Wedding: DIY Flowers

by Meghann on July 3, 2012

Last summer a friend of my sister’s planted an idea in her head. She had DIY-ed the flowers at her own wedding and could not stop raving how easy, inexpensive , and fun the whole experience was. She gave my sister the name and location of the flower warehouse she used in Orlando and told her to do it too.

That’s all the encouragement my sister needed, she was sold on the idea of DIY flowers from day one and when my aunt – a former florist – agreed to help her, it was game on.

My sister and aunt worked together for months on selecting flowers, exchanging arrangement ideas, and covering just about everything wedding related. The Thursday before the wedding, my sister picked up the flowers, and a gang of us headed to my aunt’s to help with arrangements. The whole process of making the boutonnieres, corsages, and bouquets only took a few hours and really was a fun experience.

Then, on Friday, we took the remaining flowers to the reception site and finished the centerpieces on site.

The flowers looked AMAZING. My sister and aunt did an incredible job designing every last detail and no one believed the flowers were all DIY. Why would they? They were too perfect to be!

599198_10151045954741093_1151923183_n.jpeg

In the back of my mind, I’d always wanted to follow my sister’s lead with the flowers. My budget is just as tight, and the way that our friend raved about it, she convinced me to go that route too. I was just a tad bit nervous about the added stress DIY flowers might cause. Could it really be that easy?

Why, yes, yes it could.

The flowers were probably the least stressful part about my sister’s wedding. Once every flower was picked up and accounted for on Thursday morning, she just sort of rolled with the punches and put her trust n my aunt (who was amazing). She had no need to stress. There was plenty of help and everything turned out gorgeous.

Watching the process unfold, I began to grow more and more excited about my own flowers. Holy crap. We could do this.

My aunt started quizzing me on my wedding almost as soon as Kelly’s was over. She had so much fun with Kelly’s wedding, that she was thirsty for more and I could deliver. The emails started last week and – WOW! – my aunt IS amazing.

I sent her my wedding flower Pinterest board and, not only did she send me back notes on what I had selected, but she dissected every photo and what flowers were included.

Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 3.38.31 PM.png

1) Brides.com – winter wedding flowers ll – green protea, white peonies, standard white carnations, wood sola flowers, succulents, camellia buds, tallow berries, hypericum berries

2) stylemepretty.com – more pretty winter flowers – anemones (black centers), dahlias, succulents, dusty miller

3) Google.com – white coral, balsa wood flowers

4) wedding.com – calla lilies, orchids, mums, roses, gardenias, freesia

5) stylemepretty.com – winter flowers – anemones, freesia, phlox, tulips

6) emmacasephotography.blogspot.com – anemones, roses, blue thistle (also called sea holly), succulents

7) bridal hood.blogspot.com – succulents including air plant, seeded eucalyptus, eucalyptus, gypsophila ( b. breath)

8) stylemepretty.com – cool winter flowers – anemones, roses, lamb’s ear, gypsophila, hydrangea

9) brides.com – cymbidium orchids, silver brunia, anemones, spray roses, seeded eucalyptus, Vendela roses, dusty miller

10) wedding.theknot.com – winter white flowers – peonies, ranunculus, roses, berries, dusty miller

11) rouge-allure.tumblr.com – dahlias

12) tinywhitedaisies.tumblr.com – ranunculus

Can I tell you how much I love my aunt?! Because I do! I really do!

I also got a quick lesson on which of those flowers would be a little pricier because of season (ranunculus and anemones are Spring flowers, peonies are Summer, dahlias are Autumn, etc.), which ones could work for January ( succulents, camellias, gardenias, stock, phlox, star of Bethlehem, freesia, etc.), and some blues options for the “pop of color” I was after (holly, Veronica, and volkerfreidin delphinium) <– there was a lot of flower googling on my part. 😉

There were also these notes:

• Bride, bridesmaids – style of bouquet? – tussie-mussie? How many
  • Moms, grandmothers – how many? wrist corsage or pinned?
  • Groom, groomsmen, fathers, grandfathers – how many?
  • Throw-away bouquet?
  • Ceremony flowers? Other decorations? Alter? Aisle? Chairs?
  • Reception: Tables – centerpieces? Other pieces? Sign-in table? Cake table? Dessert table?

umm… obviously I have a LOT to think about. But I’m excited to get started!

I have a “flower date” with my aunt on July 15th and I can’t wait to see where it goes from there!

Did you DIY your flowers?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

That’s so exciting that you’ll get to work with your aunt on your flowers! You know she’ll put in so much more effort and care than a regular florist would!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down On Friday!

