Island Running

by Meghann on June 28, 2012

Good Morning!

20120628_080016.jpg

Check out that BEAUTIFUL sunrise! Not a cloud in the sky and nothin’ but blue as far as the eye can see. Welcome to paradise. πŸ™‚

I was up with the sun – in the hope of beating the heat – and savored my first run in almost a week.

20120628_074835.jpg

The run was absolutely gorgeous. There’s nothing quite like running on a quiet beach before the rest of the island has even had their first cup of coffee. I did a 4 mile loop around the island; zigging and zagging down this road or that as I went. The 4 miles went faster than I was expecting and I ended up keeping a sub-9:00 minute pace – not bad for running on sandy roads in the crazy humidity. πŸ˜‰

Maddie was really sad she couldn’t run, but it’s a bit too hot and humid for her.

I wore my new Brooks #RunHappy apparel on the run.

IMG_5944.jpg IMG_5945.jpg

I received the Women’s Epiphany Support Tank II and Women’s Versatile 3.5″ Low Rise Woven from Brooks just over three weeks ago and this was my 4th or 5th time wearing the combo. Love them! I’m so obsessed that I can hardly wait until they’re out of the wash before wearing them again. πŸ™‚

The Epiphany Support Tank was actually recommended by my Brooks’ contact. I was a little wary at first – since it’s a form-fitting tank and I’m not a fan of how form-fitting tanks hug the belly area – but this top sucked everything in and was flattering right off the bat. I think the choice of black helped. πŸ˜‰

Epiphany tank.jpeg

I also love the racerback straps, the fact that it doesn’t ride up, and how supportive it is. Something I learned in NYC the other week is that the Brooks’ Support Tanks are built for high impact support for A and B cups. The outer layer acts as compression, while the support underneath has the same “divide and conquer” seamless cup construction as the tank’s counterpart the Women’s Epiphany Bra II. It’s more than just a shelf bra – it’s a whole support system.

back.jpeg

The girls didn’t budge, which made a very comfortable, enjoyable run.

The only con with the tank was that it isn’t as breathable as I would like it to be (especially in the tough Florida humidity). There are strategically placed mesh ventilation areas in the tank, but the tank’s compression material is very thick and the mesh vents don’t do much to help that fact. I still love the tank, but I’ll just be saving it for days that aren’t crazy high on the heat or humidity. πŸ˜‰

On the bottom I had the Women’s Versatile 3.5″ Low Rise Woven shorts.

Versatile Low Rise Woven .jpeg

These shorts aren’t for everyone, but I am a fan. I like the wide band and pockets, but mainly I like the fit. They’re low rise, with a short inseam and are perfect for my short legs and torso. I prefer to run in short-shorts over long ones and these babies fit the bill. πŸ™‚

IMG_5950.jpg

My new favorite running outfit. πŸ™‚

Ashley had started prepping this morning’s breakfast (her family’s famous french toast) sometime last night. She basically coated two cake pans with butter then sprinkled a heavy mix of brown sugar and cinnamon on top before adding slices of stale french bread that had been soaking in eggs. The whole combo went in the fridge overnight then baked for 15 minutes at 350 with a foil cover and then 15 more minutes uncovered.

The dish was sticky, gooey, and the world’s perfect french toast. It was so rich, it didn’t even need syrup. πŸ˜‰

I paired my serving with some vanilla Chobani and fresh blueberries.

I also had an egg.

The crew is packing up and heading out to the beach. I think I’ll join them. πŸ˜‰

Have a great Thursday!!

1 kalli June 28, 2012 at 10:42 am

love your outfit! super cute. and i agree nothing like getting a good run in before everyone is awake. enjoy your day!

2 Courtney June 28, 2012 at 10:46 am

Sounds like we have the same body type, so I’ll have to try that shirt and shorts! Thanks for the recommendation, have fun at the beach πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Those Same Colors I Always Wear

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run June 28, 2012 at 10:53 am

I love the top for sure – the double thin strips make it look more feminine too! I think I’ll have to look into one πŸ™‚
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Running Waterbottles

4 Beth June 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’m glad to hear good reviews from that Brooks top! I just found it online and am thinking about purchasing it. I love the straps and those are pretty much what attracted me to it the most. Looks like I’ll be purchasing it very soon to get me through training for the Marine Corps Marathon! Enjoy the rest of your vacation! πŸ™‚
Beth recently posted..Yoga and Speedwork

5 Faith @ For the Health of It June 28, 2012 at 10:55 am

Running is so much more fun when you switch up the scenery a little. My best runs have been when I’m on vacation and have gorgeous new things to explore!

