more ยป" />

Wedding: Brother Jack

by Meghann on June 22, 2012

Weddings are all about traditions. There’s the tradition of wearing white, fathers walking their daughters down the aisle, the customary first dance as husband and wife, tossing the bouquet, and so on and so on and so on.

And then, in my family’s case, there’s the tradition of “Brother Jack.”

Brother JAck.jpg

Yes, we refer to Jack Daniels as “Brother Jack.” By dad is from a family of 7 boys and Jack Daniels was dubbed the 8th brother or “Brother Jack.” So, we’re a little bit country – I have no shame. ๐Ÿ˜‰

102_2977.JPG

The tradition began 13 years ago (I think?) at my cousin Jenny’s wedding. My Uncle Bob brought my Uncle Scott (the father of the bride) up on the stage and presented him with a bottle of Jack Daniels. He gave a big speech referring to weddings, new family, and other things I can barely remember (I was only 14 at the time), then handed the bottle over. My Uncle Scott took the full bottle of Jack Daniels from my Uncle Bob and – with a huge grin – ceremoniously removed the cap and tossed it across the room. He then proclaimed “we won’t be needing that again tonight!” and table hopped for the next hour or so as almost everyone at the wedding took a swig from the bottle. When there were just a couple of shots left, my Uncle Scott finished the bottle shot-by-shot with his daughter’s new father-in-law. It was an awesome memory, that we all still refer to to this day.

After that, the tradition stuck. Every time one of my cousin’s got married (and I have a lot of them) one of my uncles would present a bottle of Jack Daniels (“Brother Jack”) to the father-of-the-bride (whether he be a brother or a new in-law) and then said bottle’s cap would be ceremoniously tossed across the room and the bottle would be passed around as everyone took swigs and toasted the newlyweds.

Screen shot 2012-06-20 at 11.04.11 AM.png

Say what you wish about the tradition, but it’s our family’s tradition and I couldn’t imagine an Anderson wedding without it. I guess when someone marries into our family, they better know upfront what they’re getting themselves into. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We have had minor hiccups in the past when it came to our family tradition – hiccups that we’ve all learned from – which is why when my siblings and I were all venue shopping we each discussed the “Brother Jack” tradition up front (some sites have rules about bringing outside liquor in, which Brother Jack is unless you buy the bottle from the bar, something we’ve had to do at certain weddings). Luckily, my venue site is really great with their liquor policy and I’m allowed to bring my own liquor in as long as I have a licensed insured bartender (which I do thanks to my catering contract). So, if you have a crazy alcohol-involved tradition like mine, make sure you get permission first!

Family traditions are one of the best parts about weddings and I’m excited to continue this one at my own wedding in January. ๐Ÿ™‚

Does your family have any off-the-wall wedding traditions?

1 Divya @ Eat.Teach.Blog. June 22, 2012 at 12:02 pm

That is HILARIOUS. Love that tradition and may want to adopt it for my own wedding ๐Ÿ˜‰
Cap-throwing and all!
Divya @ Eat.Teach.Blog. recently posted..Indian Food โ€“ Gobi Aloo (Translated: Cauliflower and Potatoes)

2 Rachel June 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm

as a kentucky girl BOURBON whiskey is where it’s at – and it’s a part of every tradition we have – we’ve got maker’s and woodford celebratory birthday shots – the boys do bourbon tasting parties before their bachelor parties, and we always have a bourbon flask ready before the bride to be and bridesmaids walk down the aisle ๐Ÿ™‚

i made it a rule that bill can only have 2 shots before our “i do’s” – no wonky eye pictures
Rachel recently posted..happy first day of summer

3 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I love Jack and I think that’s an awesome tradition =]

Have you tried Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey? Mmmmmm. It’s SO good.
Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep recently posted..The (Early?) Summer Solstice… Say whatttt?

4 Jamie @ StudioEats June 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

haha this is an awesome tradition and im sure it creates many many memories. i don’t think we have any family wedding traditions. YET… ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..On Loving Your Mornings

5 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm

We don’t have enough weddings for a tradition like that! My older brother was the first to get married in my generation.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Versatile Blogger and Bar Testing

6 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife June 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

That’s awesome! We ran into something similar at a Greek wedding a few years ago.
My aunt believes that I started a new tradition with my wedding. For my something borrowed, my grandmother lent me her “wedding ring pin”, which is a pin of her wedding ring and my late grandfather’s wedding ring. She wears it every day, so it was really special that she lent it to me. All of my second cousins said how much they enjoyed seeing it on my dress as I walked down the aisle. Since I was the first girl of the cousins to get married, we’ll see if the other girl cousins follow in that tradition.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..An Announcement!

7 Anna June 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm

SEVEN boys??? Your poor grandma! My mom grew up down the road from a family with seven boys and I could never believe it.
The tradition sounds hilarious!

8 BroccoliHut June 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm

What a hilarious tradition!! Way to think ahead and clear Brother Jack with the venue.

9 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

Oh my gosh, loooooovvvee this!! That is seriously adorable!!!

10 Katie June 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I think that is a wonderful tradition! (potentially awkward if someone marries into a non-drinking family) but wonderful none the less.
Katie recently posted..Daily Miles or a New Workout?

11 Kimberly July 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Haha! I was thinking the same thing! Or if there’s someone squeamish about drinking after other people. But it’s a great tradition if everyone’s game for it!

12 Sarah June 28, 2012 at 2:43 pm

What a fun tradition!

13 Jennifer (Pargeon) Pariso June 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm

It started at Mindy’s wedding:-) So the tradition has been going on for 15 years!!! Figured you might have been too young to remember;-)

14 jen June 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Your family has some fun traditions. We have nothing like that, and I’m an only child! I kinda wish I had a big family with so many crazy siblings and other family members like you do.
jen recently posted..Physical Hunger Versus Emotional Hunger

15 Uncle Scott January 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Megan, Great job of telling a super family story. We had a ball at your wedding! Scott