more ยป" />

Recovering

by Meghann on July 2, 2012

Look who is still recovering from vacation.

Five bucks says she doesn’t a budge an inch all day… any takers? ๐Ÿ˜‰

The past two weeks have been a little crazy for me. Between my sister’s wedding, Healthy Living Summit planning, and escaping to an island for a week, I haven’t exactly been eating “right” or staying consistent with my exercise plan. Let’s just say there may or may not have been a few extra bites here or there that escaped the camera’s lens recently; and I may or may not have missed a workout or two in favor of sleep. It happens.

I had my excuses (it’s my sister’s wedding! it’s vacation! how often does someone make chocolate chip cookie/ brownie deliciousness?!?!) and, for two weeks, I learned to let go. I slept in, I got in workouts when I could, and I enjoyed the same great foods my family did. I wasn’t exactly stuffing the entire pan of brownies in my mouth, but I also wasn’t denying myself a few bites when the craving struck. I vacationed and lived the moment.

Do I feel guilty for eating more and exercising less while away? Not a bit. Sometimes weeks like that are simply needed and I knew I’d be back home and back to my regular routine soon enough. Vacations aren’t an excuse to simply let everything go, but they are an excuse to sit back, relax, and enjoy the mini escape from reality. ๐Ÿ˜‰

When I woke up this morning to my usual alarm, I felt rested and calm. And when I stepped on the treadmill at the gym, I felt fast and ready to run. I flipped on The Today Show (I might be in the minority when I say I’m sad to see Ann Curry go) and ran a 40 minute interval.

• 5 min warm-up
  • 5 x 3 mins @ 7.5 w/ 2 min rest at 4.0
  • 2 x 2 mins @ 8.0 w/ 3 min rest at 4.0

Followed by a mix of weights.

I really, really missed free weights. I think I’m starting to get addicted to them. Too bad it’s not as easy to travel with 20 lb dumbbells as it is with running shoes or swim googles. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After the gym I made a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • chia seeds
  • raisins
  • cinnamon

on top:

• Blueberry Vita-Top
  • honey peanut butter
  • raspberries
  • blueberries
  • strawberries

I tried really, really hard to keep up with emails while I was away last week, but I think my inbox got the best of me. My first goal of the morning is to play catch-up. Wish me luck!

Have a great Monday, everyone!

1 Kaitlyn @ Chocolate Running Shoes July 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

I LOVE the feeling of that first real workout back after a vacation…feeling rested and ready to tackle it! Good for you ๐Ÿ™‚
Kaitlyn @ Chocolate Running Shoes recently posted..Olympic Swimmers like Chocolate Milk + Some cliche advice

2 Lindsay July 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

You shouldn’t feel guilty for not photographing everything you eat. I’m pretty sure most of your readers don’t care about the snapshot of a peach/pear/apple/chocolate square that you had for a snack everyday! (Or maybe I’m just speaking for myself here?) It’s your blog and if you don’t feel like photographing all of your food, don’t photograph it!

3 Katie July 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love that you don’t feel guilty for loosening up on vacation. It’s so easy to get upset or stressed when you ease up on things that are so important to you (like health) even when you are on vacation. Total health, though, is about balance! And as long as you get back to it eventually, it’s all good. ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie recently posted..Clean Puppy & Stocked Fridge

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

Relaxing is what it vacation is all about, not stressing over food, exercise, or taking pictures :). I’m glad you enjoyed yourself!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Monday Things {07-02-2012}

5 Cait's Plate July 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

It’s always so tough when you’re away to keep up with the internet! Good luck digging out! ๐Ÿ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Breakfast Fit for a King

6 Annette @FitnessPerks July 2, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I totally agree with you. Vacation is meant to be enjoyed–not totally ‘go crazy’ but to not necessarily stay doing what you’ve always done. Besides, it’s good for the body and mind to take a break from ‘normality’ for awhile!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 82 Review + Weekend Recap

7 Colleen July 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Your dog and I are very unlike, I always get a vacation hangover, and it lasts way longer than it should. As for being a little relaxed with exercises and food intake- don’t worry about it- if you never take those vacations from healthy living you’ll eventually sabotage yourself!
Colleen recently posted..Monday Funday

8 Grazia July 2, 2012 at 1:56 pm

How cute is a dog sleeping? And Maddie is one of the cutest puppies I’ve ever seen!

9 amy July 2, 2012 at 2:13 pm

There should be some rule that every vacation ends with a day of vacation at home, why is relaxing at the beach always so exhausting!!
amy recently posted..What do you do for YOU?

10 Army Amy* July 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I’m sad about Ann Curry, too! You can tell by watching her farewell just how passionate she is about what she does and how much she cares about the viewers.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Tone It Up Challenge: The Conclusion

11 erica July 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

that is the most adorable maddie picture! she’s such a cutie patootie!
i totally agree to just relax and enjoy yourself for those events!
erica recently posted..twinsies!

12 Samantha Angela July 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Aww… Maddie is SO adorable!

13 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats July 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Haha I know what you mean, weights are one if the workouts you just can’t travel with!