K + A: The Reception

by Meghann on June 26, 2012

Kelly and Anthony immediately went from the ceremony to take photos with their photographer. They made sure to take all the family and bridal party photos before the ceremony so they could soak in the first 30 minutes or so as a married couple with just the two of them (and two photographers capturing every second of it, of course ;) ).

While they took photos, the rest of the wedding party headed to cocktail hour. We were all starving at this point, and the delicious arrangements of crackers, cheese, vegetables, and carved fruit never looked or tasted so good.

I also reunited with my own future hubby-to-be at this point. ;)

IMG_6115.jpg

Someone had asked in the comments of the previous post what Derek had been up to while we were doing “girl stuff” all day. Well, he spent the morning golfing with the groomsmen and dads (a free round of golf was included in the wedding package), took his time getting ready since he didn’t have to be onsite until later, and then played the role of videographer during the ceremony and reception. He also had to smile and nod as 50 family members told him “You’re next!” (I got the same thing! :) )

The cocktail hour was fun. I had a glass of red wine and played catch up with friends from high school and family members I hadn’t seen in a while. I <3 weddings!

Cocktail hour went too fast. Before we knew it Kelly and Anthony had returned from photos, the wedding guests were taking their seats, and the bridal party introductions had started.

IMG_6126.JPG IMG_6127.JPG

Kelly and Anthony planned a little surprise with each introduction. Along with the usual “please welcome bridesmaid so-and-so” they inserted fun facts.

For instance, there was a shout out to Stephanie’s “new finger painting classes,” Ben and Ashley’s “secret juggling skills,” and I bet you didn’t know I am a blogger by day and crime fighter by night. ;)

IMG_6135.JPG IMG_6136.JPG

Kelly and Anthony were introduced last and immediately shared their first dance.

Then it was time to eat!

But before I get to that, check out Kelly and Anthony’s table number system.

Instead of the traditional numbers, they used family dogs! We were seated at the Oliver table and my parents were seated at the Scooby table.

There was also a Maddie table, a Presley table, an Abbie table (in loving memory), and so on and so on. The dog name tables were a HUGE hit and it was a fun game to connect the dog to the person the dog belonged to (they used family dogs from both sides of the family) and a great tribute to dogs who are no longer with us (Abbie was one of several in-loving-memory-of tables).

They did a beautiful job with the center pieces. My brother, dad, and uncles sanded, stained, and branded each slice of wood, and we helped my aunt finish the flower arrangements the day before.

Each place setting had a dark-chocolate oreo favor with a thank you note from the bride and groom.

IMG_6157.JPG IMG_6183.JPG

The dinner was amazing. I heard person after person go on and on about how much they enjoyed the food.

We started with a fruit and arugula salad.

And had a bacon stuffed chicken dish for the main course.

Kelly wanted me to take a photo of her stuffed mushroom vegetarian dish. She loved it and requested the rest of the large serving be boxed up and taken to the honeymoon suite for her and Anthony.

After I finished eating I made sure to sign the guestbook “M”

And then it was time for speeches. By this point I had about two glasses of wine in me and was feeling pretty good. The best man (Anthony’s younger brother, Andrew) went first. He took the comedic route and made everyone laugh. It was a tough act to follow!

I was up next. My plan was to just use the written speech as notes and ad lib a bit, but I was so nervous that I ended up reading the speech straight and didn’t glance up as much as I should have.

My speech started with the story of Kelly and Anthony’s first kiss and covered the rest of their journey that led them from that first kiss to their wedding day. I tried to go the funny route, but definitely got some crickets where there should have been laughs. Oh, well. The good news is I didn’t cry. However, I did tear up during Anthony’s speech that immediately followed.

575424_636601295809_1471553070_n.jpeg

That boy sure does love my sister. ;)

My dad ended the streak of speeches with the traditional “Brother Jack” toast.

The bottle didn’t last long at all. Next time we need a handle. ;)

Then the father/daughter dance (more tears).

