K + A: The Ceremony

by Meghann on June 25, 2012

When I asked Kelly the day after her wedding what her favorite part of the day was, she said without a doubt it was the first look she and Anthony shared before the ceremony. It was a private moment shared between the two of them and their two photographers who captured the moment beautifully.

KellyAnthonyFirstLook.jpeg

I’ll admit a few of the bridesmaids and I did look on from afar at their big moment, and there wasn’t a dry eye among the group of us. We watched Anthony wait with his back turned as Kelly snuck up behind him. The two of them then stood back-to-back and held hands until (I’m assuming) the photographer counted to three and they turned around to face each other. Even from a distance, it was hard to miss the tears and emotions of love and happiness that erupted between the two of them.

KellyAnthony0005.jpeg

For more first look photos check out Andrea Hubbell Photography (and try not to tear up).

The first look was exactly what Kelly and Anthony had planned and more. Moments before both of them were huge balls of nerves, but when Kelly and Anthony returned to the group a little while later, they were both visibly calmer and at peace with the moment. They were now ready to be married. ;)

525924_636599609189_1726490888_n.jpeg

Once Kelly and Anthony returned to the group – and hugs were shared all around – we all headed to the golf course for the group shots (Kelly wanted to do all the group shots before the ceremony and saved the shots of just her and Anthony for right after).

323259_636408991189_672907651_o.jpeg

Then it was time to lock our bride back up as guests started to arrive.

394621_636600048309_239319279_n.jpeg

The country club had a private bridal suite for us to wait in. They provided pretzels and chips for us to munch on, which was great since we were all pretty hungry at this point. We did all wish we had some sort of shot to take too, but water worked just as well.

There was a minor blip when the button for Kelly’s bustle on her dress snapped off, but luckily we had the seamstress on premise to help her out.

IMG_6025.JPG IMG_6026.jpg

Good as new! :)

IMG_6020.jpg

We really lucked out with weather. The forecast called for nothing but rain all day and clouds threatened all day to burst at any moment. The plan was to call whether the ceremony would take place outside or inside at 4:30. When we arrived at 4:30 and it still wasn’t raining, our uncles started moving the arch and lanterns outside with their fingers crossed they wouldn’t have to move them back in.

At 5 minutes til 6:00, Sammie (the onsite wedding coordinator) told us there was a light drizzle, and if we wanted this ceremony outside we better start now. I’d never seen a bride move so fast – probably the only wedding in history to start 5 minutes EARLY. ;)

IMG_6046.JPG IMG_6047.JPG

Luckily, just as the groomsmen started to file in, the drizzle stopped and it didn’t rain again until after midnight. Kelly’s wish for an outside ceremony was granted. :)

The bridesmaids began their walk with “Better Together” by Jack Johnson

IMG_6053.JPG IMG_6054.JPG IMG_6055.JPG IMG_6056.JPG

Then everyone rose from their seats and Kelly and my Dad began their journey down the aisle to “Angel” by Jack Johnson.

This is when the tears really began to flow for me. My sister looked so gorgeous and my dad looked so proud of his daughter, all these childhood memories of playing “bride” dress-up just snuck up on me and I kept thinking “This is it. There’s no playing dress-up now.” and it just hit me that my sister was about to be a wife. My little sister was really getting married!

It didn’t help when I looked over and saw Anthony’s eyes fill with tears, as well. The love the two of them share between each other is unmistakeable. My sister has found her other half, and Anthony found his – they really do complete each other.

Kelly and Anthony’s ceremony wasn’t “perfect” in the everything-went-exactly-as-planned sense – the officiant (Anthony’s cousin Tim) forgot to tell everyone to be seated, the microphone fell off its stand more than once, they did the wine box ceremony too quickly, and I kept forgetting to fluff the dress when she turned (okay, I’ll admit that one was all on me) – but the two of them didn’t care. They laughed through each of the blips and never took their eyes off of each other.

In fact, I never heard either of them mention one thing that went wrong. Instead I’ve heard them say how funny their officiant was, how I was a sobbing mess (I had some serious ugly cry going on), how beautiful everything looked, and how they couldn’t take their eyes off of each other. It was THEIR ceremony and they wouldn’t change a thing about it.

IMG_2281.jpg

Kelly and Anthony wanted to do something symbolic during their ceremony. I know Kelly researched for months trying to find something that represented them as a couple. She eventually discovered some information on a unity wine box dedication and was sold.

During the ceremony the two of them sealed a bottle of wine and two love letters to each other in a wine box. On their first anniversary they’ll open the box, drink the wine, and read the letters to each other to remember how much they loved each other on their wedding day.

IMG_6079.JPG IMG_6080.JPG

After the wine box dedication, they exchanged vows they had written for each other, and then placed the rings on each other’s fingers.

Then, with the seal of a kiss, they were pronounced husband and wife!

And the crowd erupted.

IMG_6090.JPG IMG_6091.JPG

The new Mr. and Mrs.!!!

Yay!!!!

I’ll be back with the reception. ;)

K+A: The Rehearsal

K+A: Getting Ready

1 Annette @FitnessPerks June 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm

She does look SOOOO pretty!!! Love it <3 (ANd what a great idea to capture the moment of seeing each other. Very cool!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..How To Enjoy A Rest Day

2 Hillary June 25, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Stunning. Absolutely stunning!
Hillary recently posted..PB&J Thumbprints

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 25, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Oh gosh, I’m tearing up while reading this on the bus! I hope I have a relationship like theirs one day!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Good Things Come in Three

4 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy June 25, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I loved all your recaps of the wedding events Meghann!
Lauren @ Sassy Molassy recently posted..Blur of a Weekend

5 Army Amy* June 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Aww! It looks like a beautiful ceremony! I remember my officiant telling me before the ceremony that he likes to see how long he can keep the audience standing before he says, “Be seated.” During the ceremony, I was laughing to myself waiting for him to say it! He didn’t wait that long, but it put my nerves at bay thinking about it.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Streaking: Week 4

6 Sarah June 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Oh my gosh! Your sister is a gorgeous bride! Her eye makeup looks fabulous. Love that the groom teared up a bit too!

ps I’m pretty sure you did not mean to say their love is “unremarkable”…?

7 Sara@RunningInPinkProject June 25, 2012 at 6:56 pm

What a beautiful beautiful dress your sister is wearing (and great re-cap)!! Also, I have never heard the wine/letters in a box idea. That is so sweet and such a cool idea!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Sandwich Sunday (A Restaurant Swap)

8 Amber June 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Kelly looked SO BEAUTIFUL. Wow! I love the wine box idea, that is so cool. I wish I would have thought of something like that for my wedding in 2 weeks :)
Amber recently posted..2 weeks to go!

9 Andrea June 25, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Everything your sister did was gorgeous, if you have time I would love to know how you all did the bouquets/flowers. I’m hoping to DIY the flowers for my wedding next June and have no idea how to start! Thanks

10 Meghann June 26, 2012 at 10:19 am

I wish I had more information to share, but it was really all my aunt. I wonder if I can get her to do a guest post? I know I’ll be sharing more information about the process as I go through the steps for my own wedding this coming January. :)

11 Alaina June 25, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Kelly looks gorgeous!!! I got teary eyed just reading this post.
Alaina recently posted..You’ve Got Mail

12 Erin June 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm

maybe I missed it, but where’s Derek in all the hubbub?

13 Julie @ There and Back Again June 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm

What a beautiful day – congrats to your sister and the rest of the family!! My friend got married last month and the same button on her dress popped off on the dance floor during the reception! I had to do some serious maid of honor improvising… weddings are always time to expect the unexpected :)
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Hopping Down Memory Lane

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Aww I love that they didn’t care about the mistakes, and just focused on the real reason for the day!! Some people get too wrapped up in making sure everything is “perfect!”
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..How about them (cider) apples?

15 Erica June 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Her dress is PERFECT for her! She looked absolutely incredible. I love love your hair too. What a fabulous and beautiful family you have. Yayy
Erica recently posted..What’s Cooking?

16 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Beautiful! I’m teary eyed, too!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..She’s Going the Distance

17 Holly @ Balanced in BMore June 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

The pictures are so good and show just how much love was present. :) I love the wine box idea! Pinterest by chance?

