more ยป" />

Wedding: A Family Of Helpers

by Meghann on July 2, 2012

Last weekend my sister had her fairytale wedding. She married the man of her dreams in a gorgeous outdoor ceremony, partied the night away with her closest friends and family, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen my sister smile so much in her life; I’ve also never seen her happier.

It was a beautiful wedding, that we will all remember for a lifetime.

And it wasn’t just that. Beyond the rehearsal, getting ready, the ceremony, the reception, or their obvious love for each other, there was something else that touched my heart last weekend… my family.

I’ve always known my family is pretty incredible – I have more aunts, uncles, and cousins than I can count, and everyone of them would walk through fire if it meant helping someone in the family – but last weekend they flat out went above and beyond anything I could ever imagine.

I’ll admit reading blogs – or reading the comments of these blog posts – have left me feeling guilty taking my family up on their original offers to help on anything wedding related. Where at first I felt so excited and incredibly thankful for their offers, I began to feel worried that I was asking too much, that I could do this on my own and that I didn’t want to be a bother. I started to waiver from my original plans a bit and considered upping the original budget and hiring outside vendors for the DIY projects I had in mind. I was giving into stranger’s advice, instead of listening to my heart.

But then – THEN – I saw those same family members help with my sister’s wedding this past weekend and all those doubts vanished.

I’m not kidding when I say they went above and beyond helping, because they did. Not only in the weeks leading up to the ceremony with DIY projects and collecting decorative pieces, but in the two days before the ceremony when they drove to the site early and turned the standard banquet hall into a beautiful purple and green forrest.

Kelly and Anthony had several hands on deck arranging flowers, decorating the altar, adding lights to trees made of branches cut from various backyards, and just helping in anyway possible. They took Kelly’s vision and made it reality, while laughing, joking, and having fun with it. To them, this was fun.

I was literally speechless and incredibly humbled by how great everyone was. I was also inspired by my amazing family and now can not wait to work with them on mine and Derek’s wedding this coming January. They’re just as excited to work on it too. They’re already sending ideas my way on how they can help and are offering their services in anyway possible. I think asking them to not help would be more heart breaking to them than asking them to help.

Before my sister’s wedding, I was beginning to panic on getting this done or that done with setting up the site before the wedding, but now that panic is gone (at least temporarily) because I know my family will be there and I know they will help make our wedding the best that it can be. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Lisa July 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I too come from a large extended family. Some people are blessed with it and others aren’t. Some are very close and some aren’t. If someone doesn’t want to help that’s fine, but when you have that close knit relationship and everyone comes together, it makes it do much better. I never understand why people comment negative things on people’s blogs, I don’t have one, but when I read something I don’t like, I ignore it, not go on to be nasty.
Enjoy the rest of your wedding planning and enjoy the time with your family while doing so. ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Angie @ hairbyangie July 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I was going to tell you that I thought you had a pretty AWESOME family… and I’m so jealous!!!! my family is so small, and I don’t even communicate with my parents. You’re so blessed!! ๐Ÿ™‚ How cool is it that they stepped up with the wedding and then to go on vacation with some the second week!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Angie @ hairbyangie recently posted..What I’ve been up to

3 Bethany July 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This post almost made me cry. I’m sorry people were making you feel that way. Family is great, and if you have a family willing to help, go with your gut! Also, its a fun way to get the family together and it certainly sounds like your family loves doing it with you!!!!

4 Sandy July 2, 2012 at 2:50 pm

That is great that you have such an amazing amount of support from your family! You are truly blessed!

5 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers July 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm

if it makes you feel any better someone told me i shouldn’t be eating all of my parents’ food when i go visit them at their house for a weekend. apparently i should be bringing a cooler and/or writing them a check for groceries. ๐Ÿ™‚ if/when my sister gets married, i honestly WANT to help her in every way possible. getting married is such an incredible experience and as her sister, i want to help make her special day as memorable and perfect as it can be. i’m sure your family feels the same way! you know them better than anyone else and would get “that feeling” if you were asking too much.
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Drop Dead Healthy

6 McKenzie July 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm

This makes me sad! But also because when I go home, my parents actually do expect me to pay for food I eat while I’m home or replace food or drink that I take from their fridge. Family is definitely a tough topic!

7 Ashley Y July 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I was married this last November and have a word of advice from my now dh and I working on a lot of projects: order more than you think you need for decorations. Obviously you don’t need a ton of everything, just a little more than you think you need. Mistakes happen when figuring out how exactly to approach projects. Also, on the way to our wedding one of our glass candleholders on our a centerpiece broke. We didn’t have a back-up and it wasn’t a huge deal, but we would have saved ourselves and the bridesmaid, who was transporting it, some stress had we been more prepared. Other than that don’t stress the small stuff and have a lot of fun making it about you and Derek.

8 Amanda July 2, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I think it is so great you have such a close family and they all want to help. Honestly, if you ask and they say yes then just go with it, I’d hope that if someone actually didn’t want to help they’d say so rather than just say yes because you’re family and then be upset about it. I know my Sister just assumed that since I have two babies I wouldn’t help her with her wedding even though I kept trying to get more involved she pretty much ignored my help and it hurt my feelings. I wish she had asked rather than just assumed one way or the other, so it never hurts to ask ๐Ÿ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Oh Monday

9 Jameil July 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Isn’t it crazy how the wedding industrial complex can twist what can and should be a fun, happy day? The biggest blessing of our short engagement period was not having time to second guess all of our decisions and constantly revise our budget upwards. I’m glad you had your sister’s wedding to get you back to where you want to be!
Jameil recently posted..Monday Mindspacing Vol. 142

10 Meghan @ After the Ivy League July 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

My family is the exact same way! Especially my mom’s side. They’d be insulted if they weren’t given something to do to help out with this event or that event. It’s how they show how much they love and care about you!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Trader Joeโ€™s Will Change Your Life

11 Candice July 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm

That’s why we are family <3 (you know me your cousin and my husband lol) Let us know, we cant wait

12 Kelly July 4, 2012 at 11:47 pm

haha…..”like” this comment. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I was definitely one of those “oh ill just do it myself” kind of brides. I really didn’t want to bother anyone especially since I have the summers off since I’m a teacher. Definitely take the help!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..weird weather

14 Amanda July 3, 2012 at 10:42 am

Definitely get as much help as you can get because things do come up!!