it may be processed with….”

I feel your pain. :/ Food Allergy people have to stick together!

14 Sara @my less serious life July 7, 2012 at 7:29 am

i totally hear you about that deadline on a holiday week thing! i had a big deadline thursday of this week – which meant i couldn’t enjoy the 4th! good thing i’m heading to the beach tomorrow to make up for that! :)
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..my less serious momma: easy eggplant parmesan