You do exist!

by Meghann on July 3, 2012

Good Morning!

This morning was my first morning back with my XP Multisport teammates. Part of me was dreading the super early wake-up call, while the other part couldn’t wait to meet up with all of my friends. I mean, clearly they were missing me too.

Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 9.19.24 AM.png

You go out of town for ONE week and all of a sudden *poof* you no longer exist. Figures.

In all honestly, when I pulled up, it was as if I never left. Our coach gave me a lane, gave me a warm-up and said “swim!” Yes, sir!

1900 meter swim workout.png

The workout was breathing heavy, which gave us room to concentrate on our technique and stroke. Breathing every 5th stroke (instead of the recommended 3) was surprisingly more difficult than I anticipated. Even though we kept a semi-easy steady pace, I still found myself out of breath at the end of each 100. I was also so worried about counting every 5 strokes, that I forgot to work on my form. Oops.

The 4 x 50 easy was a test of how many strokes it took us to get across the pool. I had no idea what a “good” amount was, so I counted and casually gave my coach the number 50 after my first set. Eh. Apparently that wasn’t good. He gave me the benefit of the doubt and assumed I miscounted. He then told me to go again, this time only counting every time the right hand hit the water (we would double it at the end). I got to the end and said “27″ (or 55-ish total). Nope. Bad. That number was too high and I was told to get it down immediately. I was instructed to focus on my glide and to reach as far in front of me as possible to get as much pull as I could in my stroke.

I tried two more 50s, but had trouble getting the number any lower. It was only on my last set that I heard my lane partner tell the coach “36″ and realized that I have a long way to go on this skill. Dang.

I will say, after a week of swimming in a 25 yard pool, man did it feel good to return to the 50 meter “long pool” this morning.

Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 9.15.35 AM.png

I’m officially a long pool convert. Once you go long, you can’t go back. ;)

We wrapped up our swim around 7:30 and I headed home for breakfast.

In the bowl:

• 3/4 cup Kashi Blueberry Clusters
  • 1/2 cup Honey Nut Cherrios
  • Plain Fage
  • blueberries
  • strawberries
  • raspberries

Gotta love those berries! :)

Time to get to work!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 3, 2012 at 10:23 am

ahhhh all those berries look so good!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down On Friday!

2 Nikki July 3, 2012 at 11:21 am

It’s so had to work those under water pulls! I used to hate distance per stroke drills!! But awesome work with the breathing :)

3 Annette @FitnessPerks July 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

Oh YES to those berries!!

I like the way your coach had you count your strokes. That is a great idea to see how you’re doing with pulls. Maybe in my next swim I’ll count ‘em up and see where I am too!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..How To Savor Food + ZonePerfect Coconut Protein Bar Review

4 Coco July 3, 2012 at 11:28 am

Haha! Well at least you know they missed you :) I unfortunately have never had the chance to swim in a long pool.. someday soon hopefully! I remember counting endless amount of strokes… it definitely keeps your mind focused, thats for sure. We used to do the “catch up” drill, or the fingertip drag to try and lengthen strokes.. but you know what? After being out of the pool for so long and finally returning, I’m missing all of those drills and their lessons! My stroke needs some de-rusting for sure! My biggest hurdle is trying to not swim like a sprinter.. and I have A LOT of work to do.. Once a sprinter always a sprinter!

5 Army Amy* July 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I bet it was really nice to get back into your swim practice mode. It stinks that your strokes were way off, but it’s good to have something very specific like that to work on.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Post-Wax

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Berries are so good right now. Your breakfast looks awesome :)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Flexible Morning

7 rebecca @blueberry smiles July 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’ve never counted my strokes swimming….now I’m so curious what my number would be! And YUM, I want those berries

8 Emily N July 3, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I got a bathing suit, goggles and a swim cap (finally) now its time to get my butt in the pool and start working on it!
Emily N recently posted..A Good Run, I Needed It!

9 Candice July 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Can I just tell you how much I enjoy that you post your swim workouts! I’m not able to workout with a team because of the kiddos and odd work hour shuffle with the husband, and I hate going into a workout blindly. Its much easier and I feel more accomplished when I copy down yours and take it with me.
If I didn’t it would be a long hour of freestyle with a little of this and that worked in.
so thank you!
Candice recently posted..Let the festivities begin

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I wish I could get to the pool more often. Perfect workout for summer!

11 Christine July 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm

If you’re having trouble figuring out exactly what a glide looks/feels like, try watching the Olympics and/or trials (are the trials over yet? I don’t know, lol). The camera angles are really good for watching them slap the water, what position their hands are in, etc.
Christine recently posted..Random Recipe: Breakfast Casserole

12 Anna July 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Hey.
That brecfast looks delishious, and i am always on a hunt for new healthy ideas.
I really like your blog. :)
Swimming is the best. I hope to get to the sea at least once this summer.
Anna recently posted..Baby Jane by Sofi Oksanen

13 AD July 4, 2012 at 6:14 am

Have you tried ‘swim golf’ ? It’s a swim drill where you count the number of strokes in a lap (or two) then add that to the time it took you to swim it. So if you took 30 strokes and the lap took you 30 seconds, that’s a 60. Just like golf- the lower the # the better. We used to do it three times during a swim workout- after the warm up, in the middle after a harder superset, then before the cool down. You do it twice each time, try to get lower number each time.