The mother/son dance (no photo).

And – finally! – it was time to PARTY!

And, party, we did. ;)

IMG_6242.JPG IMG_6243.JPG

With a quick break for cake.

IMG_6300.jpg IMG_6301.jpg

The bouquet toss.

And the garter belt.

IMG_6339.JPG IMG_6340.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG IMG_6355.JPG

165971_636601819759_1503868120_n.jpeg

The night flew too quickly. We ended with the (now traditional) group hug dance where we all surrounded the happy couple for one last time.

And that was it. Kelly and Anthony were off. My sister was no longer just a bride – she was a wife, and Anthony was her husband. They were one and I couldn’t be happier for them.

Congrats, Kelly and Anthony!!!!!!

I love you guys! The best sister and brother-in-law a girl could ask for. :)

1 Jamie @ StudioEats June 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

Looks like an incredible wedding! I’m sure your speech was great :) Was also wondering where Derek was but glad to see he was there lookin’ sharp!
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..On Travel: Headed to Greece & Turkey

2 Courtney June 26, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oh my gosh, this post made me so happy! What a wonderful wedding; I especially love the dog name tables and the different flavors of cake so everyone can indulge in something they like! You all look beautiful, and congrats to the happy couple! :D :D
Courtney recently posted..Simple Sugar Cookies

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 26, 2012 at 10:45 am

It looks like a beautiful wedding, and a lot of fun! Congrats to both of them, I hope they’re enjoying their honeymoon now!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..A Great Weekend

4 Meghan @ Run With Meg June 26, 2012 at 10:45 am

LOVE the dog table names! What a great idea

5 Elisabeth June 26, 2012 at 10:45 am

And now I’m already dreading my MOH speech for my best friend’s wedding next July… ;)

6 Lena @Fit on the Rocks June 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

Your sister made such a beautiful bride! It looked like such a fun reception, and the dog-name tables is so unique and personal. Love it!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Takeaways: Fitness & Health Bloggers Conference 2012

7 Shanna, like Banana June 26, 2012 at 10:48 am

Ahhh what a beautiful wedding! Looks like a blast!

I had to comment because I love the animal placecards. I did that for my wedding a few years ago — we did dogs and cats from all our immediate family. Also a big hit with the guests ;)
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Since I last wrote…

8 Army Amy* June 26, 2012 at 11:00 am

I love that last picture with all the sibs and their significant others. Everyone looks so happy!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Waxpectations

9 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty June 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

Oh my gosh I teared up while reading this post…I too, LOVE weddings. It looks like you had a blast!

10 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

that looks so fun! i love the “dog table” idea! so clever — and the cake is gorgeous! wow
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Hasselback Red Potatoes & Breaking News!

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

Thanks for sharing the entire wedding with us! It was beautiful!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Odds & Ends

12 Amanda June 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

Beautiful wedding and family! Every time I read a post regarding your family and traditions, just anything, it makes me literally so happy. I hope that my Husband and I can have the kind of family you all have with the love and friendship with our children.

Big Congrats to your sister and I hope she eventually comes back to blogging, I miss reading her posts!
Amanda recently posted..There and back again…

13 SaraB June 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

Thank you so much for sharing your sister’s special day with us. She looked stunning and it is so easy to tell how happy and in love they are. What a wonderful wedding. The picture of you and Derek dancing is a classic, you can tell you guys were having a great time!

I LOVE those centerpieces! Such an awesome and original idea.

14 kirsten June 26, 2012 at 11:30 am

Congrats to Kelly and Anthony. It looks like such a beautiful wedding! I love all of the decorations, you guys did a great job with the flowers! :)

15 Jen June 26, 2012 at 11:33 am

Aw, it’s so nice to read this wedding recap! I used to read Kelly’s blog, so it’s fun to get to see her married. And it made me teary-eyed! What can I say, I love weddings (and babies).
Jen recently posted..Can You Choose to be Happy?

