The Morning After

by Meghann on June 26, 2012

The good news is everything was perfect weather-wise for Kelly’s wedding on Saturday. The boys had enough sun to golf in the morning, Kelly got the outdoor wedding ceremony of her dreams, and not a single umbrella was needed for photos (though we did stock up “just in case”).

The bad news is, the weather gods can only work their powers for so long. They waited until the final wedding guest found their way home to the hotel and then – BAM! – they didn’t just let it rain, they let it pour.

Hello, Tropical Storm Debby (aka Debby Downer)

Screen shot 2012-06-26 at 12.15.16 PM.png

And while we were playing clean-up in Port Orange on Sunday, THIS was happening in Tampa.

(source: http://www.foodandfunontherun.com/)

That, my friends, is Bayshore Blvd. It’s one of my favorite roads to run on in Tampa and where one of my favorite races (Gasparilla) takes place every February. It’s currently under a couple of feet of water and has thrown the whole city for a loop. Bayshore isn’t the only street that has flooded, but it’s probably the worst of the bunch. TS Debby has packed quite a punch on the west coast of Florida. Rain, rain, and nothing, but rain. Ugh.

I’m not sure it got quite as bad on the east coast, but it did rain and that rain seemed to follow and torment us from that point forward.

Saturday night the whole gang stayed at the official wedding hotel and on Sunday morning we started the day with the hotel’s free breakfast.

Oatmeal and eggs, my new favorite hangover food.

The newlyweds eventually joined us. We swapped stories from the night before and went through the 700+ (!)photos that found their way on my camera the day before.

family.jpg

I <3 my family. :)

Then we headed over for clean-up duty at the country club.

Cleaning up isn’t nearly as much fun as decorating, but it did go quicker.

And – BONUS!!! – there was leftover wedding cake!

I didn’t get a piece of the main cake the night before (I had a slice of carrot cake instead), so I missed out on how incredible this cake was. Fluffy vanilla cake with rich buttercream icing – delicious!

Once everything was packed up, we had one final lunch at Red Robin before heading home.

I had the Southwest Chicken Salad, which was surprisingly tasty. This was my first time eating at a Red Robin – and I wasn’t expecting much – but I was pretty impressed. The food was fresh, tasty, and served hot.

After lunch we wished the newlyweds luck and sent them on their way. Last I heard they had landed safely in San Francisco sometime yesterday evening and were already enjoying their first vacation as husband and wife. :)

Derek and I were too tired to make the drive back to Tampa Sunday night, so we opted to stay at my parents and spent the afternoon napping and recovering.

Dinner was delivered at 7:00pm and came from a box.

You can never go wrong with pizza on a lazy, rainy day.

I’m not sure how, but Adena and I were somehow able to talk my brother, dad, and Derek into seeing Rock of Ages Sunday night. ;) I’m not sure they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into. I guess we forgot to mention it was a musical? Must have slipped our minds. Oops. ;)

Unfortunately, Rock of Ages was just okay. I’ve never seen the broadway show before, but Adena has and she told me the broadway version is much better. I think the movie was missing the energy that usually radiates from live performances. Oh, well. :)

After the movie we went home and crashed. We had an early wake-up call and a long day ahead of us for Monday. A day so long, that I’ll have to wait to recap that one until later. Let’s just say TS Debby has really lived up to her Downer Debby nickname. :/

1 Cait's Plate June 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Oh my gosh that is some crazy amount of water there!! Glad to know Rock of Ages is just okay…I was thinking about seeing it…now I’ve officially put it into the “Netflix movie” category for me!

2 Lindsey @ Sound Eats June 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I saw that same photo floating around on facebook – I know there’s still flooding in Tampa/ Bayshore (heck, there’s flooding here in Jacksonville!), but that photo is from 2004. :) Just FYI!

3 Sana June 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Yikes :(

4 Amanda June 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Gotta love hurricane season! I love Ben’s shirt in that one pic btw :)

5 Elisabeth June 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Can’t believe you haven’t eaten at a RR before! It’s a very popular staple around here (Toledo, OH area). I like the Ensenada Chicken Platter or a good old classic cheeseburger.

6 Lena @Fit on the Rocks June 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Send the rain over here! Colorado is literally burning up right now :(

7 Pamela | Girl Gone West June 26, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Oh my gosh, I know! It makes me so sad. I posted a photo of the smoke cloud above Boulder to my FB today – I can see it from my office. :( My poor state!

8 Brittany June 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

We got some rain in NYC but it was no where near as bad as Florida.

9 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm

At least Debby waited till after the wedding. But, wow, serious downer!

10 Annette @FitnessPerks June 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm

You have a great fam!! We have NO rain here. It’s DRY as all get out here in UT.

11 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles June 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I bet you’re getting so excited for your big day!

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I’m glad they were able to make it out on their flight alright with the weather!! And that cake looks AMAZING. I haven’t had cake since the gluten free cake my brother got me for my birthday… in October. Cake is literally my favorite food ever. I need to remedy this.

13 Angie June 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I wish we’d get a bit of rain here in Wisconsin. Obviously, not THAT much rain, but things here are pretty dry.

Rock of Ages was good. Not great, but I love the 80′s music and it was fun to hear so many great songs. The added bonus was that hubby and I went to a Sunday morning matinee and there was only one other couple there! We could talk and sing to our hearts content!

14 Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running June 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love weddings! Such special family bonding time. Wedding cake looked yum.. Even if it was the day after :)

15 Megan @ Megan's Munchies June 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Sorry about all the rain girl!!!

That wedding cake looks so yummy! Wish I had some now!

16 Sara@RunningInPinkProject June 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm

My husband is having to carry our corgi out to find her a place to potty without tons of standing water because shes so short. :( Sadly his condo complex is pretty much a mess. There were ducks swimming around in what should have been the parking lot this morning!

17 Krystle June 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Your dinner from a box looks yummy… Is that Kelseys greek salad?! I live in Titusville and looove Kelseys salads! The wedding looks beautiful, glad mother nature provided a nice day!

18 Emily N June 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I was seeing all that “Debby Downer” stuff on the today show and was wondering how you guys were fairing…

19 SkinnyRunner June 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm

hot dang i love red robin. their salads are killer.