Feeding an Army

by Meghann on June 29, 2012

When you’re stuck on an island – and the closest grocery store is a 20 minute boat ride away – you have to be more than a little prepared when it comes to meals for the week. We learned our lesson the first year, when we decided to just ‘wing it’ and ended up running out of vegetable (and beer!) halfway through the week. Oops. The next year we created a detailed excel spreadsheet with a breakdown of meals for the week, as well as a detailed grocery list attached on the bottom.

Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 10.03.52 PM.png

The spreadsheet worked great. We had plenty of food, plenty of beer, and everyone was a happy camper. In fact, it worked so well, that we decided to pretty much copy the same thing for this year’s trip.

Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 10.04.21 PM.png

(we’ve rearranged the meals around a bit since we’ve been here)

And ended up with a fridge that looks like this.

I’m pretty sure we had enough food to feed an army for a week, but better to be over prepared than under prepared…right?

Creating the menu was a joint effort. My dad is usually the head chef of the family, but we wanted to mix it up and take turns cooking to spread it out a bit. Ben and Ashley stepped forward and added jambalaya to the mix (which we had last night and was really yummy) and Adena and Josh offered up their “Mediterranean Surprise” dish.

Unfortunately, Adena and Josh ended up flying back early, but we wanted to make sure to still try and re-create the “Mediterranean Surprise” in their honor.

By the way, we were the ones who dubbed the dish “Mediterrenan Surprise” because it didn’t have an official name and was a big mystery to all of us (especially when Adena and Josh left). We knew what ingredients were in it, but not much beyond that. When it came time to make it tonight, I sent a quick text to Adena to get the full instructions.

The dish was fairly simple, and made a ton. Adena told me to start by cooking two cups of sticky rice, then cutting up onion and chicken, and throwing both in a big pan with garlic. Once the chicken was cooked, I was instructed to add fresh lemon juice, broccoli, frozen spinach, and sundried tomatoes to the large pan, waiting until the veggies were cooked, then finish the dish by adding the cooked rice, some greek dressing, red pepper flakes, and topping with feta cheese.

The dish was tasty and would make an easy weeknight meal for a large family. It’s a no-fail meal that I would definitely make again.

Thank you, Adena!!

For dessert, my mom (inspired by Ashley) got a little creative with the cookie dough and brownie mix.

She filled two cake pans with cookie dough, then poured the brownie mix on top. I can’t even begin to tell you how tasty this was.

I had an undisclosed amount while researching honeymoon destinations with Derek.

We haven’t booked a place yet, but we do have a better idea of where we want to go and what we want to do. It helps to have some family members around to bounce travel ideas off of.

Speaking of honeymoons, my sister seems to be enjoying hers.

179907_10102068990652993_262192280_n.jpeg

The up above photo was taken at a lighthouse with the caption “we even saw whales!” You can’t beat the views of the coast of California. Gorgeous! :)

Have a good night, everyone!

1 Sana June 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm

The cookie+brownie combo sounds awesome!

2 Elisabeth June 29, 2012 at 11:21 pm

What a gorgeous photo! I’ve never visited California, but would love to go ;)

3 RunEatRepeat June 29, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I agree – y0u cannot beat the CA coast. This is where it’s at!

4 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) June 30, 2012 at 12:50 am

Honeymoon planning – how exciting! Pinterest has given me numerous ideas of where I’d want to go on a honeymoon…..never mind the fact that I don’t have a fiancé. ;)

5 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 30, 2012 at 8:12 am

Mmmmmm, that cookie dough brownie looks GOOD.

We just booked our honeymoon for October… Expensiveeee! We are going to Venice & Florence. I’m so excited! I bet you are too!

6 Cait's Plate June 30, 2012 at 8:18 am

Looks delicious. And it really is incredible how much food a whole group of people can eat. It’s so hard to plan! But it looks like you guys did a great job of it :)

As for that dessert? YUM.

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

That dinner does look good! And I’m so jealous of your sister’s trip! Whales are by far my favorite animal, I would love to be able to see them in the wild!

8 Wendy June 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

Thank you for sharing how you prepare for your time at the beach house. We are getting ready to go to one for a week for the first time, and this will be so helpful to me! I love how organized and prepared you guys are.

9 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer June 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm

What light house is this??

10 brianna June 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm

So, I’ve been feeling a bit sorry for myself, as I’m having to spend all day today and tomorrow working (at least I can do it from home!). That cookie dough/brownie creation will definitely brighten my day! Do you know if she just baked it according to the brownie box directions?

11 Meghann July 2, 2012 at 11:22 am

I think she baked it by the brownie box directions :)

12 Shauna July 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Ever since I saw this post, my mind has been occupied with thoughts of that mysterious Mediterranean Surprise. I finally acquired the ingredients for it and made it tonight, and it’s just as delicious as I imagined it would be! Being a vegetarian I made it without chicken (I also skipped the onion; I’m picky like that) but otherwise followed the recipe. I’ll definitely be making this again. Thanks for posting it!

Do you have any idea what it’s called? My boyfriend and I have been debating this issue. Evidently we lead very interesting lives.

13 Meghann July 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Still no idea what it’s called. Adena just made the recipe up, so It really doesn’t have a name. :)