more ยป" />

Like an Eggo… but better

by Meghann on July 5, 2012

Whenever I make a batch of weekend waffles (or, in this case, random-weekday-holiday waffles), I like to make a few extra to eat through the week. I usually freeze whatever is leftover and, when the waffle craving strikes, I just take two out of the freezer, pop them in a toaster as I would an Eggo, and eat. Easy. Peasy.

The cornmeal waffles I made yesterday were a little dry and not terribly sweet. Let’s just say they weren’t exactly the “best waffles ever” to eat on their own, but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t make a great bread replacement in sandwich form. I toasted two of the waffles and filled them with an egg, spinach, and strawberry jam for lunch today.

The waffle-sandwich was delicious (as I knew it would be!). The strawberry jam moistened the sandwich up a bit and the egg and spinach added a great savory element. Who says waffles are just for breakfast?

With the waffles I had some steam-in-a-bag edamame.

Steam-in-a-bag edamame is the best. I usually get the generic Publix brand and it takes like 6 minutes to make. They’re my favorite thing to snack on while prepping the rest of the meal and to mindlessly eat while chatting through lunch. Derek and I were fighting for the last ones.

I updated the wedding page today! Derek and I are officially 6 months out from our wedding day, which means we are officially halfway through planning it. Where does the time go?!

Speaking of the wedding, since Derek has the rest of the week off, we’re going to try and squeeze in some wedding-related tasks this afternoon, including wedding band shopping! I’ve tried on a few options here and there (mainly borrowing friends’ bands to see how they look), but I still have no idea what I want. It will be fun to narrow it down some. :)

1 Annette @FitnessPerks July 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I LOVE eggs, spinach, jam, (and cheese). SUCh a good combo! Great idea to stick it all between waffles.

Have fun shopping for bands! I loved that part, actually :)

2 Kait - @runkaitrun July 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I made a PB&J waffle yesterday morning before my run. Definitely started off my day on the right foot :) LOVE waffles!

3 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I love savory sandwich waffles! I usually press them in the George Foreman for a nice panini feel ;)

4 Emily N July 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hmm, not sure if i could do the sweet/savory eggs/jam combo. It makes me a little bit nervous!

5 clare @ fittingitallin July 5, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love egg sandwiches on waffles! I usually use a little syrup, but jams sounds awesome

6 Cait's Plate July 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Love making my own waffle sandwiches…I’ve never tried it with belgian waffles though – love it!

7 Jess July 5, 2012 at 5:39 pm

My wedding band shopping advice (which comes from over a year as a jewellery sales person) is to keep an open mind, try as many bands as you want, narrow down to 3 favourites, take pictures of them on your finger and then WALK AWAY. Go and have a coffee, look at the pictures and discuss. Go back and have another try on if you need to (please make sure to ask for the same sales person). Don’t rush things. Also, see if they have 2 of your chosen bands on hand. You may want an eternity band in the future, and I personally think they look nicer if they watch the wedder. It is good to see what the ‘complete look’ would look like I you did chose to get an eternity ring in the future.

8 Laura @ sweatingforit July 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I love cornbread! You should post if you find a cornmeal waffle recipe that you do like.

9 Courtney July 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Oh yes! I have pretty much given up breads, so I make a savory coconut flour waffle and when I’m craving a sammich, they work like a charm!

10 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions July 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm

That sounds like a fantastic sandwich! I love leftover waffles so much…kinda weird, but whatever. Haha.

11 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm