Debby Downer

by Meghann on June 26, 2012

My mom had a plan. She took two weeks off of work for her daughter’s wedding – one week before to help prep and one week after to relax. She rented a beach house on her favorite island off of the west coast of Florida and invited the rest of her kids to join her. Somehow the stars aligned and every kid plus their significant others (including the ones in residency in California) were able to get the time off to vacation together (well, not the one leaving on her honeymoon). It was a rare occasion that needed to be celebrated.

Then Debby Downer struck and threw everyone for a loop.

Tropical-Storm-Debby-500x281.jpg

(source)

Darn you, Debby!

When we went to bed Sunday night, we basically crossed our fingers that Debby would sorta disappear. We had 8 people and 2 dogs who were ready for a week at the beach. Rain or not, we were heading over there.

When we woke up early Monday morning (6:00am to be exact), Debby was still there. Luckily the boats were still running delay free to our little island, so we loaded the cars and decided to chance it.

I had a yogurt with blueberries and a piece of scone and muffin before hitting the road.

The drive to the west coast was rainy, but not terrible – I’ve driven though worst. Once we got to the coast we stocked up with enough groceries to feed 8 people for a week (aka a LOT of food). And, since we were running early, we stopped for lunch to kill time.

We needed a place with outdoor seating to fit these two little furballs’ needs.

IMG_5764.jpg IMG_5761.JPG

And this place fit the bill.

I wanted the chili, but they were out (apparently everyone else was craving the rainy day meal, too). In place of the chili, I ordered the quiche with fruit salad.

It tasted great, but the portion was tiny. I ended up having a 1/4 of my sister-in-law’s club sandwich, as well.

We were still doing great on time after lunch and decided to head to the boat site a little early to see if we could catch and earlier boat. Up until then we were getting updates that all boats were running on time and we should have no problem getting on the island today.

Wrong.

Debby Downer had caught up to us.

Just as we pulled up, the coast guard called to shut the ferry service down. Nooooo…. We tried to sweet talk our way into one last ride, but no-dice – the waves were rough, the winds were high, and carting residents back and forth to the private island was deemed unsafe. Dratz. So close, yet so far.

We were told they were done for the day and were given a few options of where to stay for the evening. This is where it got complicated. We had 8 people, 2 dogs, and 3 cars full of groceries that were desperately in need of a fridge (we had the food in coolers and insulated bags, but that wasn’t going to make it through the night), finding somewhere to stay was NOT going to be easy.

We tried a few different places, but everything was closed or booked. Eventually (3 hours later!) we did find two little cottages next to a dock that were available. I think at that point we would have slept anywhere. We’d been in our cars since 6:00am, had just been told our vacation was being postponed, and there was a tropical storm happening outside – we were done.

(I’m sure the dock has seen better days)

We moved all the food to the two fridges and decided we had most definitely earned wine time.

Or – in my case – beer time.

And pizza time. We’d earned that too.

Fresh from the oven.

My slice had summer squash, peppers, mushrooms, and fresh mango.

We also broke into the left over wedding cake for dessert.

It wasn’t all bad. The important thing was we were together. We had food, games, and each other. Poo poo on you, Debby downer.

P.S. Apples to Apple ROCKS. A new family favorite. ;)

We had our alarms set once again for 6:00am for Tuesday morning in hopes of making it on the first boat off of the dock. Wrong, again.

But I’ll wait on that story. I need to sleep!

Good night!

1 Sana June 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm

apples to apples is super fun!!
Sana recently posted..Pomegranate Mint Soda {RECIPE}

2 Shannon June 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Debby has been crummy. Sucks you had to altar your plans. At least you were all together and made the best of it!
Shannon recently posted..There’s a first time for everything

3 Elisabeth June 26, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Some vacation….

4 Caroline June 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I’m on vacation on the west coast of Florida too. MAJOR BUMMER. Luckily I still have a week, and debby has moved north of me. We’re still getting nasty wind here and can’t get into the ocean. I hope it clears up for you all soon and you get to enjoy some sunshine together!

5 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 26, 2012 at 11:40 pm

aw…debbie downer indeed! but i’m glad you all are safe and together! apples to apples is so fun!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Broccoli & Kale Pesto Pasta! GF, V, BED!

6 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 27, 2012 at 12:16 am

Yeeeepppp. Feeling it up here in Jax, too. The beaches area is pretty much flooded completely – I’m sure people will be kayaking/jetskiing in it tomorrow morning if it’s still there… And we still have two more days, at least, of the rainnnn! Oh yay.

I love Apples to Apples =]
Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep recently posted..Florida is the best place to live when your AC breaks…

7 Becky @ runfundone June 27, 2012 at 12:31 am

Way to show Debby Downer who’s boss!

We got married in the Florida Keys last year…and Hurricane Irene was heading towards us! We didn’t have a back-up location, and our friends/family were all flying into Florida! It was scary, but it ended up going north and we got married on a beautiful beach sans hurricane!

Hurricanes stink!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..We Took the Plunge!

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 27, 2012 at 7:56 am

Aw! I’m sorry about the weather! At least you are able to spend time with the ones you love and that is the most important thing :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Alice In Wonderland Themed Work Bridal Shower!…

9 Amanda June 27, 2012 at 8:00 am

I’ve heard Apples to Apples is pretty hilarious after you’ve had a couple of drinks ;P
Amanda recently posted..I am an adult

10 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 27, 2012 at 8:02 am

Rainy vacations are horrible – and Debby is moving SO slow! I hope you get a little bit of sunshine since you are all together!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..WIAW Insanity

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 27, 2012 at 8:02 am

oh no!!! Ahhh I hope you make it out there! What a bummer, Debby!!!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..A Delicious WIAW

12 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes June 27, 2012 at 8:27 am

I love Apples to Apples! I’m not a big gamer, but it’s my favorite!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..What a Bummer

13 Samantha Angela June 27, 2012 at 8:30 am

I definitely don’t get the appeal of Apples to Apples. Seriously. It’s too subjective of a game that it’s frustrating.

14 Meghann June 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

I think that’s what makes it funny. It’s better to play with people you know really well so you can pick cards that match your audience.

15 Samantha Angela June 27, 2012 at 9:08 am

Makes sense. Maybe because the only times I’ve played it were at parties that I didn’t really know everyone. But still, I think I prefer games that have a definite right or wrong answer.

16 cristin June 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

who is that other dog? such a cutie!

17 Meghann June 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

That’s my little brother’s dog, Presley. He’s a miniature schnauzer

18 cristin June 27, 2012 at 9:17 am

that was going to be my guess. adorable! hope you guys make it to the island.

19 Cait's Plate June 27, 2012 at 9:31 am

Ugh – that is a Debby Downer!! Glad you guys are making the best of it though. And I LOVE Apples to Apples!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Getting Giddy

20 Courtney June 27, 2012 at 10:25 am

Oh no! At least you have a nice place to stay for now with your family, and that’s all that matters! :)
Courtney recently posted..Those Same Colors I Always Wear

21 Heather June 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

LOVE apples to apples, we always end up laughing hysterically!