2 Mary @ food and fun on the run July 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm

What an amazing way to save money! We spent around $1500 on all of our flowers, including centerpieces and what not. Cutting some of that off would have helped tremendously!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Lululemon Baptiste Yoga Workshop

3 Lindsey July 3, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Kind of… I bought all my flowers at Costco super cheap and then my Mother-in-Law did the bouquet and boutineers, she was a florist about 20 years ago and is very talented so we were lucky! We only had bouquets for myself, the bridesmaids, then the boutineers for my husband and the groomsmen to keep it simple.
Lindsey recently posted..Fireworks, Friends & Fun

4 Army Amy* July 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm

It’s so fun that your aunt it really into it! It sounds like you are in good hands! Kelly’s flowers look amazing in the pictures you have posted. In fact, even though I had read that they were DIY, when I was looking at your wedding recaps, I honestly forgot and remember thinking that the flowers were gorgeous!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Post-Wax

5 Amanda July 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Woah! Those notes are a lot, I had no idea so much went into flowers, no wonder you thought they’d be a bit daunting to DIY! That’s so great she’s helping you out, your sisters flowers are perfectly beautiful.
Amanda recently posted..Last Night

6 Liz July 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

It seems like you’re on a roll! Do you think it still would be feasible without your aunt? Centerpieces sound fairly easy but boutonnières and corsages seem a little intimidating…

7 Meghann July 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I think it could if you have an eye for it. Personally, I’m not sure I would do it without my aunt, but I’m also not very talented when it comes to design.

8 Em July 3, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I have a friend who has done flowers for a few weddings so I recruited her. It was semi-DIY because I didn’t go through a shop or anything. She ordered the flowers and put together two bouquets (mine and my MOH (no other bridesmaids in my wedding) and 4 boutonnieres (groom, best man, fathers). I didn’t have any other flowers at the ceremony or reception because I had a very simple wedding. The flowers turned out gorgeous though. I loved my bouqeut!

9 Laura July 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Do you think your aunt would do a guest post on simple wedding flower DIY? I’m getting married next May and we’re going to try to DIY hydrangea bouquets, but I don’t have a clue what I’m doing!

10 Christine @ BookishlyB July 3, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Kudos on listing your Pinterest sources!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Check You Out

11 Selene Thompson July 3, 2012 at 2:15 pm

My friend is getting married in Orlando and we have no idea where to get started…. Could you share the flower warehouse name with us? Btw my friend runs away from technology, do I email her all your wedding posts and she loves them. Her sister got married in April and she’s getting married in September so she can relate with a lot of what you’ve been going through. Thanks 🙂

12 Megan @ The Delightfull Dash July 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Wow, you all did an amazing job! Your aunt is very talented! It’s great that she can guide you on the prices of each flower.

I helped my sister with DIY flowers for her wedding and they turned out gorgeous! She also got most of her flowers at a warehouse (I think she spent less than $200). We also found some amazing flowers at Whole Foods that were fairly inexpensive. We made the bouquets, boutonnieres, centerpieces, and arrangements for her outdoor ceremony. All of the guests commented on how beautiful they were and couldn’t believe that we made them ourselves. So worth it!
Megan @ The Delightfull Dash recently posted..Weekend, Interrupted

13 Xiomara @ parkesdale July 3, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I love your sister’s flower arrangements. They remind me of the ones we had at our wedding and they were professionally done. 🙂
Xiomara @ parkesdale recently posted..What’s next?

14 Hillary July 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm

My best friend pretty much took care of her own wedding flowers, too—and they came out wonderful!
Hillary recently posted..PB&J Thumbprints

15 Jessica July 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Absolutely love the DIY flowers idea!

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League July 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Wow, you’re so lucky to have an aunt who knows so much about flowers! She’ll be a huge help I’m sure. I love your sister’s wedding dress, so pretty!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Triathlon Training: I Bought a Bike!

17 Rachel Wilkerson July 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Lucky you to have your aunt to help you! It kills me how expensive flowers can get! I am hoping to avoid having them altogether…winter wedding and all, so I’m hoping to do something pretty with branches/pinecones/etc.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{the life} Better Left Unsaid

18 Dori July 4, 2012 at 5:53 am

I’m hoping to avoid flowers too, because I don’t care about them!
Dori recently posted..Sparkly Soul Headband Giveaway

19 CampingGirl July 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I didn’t diy my flowers but I didn’t have any bridesmaids so they were fairly inexpensive. My little brother was my man of honour 🙂
CampingGirl recently posted..A Feeling To Remember

20 Hilary July 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm

My whole wedding was DIY so the flowers were too. My sister knew how to make everything so once she said she would help I was on board. We ordered lillies and roses from Costco and couldn’t have been happier. HUGE gorgeous blooms and rock bottom prices. If you have a membership to Costco, I would highly recommend looking into them and comparing prices with the warehouse in Orlando. We bought babies breath and other green filler from the grocery store the day before the wedding.

We had a really small wedding (no attendants and small reception) so it was pretty easy for us to tackle. My sister did the bouts, corsages, and bouquet and my family helped make the centerpieces, all during the rehearsal dinner! Really it was fun, and not stressful in the least!

21 Karen July 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

OMG I love love love this! I did my wedding flowers too! I didnt have a great resource around me to get flowers so I bought them from Bloomsbythebox.com and I was so happy with the flowers and the money I saved. I agree it really is not that hard and they really did look beautiful!