Red, White, and Blueberry

by Meghann on July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!!!!

july4th.bmp

(source)

I think 4th of July may just be my favorite holiday when it comes to dressing up food. I’ve been dreaming up these red, white, and blue waffles all week!

The base was a cornmeal waffle (recipe here, but I wouldn’t recommend it – a little dry and in need of some sweetness) with vanilla Chobani, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries.

I think it’s the berries. 4th of July = fresh berries and you really can’t go wrong with that. ;)

Before I could dig into my patriotic waffles, I had a running date with these lovely ladies.

Screen shot 2012-07-04 at 10.27.29 AM.png

Meg (center) is in town this week to celebrate the holiday with her boyfriend, so Mary and I met her for an early run. Well, it was supposed to be an early run. Since Meg had plans at 8:30, we all agreed to meet at 6:30 for a solid 6 miles. My plan was to wake-up at 5:35, be at Mary’s by 6:15, and meet Meg at 6:30.

Umm.. fail.

At approximately 6:20, I heard a buzzing coming from my dresser – it was Mary texting to see where the heck I was. Crap. My alarm didn’t go off and I was running late. Very late.

This wasn’t the first time I’ve had a problem with the alarm on my new phone. When I set it last night I was so proud for remembering to change the date to Wednesday (otherwise the phone sets itself for the day you set it , which was the problem I discovered the first time I missed an alarm), that I didn’t realize it still said 5:35 PM and not AM. Fail.

I felt awful because I really wanted to run with them, especially since Meg is only in town for a short time. I sent a quick text telling them to start without me and that I would meet them somewhere in the middle. I threw on clothes, grabbed my shoes, and was out the door in under 10 minutes. The usual 20 minute drive to South Tampa felt longer than usual, but I ended up making it to the trail just after 7:00.

Since I knew they were doing an out and back, I started running in the direction I assumed they would be coming from and – thankfully – found them pretty quickly. I ended up going a little over a mile trying to find them and three miles once I connected with the group.

Despite missing my alarm, and arriving terribly late for the run, I’m so glad I made the effort to get to the other side of town to say Hi. It was worth the short run with friends and I’m glad I got to see Meg (if only for 20 minutes!).

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some cherry pitting to get to. ;)

Have a great 4th!

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats July 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ahhh that’s so frustrating when things go wrong with alarms! I often do that – set an alarm for pm when I meant am!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Weekend Style

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

I bet it was already so hot by 7:00! Florida humidity in July … yikes! Good for you for still getting out there!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Trying new things.

3 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 4, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I hate missing my alarm! It makes me feel so flustered and behind. I’m glad you got to make it out to see your friends though.

Have a wonderful day!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Happy 4th!

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I’m impressed with your dedication! I’m sure a lot of people (probably myself included) would apologize profusely and go back to bed for a little while. Glad you were able to work it out!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..We’ve Got History.

5 Laura @ sweatingforit July 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Great job getting up and going though! I’m sure they appreciated seeing you.
Laura @ sweatingforit recently posted..Tippecanoe and Tyler, too! Vote for my training plan

6 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 4, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I’m always so paranoid about my phone alarm that I end up waking up throughout the night to check it if I’m going to be getting up for a big event the next day.

Way to make it out for a run, and glad to hear you were able to meet up with your friends! Happy Fourth!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..The Streak Is Over

7 Renee July 4, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I’ve always had problems with my phone alarm. I finally quit using it so that I’d you know actually wake up. Your waffles look amazing. It makes me want some right now. Happy 4th!
Renee recently posted..Good runs and an ultrasound

8 Meghan @ After the Ivy League July 5, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I completely slept through an alarm last week, and was 20 minutes late for work! It happens…alarm clocks aren’t fool proof. At least you got a solid few miles in with your friends!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Throwback Thursday and Double Bean Burgers