more ยป" />

Endurance Swim Set

by Meghann on July 6, 2012

Happy Frrriiidddaaayyy!

You know what Fridays mean, right? Swim practice!

It was a fairly quiet morning at the pool today. The local youth swim team that usually practices the same time we do (and has a few dozen members!) was absent. The pool felt empty without them, which was actually pretty nice. We weren’t all crammed in two lanes and had enough room to stretch and move. I was a fan.

Felipe (our coach) placed Mary and I in the same lane and gave us an endurance workout to “keep us busy.”

endurance swim.png

The workout was pretty straight forward and easy to remember. No hidden twists, and no major breaks – just a straight swim that wore us both out. Apparently endurance is not our strong suit. We’ll need to work on that. Maybe some longer sets in the future? More 300s and less 50s (which sucks, because I love 50s!).

Practice ended promptly at 7:30 and I headed straight home for food.

Yes, more leftover Cherry Crumble. I have a ton and Derek isn’t a fan, so I’m going to have creative with this. Yesterday I had a serving over yogurt, today I had some over oatmeal.

The cherries were great over the oatmeal. They sort of melted into the oats and the cherry flavor was evident in every delicious bite. I also added a spoonful of almond butter to give the bowl some lasting power. The almond butter didn’t compete with the cherries (as I was afraid peanut butter would), instead it complemented it and let the cherries do their thing. Yum.

Time to get to work.

What did you think about the mid-week holiday? Did it completely mess your week up or do you think we should make the mid-week day off a permanent thing?

1 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane July 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

The midweek thing was strange and kind of threw me off. Swimming is a tough workout but is one of the best because its full body. You’re doing great so far!!

2 Kaitlyn @ Chocolate Running Shoes July 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

That’s a good swim workout to remember (for me!)….I need to build my swimming endurance…I struggle so much with the darn flip turn! Water up my nose almost every time.

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run July 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

I wish I would have known Derek didn’t like the crumble – I would have put in a request for a small side at practice this morning for me to take for breakfast. I loved it!

4 Courtney July 6, 2012 at 10:29 am

YUM! Crumble. That sounds fantastic. :)

5 Kimberly @ Redefining Kim July 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

The mid-week holiday was a nice break for me. Our company implemented a new computer system last week, so having a day off in the middle of the week gave us all a much needed mental break.

6 Candice July 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

More cherry crumble for you! :)
Good swim workout.. I’m not about endurance either.. I feel like swimming endurance takes longer to achieve then running. yes?

7 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) July 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

Having a holiday mid-week actually worked out pretty well for me. Nice way to relax and tackle the rest of the week strong. :)

8 Katie @ Year of Katie July 6, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’m so impressed by your ability to get up, workout, eat breakfast, and then head to work. It seems like you have boundless energy, especially since you have a beautiful social life to go along with it!

Do you have any tips on how to become an early riser? Have you always been an early riser? I don’t like using the limited time I have after work to work out, but I would rather do that than wake up before 7am any day.

9 Meghann July 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

Trust me, I was not always an early riser! When I first started running in 2008 I would run after work, but some evening events came up that forced me to run in the morning a couple of days in a row. That’s when I realized that waking up at 5:30 wasn’t as bad as I thought and I actually had more energy in my runs than in the evening, plus my evenings were now free to do stuff that I wanted instead of hurrying home to run/ workout. It really only took a couple of times of setting my alarm early to get used to the new schedule.

10 Annette @FitnessPerks July 6, 2012 at 10:58 am

I actually love swimming for longer distances. I am def an endurance gal, which is good, seeing as the Half IM is in like 7 weeks!

Yay for husbands/bfs not liking our desserts. HAH :)

11 Courtney July 6, 2012 at 11:16 am

I like the mid-week holiday… it made my work week feel a lot faster!

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

the holiday totally messed with me! I’ve barely done any work these two days because I feel like it should be the weekend! Haha good thing very few people are in my office to notice! And on your workout, does 100 Kick mean 100 meters using a kick board?

13 Meghann July 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Yes, except we only had one kickboard, so Mary and I traded off. I did the first 100 while kicking on my back and she did her first 100 with the kickboard. The next set, we switched.

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm

For endurance swimming, I like to swim 400′s with the last length (25 m for me) as breast stroke. It’s easier to breathe while swimming breast stroke and then I don’t have to take as many breaks. It also breaks up freestyle nicely and stretches out my arms so they don’t feel as tired.

I liked having the day off on Wednesday but now I’m all screwed up! Is it Tuesday or Friday??

15 Cait's Plate July 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I didn’t mind the mid-week holiday actually. It was nice to be able to take just two days off and end up with a 5-day holiday!

16 Jamie July 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I hated it. I work at a newspaper as an editor and all it did was make me further behind on deadlines. Now, I will have to stay late on a Friday. So boo on mid-week holidays.

17 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride July 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Yum, cherry crumble sounds delicious right now!

I have been so thrown off by the mid week holiday. I keep thinking it’s Tuesday now instead of Friday. But I’m not complaining!

18 Lauren July 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I wish I could do your swimming endurance workout! I’m a worse swimmer than I am runner (!). Yesterday I tried some moves in the pool, and I was exhausted after 10 minutes (this wasn’t even with real laps). Have to work on my breathing so that I don’t keep drowning myself.
That cherry crumble looks so good!

19 erica July 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

mid-week definitely threw me off, i kept thinking yesterday was monday. but it’s nice to realize today is friday! =) but i’d rather have a 3 day weekend ;p

20 Beka @ Rebecca Roams July 6, 2012 at 7:23 pm

If you need assistance finishing that cherry crumble, I volunteer!
Seeing all these swimming posts makes me wish I could swim (I can doggie paddle/flail around?)!

21 luv what you do July 7, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m so jealous of your swim practice. I got in a swim by myself on Friday morning, which is pretty boring. And I just swim laps without a real plan. Still wrestling with my goggles which sucks but hoping to buy new ones today!

Happy Weekend!

22 Heather July 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

yay swimming! i think i know what my next pool workout will be – looks like a good one! :-)