more ยป" />

Wedding: 6 months to go!

by Meghann on July 5, 2012

Well, lookie here, we are officially half way through the planning process!!

With 6 months to go, we have…

Stuff currently “in the works”

• DJ <— spoke to one, but was out of our price range. Progress?
  • Videographer <– Got a lead on an up-and-comer. Fingers are crossed for this one!
  • Bridesmaid dresses/ cowgirl boots <— Still waiting for the sample dress I ordered. Hoping to give an update when it arrives.
  • Tuxes (suits?) for groom/ groomsmen <– on our wedding to-do list this week
  • Wedding bands <– going shopping this afternoon to look at options!
  • Location for rehearsal dinner <— Derek’s parents have some leads on places. Need to follow up.
  • To book the honeymoon <— decided to wait circle back on this 6 months out. Started looking again last week. Thinking Dominican Republic now, but Mediterranean Cruise isn’t as crazy as we thought it would be. ;)
  • Garter <– need to order the FSU one I’ve been coveting on Etsy.

And here’s what we still need (thinking long term here):

• Songs for: ceremony, introductions, father/daughter dance
  • something borrowed
  • Chair rentals (for ceremony)
  • Bridesmaid gifts
  • Flower girl dress
  • Something for the flower girl to carry
  • Groomsmen gifts
  • Gifts for parents
  • Ceremony script
  • Day-of timelines
  • Center pieces
  • Decorations
  • Programs? (I’m liking the chalkboard idea for this one)
  • Creative seating chart (my sister’s family dog chart was too amazing for words)
  • Guestbook
  • Dessert bar (double as favors)
  • Alcohol (caterer is supplying the bartender)
  • Navy shoes
  • Marriage license (this is a month out task)
  • Find someone to do alterations on bridal gown
  • Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
  • …and ????? I’m sure I’m leaving a few things off here

For a minute there I was experiencing a bit of “down time” in terms of wedding planning. I had the majority of the big stuff out of the way and I didn’t feel any rush to move forward with any of the smaller tasks. Then I attended my sister’s wedding and that all went to hell. Seeing her rush around that last week – and watching everything come together – made me realize how much work I still have ahead of me.

I left Kelly’s wedding on a bit of a wedding high, with a recommitment to get my butt back in gear. I kindly reached out to my aunt for flower help (so excited about that!) and she got the conversation rolling on what I envision for ceremony set-up, center pieces, and other various decoration pieces, all things I thought I was thinking about, but I quickly realized I honestly had no idea what I wanted. I’m still not certain with what I want, but now I really am thinking – and emailing back and forth – on what’s out there.

On top of talking to my aunt, I was also able to reach out to a hair person, a make-up person, and a DJ that was highly recommended by a friend. (We loved the DJ, but he’s a little – or $400 – outside of our budget. :() Derek has the rest of the week off (thanks to his company’s awesome holiday policy), so we also have plans to check out wedding bands for the first time, as well as look at tux and suit options for the guys.

The first 6 months of planning flew by (seriously, where did they go?!), and I know the next 6 are going to do the same thing. Here’s hoping they slow down just enough so that we can squeeze in everything that needs to be done. Fingers crossed on that one!

Any planning advice for a bride that’s 6 months out?!

1 Rachel July 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thought of another option for your rehearsal dinner that’s in town: Crackerjacks.

2 Meghann July 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm

that’s actually my top choice at the moment. Mom and Dad almost went that route for Ben’s wedding, but went with the place in Cape Canaveral instead. We’ll see. :)

3 Ashley Walker July 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I must say a huge THANK YOU for doing these posts. I love how you list everything you need to buy/get done. I’m getting married in a little less then 3 months, and I found all of the To-Do lists found online list the basics but easily forget some of the basics like Gifts for Parents, which I’m sure we wouldn’t forget, but it’s nice to not be running out the week before to try and find something acceptable.
I found it really helpful to cross-check my list against yours.