6 Jamie @ StudioEats June 28, 2012 at 11:11 am

What a gorgeous run!! Glad you are enjoying your vacation πŸ™‚
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..One Day, Two Notable Restaurants

7 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 28, 2012 at 11:13 am

I loveeee baked French toast! I make the stuff from Allrecipes.com called “Creme Brulee French Toast” – Check it out, it’s amazing stuff!
Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep recently posted..My cooking: Key lime pie bars with raspberry whipped cream.

8 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 28, 2012 at 11:14 am

There’s nothing quite like running on the beach! I hope I make it to the beach in Maine one of these weekends so I can do the same!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..June Yoga Challenge Recap and Giveaway!!

9 Dori June 28, 2012 at 11:27 am

That French Toast looks AMAZING! It’s one of my all-time favorite foods and I am actually really jealous of you right now. The running outfit is fantastic too, you look great. Have fun today!
Dori recently posted..iPhone 4S Siri Spoof – I Need Your Help!

10 Samantha Angela June 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

I like the top a lot. I’m always weary of sports tanks that have a built in bra. I’ve never found one with enough support.

11 Cait's Plate June 28, 2012 at 12:08 pm

your outfit is so cute and flattering!!

you definitely can’t beat a good beach run followed by a delicious breakfast! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..The Vanishing Hours

12 Annette @FitnessPerks June 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Gorgeous!! Enjoy the day with your family πŸ™‚

P.s. that top sounds perfect. Is it pretty long? I have a long torso, and I hate when shirts ride up….
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Gratitude Brings….

13 Julia June 28, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I think you mean it is a racerback top. A razorback is a type of wild pig!

However, that outfit looks really comfortable for a run. Also, as a fellow B cup, I’m glad to hear that Brooks makes tops designed to not require a bra underneath. Thanks for the info!

14 Meghann June 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

You’re right. Thank you for pointing it out, I just corrected the error. πŸ™‚

15 Molly June 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm

also you meant ‘wary’ instead of ‘weary.’ this is a frequent mistake for you. perhaps consult a dictionary?

16 Jamie in Arkansas June 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I like the top, but not to sure about those shorts. I’d have to get a darker color so they wouldn’t show sweat stains.

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I love overnight French toast … yum!! And your running outfit is definitely cute!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Rocking the Rock Wall.

18 Renee June 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I love your outfit! I’m in the market for some new shorts so I might have to check those out as an option.

And jealous of your beach run and your french toast. That pretty much sounds like a perfect day.
Renee recently posted..I’d rather eat junk food and take a nap.

19 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

what a gorgeous place to run! and that french toast looks bomb!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Veggie Fajitas in Quinoa Bowls! GF, V, BED!

20 erica June 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm

omg. french toast! one of my favorite breakfast foods!!!
erica recently posted..small goals

21 Army Amy* June 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I vacationed with my dad at Ft. Myers Beach last summer, and I got in some good longish runs there. It was hot as balls (that’s the scientific term, I believe), but you can’t beat beach views!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Happy Birthday, Hubby!

22 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Looks like a great morning run, and an even better breakfast! That french toast looks pretty incredible.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Throwback Thursday and Strawberry Peach Lemonade Smoothie

23 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

oh my gosh, the sky and water look gorgeous!! i want to be there stat!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

24 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm

That tank looks amazing–I may have to order one this afternoon! I’ll also have to check out those shorts–I’m pretty picky when it comes to shorts, and have found that I’m pretty much a Nike Tempo Short girl, but if you give these a decent review I may be willing to stray from my usual!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Fundraise Like Angels

25 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love the top! Did it really hold everything in place? I don’t have much to worry about but I don’t want the jiggle or the uni-boob look either.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..The Best Nut Butter Ever!

26 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions June 28, 2012 at 4:41 pm

There’s no better place to run than along water, in my opinion. I’m so glad Debby’s passed so you could have a beautiful run like that!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

27 Becky @ runfundone June 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

Aw! I hated when I lived in South Florida, but I do miss the Keys! Have fun!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Becky, the Master Swimmer!!!

28 Emily N June 29, 2012 at 3:36 pm