16 Annette @FitnessPerks June 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

What a great wedding!! It looks like it was a blast too :) Happy for them!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Tips For Fitness and Health Bloggers #FHBC12 + The Simply Bar

17 Sarah @RunningChickago.com June 26, 2012 at 11:46 am

this looks like a great time :) can’t wait to see pictures from your wedding!
Sarah @RunningChickago.com recently posted..Hola!

18 Amber June 26, 2012 at 11:53 am

What a gorgeous wedding! I followed along with Kelly on Twitter as she did some of the planning and it really turned out amazing. So happy for her!
Amber recently posted..2 weeks to go!

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for sharing your memories with us!! Looks like a very special day. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..How about them (cider) apples?

20 Anne June 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Awesome!!! What was your necklace of? It’s hard to see in the photos.

21 Reenie June 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Congrats again to Kelly & Anthony. A beautiful wedding….beautiful family.

Love the pic of you and Derek….. and the one of you 2 dancing ~ cracked me up!! :)

22 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions June 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Bahhhh all your posts on the wedding have been absolutely beautiful! It looks like it was a wonderful day :) Congrats to Kelly and Anthony!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Moving On, Moving Out

23 Cait's Plate June 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

You and Derek look so cute :)

Love the dog pictures as the table markers – such a cute idea!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Fruitfull

24 Emily N June 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Congrats (again) to your sister!
Emily N recently posted..My Sister is a Missus! :)

25 Katie D. June 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I love seeing your twin brother and his girlfriend in the photos! I sort of “miss them” since they don’t live close like your other siblings.

26 Meghann June 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

We miss them too!

27 Jessie June 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’m pretty sure the bridesmaid dress you’re wearing is the same one I’m wearing for a November wedding except in dark blue! Super flattering and way better than most bridesmaid dresses I’ve had to buy in the past ;)

Congratulations to your sister – she looks radiant!
Jessie recently posted..2012 San Francisco Trip – Day 1

28 Meghann June 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

The dress was super flattering on all of the bridesmaids and super comfortable. Kelly picked well (as did your bride!)

29 Grace June 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

What a wonderful reception! Every time I see wedding post I think about the fact that when I get married I want there to be good food and for everyone to have lots of fun and Kelly & Anthony’s wedding definitely looks like it did both of those things!
Grace recently posted..Blog Refurb.

30 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Looks like such a fun reception! Congrats to your sister!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola

31 CampingGirl June 26, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I love the dog pics! What a great personal touch!
We had some of our photo’s before the wedding too and it really helped to kill the nerves before stepping in front of everyone.
CampingGirl recently posted..Park Bag

32 Jules @JogonJules June 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm

What a beautiful wedding. Everything looks so amazing. Also there is obviously so much love in your whole family, it is so wonderful to see. I am so looking forward to reading all about your wedding too :)
Jules @JogonJules recently posted..Sitting Comfortably? Then I shall begin

33 Laura June 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm

looks like a super fun wedding! what was their first song?

34 Cate June 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I loved reading all the recaps! What a great few days with your family. Congratulations to Kelly and Anthony – it looked like a great wedding all around! :)
Cate recently posted..Food, Food, Food!

35 BroccoliHut June 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Looks like a fantastic party!! I love how close your family seems :) Wishing all the best to Kelly + Anthony!

PS I know what you mean about the “you’re next” conversations. I’ve been to several weddings over the past few months, and everyone seems to say the same thing to Seth and me.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Running Gear: the New Essentials

36 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 26, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Yay! Congratulations to them!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Bachelorette on the Loose

37 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

awesome posts! i love wedding reports – sorta like race reports, but less speed and more love! you sis looked gorgeous and so happy! congrats k & a!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Spotlight on Street Photography Blogs

38 Mandi @ Miles and Mascara June 27, 2012 at 9:14 pm

That wedding looks like it was so much fun! Everyone looked fabulous! And your sister’s dress is amazing. :)
Mandi @ Miles and Mascara recently posted..Liquid Sunshine and FWP