18 Debby June 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Am I the only one that first thought “boxed wine?, WHAT?” at the first mention? LOL! I LOVED her hair. It looked fabulous and her makeup and dress were beautiful as well! So glad it didn’t rain!

19 Cait's Plate June 25, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Such a beautiful wedding. And a beautiful bride! Love the bridesmaid dresses too!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..That is Fresh

20 MrsSwan June 25, 2012 at 10:01 pm

to late i teared up LOVE the pictures!!!
MrsSwan recently posted..Kittens update 2

21 Jess-ThatJessGal June 25, 2012 at 11:43 pm

A-Kelly looks amazing.
B-That “funny officiant” is my adopted “big brother!” (and the groom’s cousin, but of course you already knew that.) He’s really making the wedding rounds this summer.
Jess-ThatJessGal recently posted..Summer B or Plan B

22 A June 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I agree…..the post should have mentioned that the “officiant” was Anthony’s cousin (kind of a big detail of the wedding). And he did a FABULOUS job for this being only the second wedding he’s ever done….he read from a script that Kelly and Anthony prepared. “Please be seated” was not in the script!

23 Meghann June 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I agree that Tim (Anthony’s cousin) did do a fabulous job. I’ve known Tim for years and he is full of personality and that personality really did shine through the ceremony. He added his own touches that I heard Kelly compliment and thank him for adding later on. And I know that “Please be seated” was left off the script that Kelly and Anthony had written, but it was still amusing that everyone remained standing until it occurred to him that it had been forgotten. The point of sharing the “please be seated” story up above was to let people know that things are going to happen at your wedding, not to single Tim out. My point was lines are going to be forgotten and people are going to trip or stumble during the ceremony, but that’s ok, because at the end of the day none of those things matter – the fact that you get to spend the rest of your life with the one you love is all that matters. :)

24 Reenie June 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Loved loved loved the first look photos (from the photographer)….and you’re right ~ you can’t help but to tear up. Kelly looks so pretty. Beautiful.

25 Grace June 25, 2012 at 11:47 pm

So beautiful! And yay for the weather holding up!

26 Reenie June 25, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Oh….and you guys did a fabulous job on the flowers.

27 Kat June 26, 2012 at 1:18 am

Quick tip…”The first look her and Anthony shared” should be “she and Anthony”. Easy way to figure it out is to drop the second person from the sentence. “The first look her shared” wouldn’t make sense, but “the first look she shared” does. You make this mistake all the time, just thought you might want to know!

28 Grace @ Grace Dishes June 26, 2012 at 4:14 am

Congratulations to your sister! It looked like a lovely wedding and so happy the weather stayed dry for you guys.

Love the bridesmaid dress choice! Your sister is simply glowing. Can’t wait to see the following post!

29 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 26, 2012 at 7:54 am

Everyone looked stunning!! :) The ceremony was beautiful! Congrats to your sister again! Can’t wait to see pictures from the reception!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Live In Each Moment…

30 Samantha Angela June 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

What a beautiful wedding!!

31 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian June 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

I am definitely traditional when it comes to weddings, but I’m starting to love the first look idea more and more. I know it breaks tradition, but it’s so special to have the private moment together before the wedding. Kelly looks amazing!!
Sarah @Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Quick n’ Dirty Plyo Circuit

32 Megan June 26, 2012 at 9:29 am

I LOVE the last pic before you got into the wine box description. It’s so cool how your parents are in the foreground, while Kelly and Anthony are holding hands & looking at each other. What a creative way to capture the two generations in one shot!

Congrats to the newlyweds!!

33 Kelly June 26, 2012 at 10:19 am

What a beautiful ceremony!! I’ve never heard of that wine box idea before, but its a good one! Kudos to Kelly for doing her research to find something unique!
Kelly recently posted..Two Whole Years

34 Xiomara @ parkesdale June 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

Awww. I’m holding back the tears while I type this. What a wonderful ceremony. I love the idea of the wine box. Finding those letters next year is going to be such a treat. Congratulations to the happy couple!
Xiomara @ parkesdale recently posted..Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta

35 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm

She had such a pretty ceremony! I’m tearing up just thinking of how my own wedding will be in 2 1/2 weeks!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Bachelorette on the Loose