Blue Skies

by Meghann on June 27, 2012

It didn’t hit us until we were setting our alarms last night for our workout this morning, that neither my younger brother nor I had worked out since Friday. I think that’s a new record for both of us.

Friday I ran 3 miles with Maddie, then Saturday was wedding morning (and I was forbidden from sweating since I couldn’t wash my hair before having it done), Sunday was post-wedding morning (and..umm… the wine from the night before told me “no”), Monday was 6:00am travel morning, Tuesday was TS Debby morning, and – finally! – this morning was swim morning.

diptic_1340800033597.jpg

I wanted to run, but Ben wanted to swim. Swim works too. ;)

The island has a main pool with two 25 yd lanes – perfect! Ben and I got our swim in just after 7:00 and I coached him through one of the first XP Multisport workouts that came to mind.

• 300 warm-up
  • 300 medium
  • 6 x 50 hard w/ 10 secs rest
  • 200 medium
  • 4 x 50 hard w/ 10 secs rest
  • 100 medium
  • 2 x 50 hard w/ 10 secs rest
  • 100 cool down

I didn’t have a watch, so we just went by feeling. It was a great swim.

We were greeted with a breakfast buffet of pancakes, fresh berries, and yogurt when we returned from the pool.

I had one of the blueberry pancakes (my dad made a special “mega one” just for me) with vanilla Chobani, blueberries, strawberries, and granola.

The clouds moved in right before breakfast and the rain came with it. It’s a good thing we brought a lot of games on this vacation. So far we’ve gone through Apples to Apples (Monday night), Sequence (Tuesday afternoon), and Dutch Blitz this morning.

Ben kicked our butts. Le sigh.

Snack plate for lunch.

And guess what came out after lunch?!

Blue skies!!!!

Hellloooooo beach time!

IMG_5908.JPG IMG_5907.JPG

IMG_5911.JPG IMG_5912.JPG

I think the dogs are really enjoying this vacation. ;)

We soaked up a couple of hours in the sand and sun before heading back to the house to lounge by the pool.

I had an apple (+ mixed nuts) as a mid-afternoon snack.

IMG_5931.JPG IMG_5924.JPG

And tried a Dogfish Head Tweason’ale (thanks, Carolyn!)

IMG_5934.jpg IMG_5935.JPG

This was a strawberry and buckwheat honey ale. It was light, refreshing and perfect for poolside lounging. :)

Dinner was a joint effort.

Dad and Derek did the pork and carrots, Ben and I made the mashed sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, and Mom made the watermelon and pineapple salad.

Fresh-from-the-oven cookies for dessert.

IMG_5941.JPG IMG_5943.JPG

And now we’re playing more games. (Loaded Questions ;) )

We have a deck of cards too. Any other fun family game suggestions?

1 Army Amy* June 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Farkle is my favorite inside game. (I think some people call it 10,000.) You play it with dice so it is mindless and easy.*
Army Amy* recently posted..If It Makes You Happy

2 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 27, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I’m not very good at card games but Go Fish always works for me!

Glad you had some blue skies. The beach looks beautiful!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..The Best Nut Butter Ever!

3 Carolyn June 27, 2012 at 9:41 pm

How funny. I did not expect to see the strawberry beer making a cameo on this blog post! Have fun on vacation!

4 Meghann June 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

I figured they fit the beach theme. :) Thanks, again. I’ll have to repay the beer-favor in a few months. ;)

5 Cait's Plate June 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Soooo jealous! Glad you guys are having fun!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pizza, PIzza

6 Ash Bear June 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm

My family is not a card/game family at all! But, I still love nothing more than a good game of Trivial Pursuit or charades. :)
Ash Bear recently posted..Stop Comparing Yourself to Others

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm

That pancake looks amazing! Looks like a great trip so far – have fun.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Evening Snacks

8 Haley June 27, 2012 at 11:27 pm

We always have Hearts tournaments. We’re card junkies on our family beach vacays and we are all veeeeeery competitive. For those who become sore losers, we keep 1000-piece puzzles always working on a table (a high table, nonetheless, to keep little kiddos off it!), and usually have Scrabble out ;). We play games until the wee hours of the morning, all sleep in, eat until we can’t anymore, then go lounge our full, lazy ba-donk-a-donks on the beach until dinner time…pure bliss!

9 Sarah @RunningChickago.com June 28, 2012 at 2:26 am

my extended family played spoons together a few years ago, and everyone – young and old- got involved. so much fun. now we always play games at family parties!
Sarah @RunningChickago.com recently posted..Spain Part 1: Madrid

10 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 28, 2012 at 5:58 am

I’m so glad the sun came out! I hope it stays that way!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..A Delicious WIAW

11 CampingGirl June 28, 2012 at 6:03 am

Celebrities is an easy one that doesn’t require anything but paper and a pen.
CampingGirl recently posted..The Last Week!

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 28, 2012 at 6:25 am

Love all of the game playing you guys are doing!! Apples to Apples is a favorite of mine. I also love Taboo. It always brings a few laughs! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Rocking the Rock Wall.

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 28, 2012 at 7:31 am

I’m glad you were able to enjoy the sun! I’ve never seen that Dogfish Head beer! I am definitely going to have to look for it. I enjoy playing Uno! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..When Feeling Overwhelmed…

14 Emily N June 28, 2012 at 7:46 am

Ooo, that beer looks pretty awesome. Adding it to my “to try” list for sure!
Emily N recently posted..I Lack Motivation + I’m sick

15 Amanda June 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

We rocked Monopoly on our last vacation.
Amanda recently posted..The Slayer

16 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

We love playing Apples to Apples, but you’ve covered that! It is always fun to play good old college drinking games with the game too :)

Glad the weather has cleared up for you! Enjoy the sunshine!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..A Tale of Two Homes

17 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love apples to apples. It’s such a fun game.

I really like gin rummy or euchre (4 person card game). They’re both really fun!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Busy Bee

18 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 28, 2012 at 9:55 am

Yay for blue skies…finally! Looks like you’re all enjoying your vacation! :)
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..Thursday Weigh In

19 Michele Williams June 28, 2012 at 11:40 am

Looks like a great vacation! Farkle is a fun dice game, you can find instructions online anywhere!

20 amyt June 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

We are a card playing family – it was always Spades or rummy. BUT we started hanging with some friends and started playing SPOONS!!! Fun stuff, but it can get dangerous!!!
amyt recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Wraps

21 Kalee June 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm

It looks so pretty there!! Have ya’ll tried Catch Phrase? It’s one of our favorites!!
Kalee recently posted..Whey Protein Shakes- “Living the Natural Whey” Tastes Great!