Well, lookie here, we are officially half way through the planning process!!
With 6 months to go, we have…
- The venue
- A caterer
- My dress
- My veil
- Something blue (my ring), something new (my dress), something old (my veil)
- A flower girl (our niece)
- The guest list
- A Wedding Website (here’s a tour of it!)
- Engagement photos
- The photographer
- Wedding registries
- Officiant (still iffy here.)
- Hotel room block
- The cake cutter (owe a post on this)
- A cake plan
- A DIY flower plan
- Brother Jack
- First dance song
- Mother/Son song (keeping it a secret until the big day!)
- Hair person (same one that did my sister’s wedding)
- Make-up person (same one that did my sister and SIL’s wedding)
Stuff currently “in the works”
- DJ <— spoke to one, but was out of our price range. Progress?
- Videographer <– Got a lead on an up-and-comer. Fingers are crossed for this one!
- Bridesmaid dresses/ cowgirl boots <— Still waiting for the sample dress I ordered. Hoping to give an update when it arrives.
- Tuxes (suits?) for groom/ groomsmen <– on our wedding to-do list this week
- Wedding bands <– going shopping this afternoon to look at options!
- Location for rehearsal dinner <— Derek’s parents have some leads on places. Need to follow up.
- To book the honeymoon <—
decided to wait circle back on this 6 months out. Started looking again last week. Thinking Dominican Republic now, but Mediterranean Cruise isn’t as crazy as we thought it would be.
- Garter <– need to order the FSU one I’ve been coveting on Etsy.
And here’s what we still need (thinking long term here):
- Songs for: ceremony, introductions, father/daughter dance
- something borrowed
- Chair rentals (for ceremony)
- Bridesmaid gifts
- Flower girl dress
- Something for the flower girl to carry
- Groomsmen gifts
- Gifts for parents
- Ceremony script
- Day-of timelines
- Center pieces
- Programs? (I’m liking the chalkboard idea for this one)
- Creative seating chart (my sister’s family dog chart was too amazing for words)
- Dessert bar (double as favors)
- Alcohol (caterer is supplying the bartender)
- Navy shoes
- Marriage license (this is a month out task)
- Find someone to do alterations on bridal gown
- Reserve shuttle service between hotel and wedding site
- …and ????? I’m sure I’m leaving a few things off here
For a minute there I was experiencing a bit of “down time” in terms of wedding planning. I had the majority of the big stuff out of the way and I didn’t feel any rush to move forward with any of the smaller tasks. Then I attended my sister’s wedding and that all went to hell. Seeing her rush around that last week – and watching everything come together – made me realize how much work I still have ahead of me.
I left Kelly’s wedding on a bit of a wedding high, with a recommitment to get my butt back in gear. I kindly reached out to my aunt for flower help (so excited about that!) and she got the conversation rolling on what I envision for ceremony set-up, center pieces, and other various decoration pieces, all things I thought I was thinking about, but I quickly realized I honestly had no idea what I wanted. I’m still not certain with what I want, but now I really am thinking – and emailing back and forth – on what’s out there.
On top of talking to my aunt, I was also able to reach out to a hair person, a make-up person, and a DJ that was highly recommended by a friend. (We loved the DJ, but he’s a little – or $400 – outside of our budget. :() Derek has the rest of the week off (thanks to his company’s awesome holiday policy), so we also have plans to check out wedding bands for the first time, as well as look at tux and suit options for the guys.
The first 6 months of planning flew by (seriously, where did they go?!), and I know the next 6 are going to do the same thing. Here’s hoping they slow down just enough so that we can squeeze in everything that needs to be done. Fingers crossed on that one!
Any planning advice for a bride that’s 6 months out?!