4 Tania July 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Oh my goodness, my brain exploded looking at that list – how are you doing this? And I thought we were crazy with the 4-month-wedding-planning-crash-course lol!

5 Angela July 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Might want to wait a month or two if you go for the Mediterranean Cruise. We’ve had some pretty crappy and cold winters the last few years in Europe. You’d freeze!

6 lynne @ lgsmash July 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm

good luck! i’m 2 months out from my wedding and while we have all of the ‘big’ stuff out of the way, we still have a lot of details to iron out. including flowers…and my fiance’s suit… :) lots of details. good for you for getting a move on it early!

7 Gavi July 5, 2012 at 3:27 pm

We’re two weeks out from our wedding (!) and have been following the Real Simple wedding planning timeline since we started planning 14 months ago (http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/weddings/planning/wedding-planning-checklist-00000000000222/index.html). I highly recommend it to all couples getting married. It has helped us organize and prioritize–and still be able to focus on the rest of our life! When we first got engaged, we made it a priority (and part of our overall vision) to enjoy this amazing time in our life and not get bogged down in wedding-related tasks. This timeline has really helped us achieve our goal and ultimately have a stress-free, loving, happy wedding planning process. I wish you the same!

8 Kate July 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Relax! It will go quickly, yes, but you know what you need to get done and everything’ll get checked off your list. (And if it doesn’t? No one needs to know.)

I’m sure your contact at your reception site has recommendations for chair rentals, and once you have an officiant nailed down, he/she will likely have some previous ceremonies that you can start to work from. Save yourself the trouble and use their expertise, it’s part of what you’re paying professionals for!

One piece of (unsolicited) advice: if you use any kind of untraditional guest book, make sure you have someone explaining what it is — a sign is not enough!

Alcohol-wise, I still can’t recommend Tom Pence highly enough. He’s the best and will help you find wines that really work with your menu in your price range. Total Wine and or BJ’s are great for everything else. (And oh, that is a fun shopping trip. Everyone in Total Wine thought I was an incredible lush, with my two carts full of liquor & special ordered beer.)

9 Sarah July 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I agree with Kate, relax and enjoy it. I just got married and I fell like brides today spend a lot of time thinking about the little things. Enjoy perusing the internet and finding what you like, but stop if it becomes overwhelming.

On another note, my fiance did everything early, which helped a lot. It was so nice to not have much to do the week of our wedding.

10 Stacy Austin July 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Meghann,

I am getting married exactly 6 months after you! (July 5, 2013). We’ve already done so much planning too…I think the more you can do early, the better.

Stacy

11 BroccoliHut July 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

You’re a wedding planning machine! You’re certainly on schedule, if not ahead!
We’re just under four months away from our wedding (11/3/12). I’m headed home next week, so I’ll be getting lots done: first dress fitting, bridal shower, caterer meeting, tux shopping, and marriage counseling (required for my church). Whew!

12 Lisa July 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I borrowed from family members that are deceased (my great-grandmother, my grandmother and my husbands mom) a pendant, a charm and a wedding band. I put them all onto a chain and incorporated it into my bouquet near the base so in some photos you can see them just dangling. My sister had done the same, and we will hopefully be able to do it again for our daughters some day! I love that I had a piece of all those special women with me on my special day!

13 Kaylin July 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I highly recommend the DR! I’m actually getting married in Punta Cana in 6 months! Been there twice and the beaches are beautiful, the sand white, and it goes for miles and miles. Everyone is super friendly too!

14 Ash Bear July 5, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Now that we’re six months out please feel free to call/GChat/email me with any questions ALWAYS!!!! WOOHOO!!

Also, I recommend spending the most money of the budget on the band or DJ and the photographer. You’ll remember the pics forever and your guests will remember the dancing! :)

15 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm

My wedding is one week away, and I’m still thinking of tiny details to add to my to-do list! These next months will fly by, so enjoy it!