more ยป" />

Old Man

by Meghann on June 21, 2012

Gotta give it to the old man, he still hasn’t lost that puppy smile.

A couple of you have inquired about Scooby’s health, and I’m happy to say he’s doing good. His hips may be slowly giving out on him, but he isn’t letting that slow him down. He’ll still casually lay a ball at your feet expecting a game of fetch, he’ll still climb on the couch to reach his favorite spot (though he may need extra help now), and he’ll still beg for his favorite treats and table scraps (his appetite is definitely still there). He’s still the Scooby we love, bad hips and all. :)

Once upon a time Scooby used to run a couple of miles with me on my morning runs, now he just sits on his favorite spot in the front lawn and watches me take off. (Maddie watches from the living room, there’s no way she would have let me leave the front yard without her)

I ran 5 hot-and-sweaty miles around my parents’ small hometown. The sun was out and the rain was long gone, but the mosquito aftermath from yesterday’s storms was in full affect. Mosquitos. Everywhere. I should have sprayed myself with a little bug spray before I left – lesson learned for next time. Hopefully these bug bites will fade before the wedding on Saturday! eek!

Dad started on breakfast almost as soon as I walked in the door (I could get used to this ;)).

He made the eggs-in-a-basket (a new-to-him creation that he was quite proud of) and sausage and I added the cantaloupe on the side. :)

The next time anyone tells me I really need to get rid of my old homecoming or prom dresses, I’m going to think of this.

538314_10102045035658993_888292570_n.jpeg

My mom is a bigger pack rat than I am. Her closet is full of over 40 years worth of favorite dresses, outfits, and things that still have tags on them. One of my favorite past times is going through my mom’s overflowing closet and pulling out hidden treasures from her youth. This morning we were in there looking for one thing or another and she pulled out a dress I had never seen before. It was her 8th grade “Miss Mountain Gap” dress she had wore for a beauty pageant in 1978. It was stunning, full of lace and very vintage – I immediately had to put it on. I love playing dress-up in my mom’s clothes and even wore a few of her prom dresses for halloweens years ago.

Hidden in her closet you’ll also find some dresses I wore when I was kid, as well as all my old prom and homecoming dresses that I refuse to get rid of. I’m hoping that one day my kids will have the same nostalgic pull towards my old dresses and will want to play dress up too (even when they’re 27 ;) ). Call me a pack rat, tell me to “simplify” my closet, what-ever. It’s worth it to look back 30 years from now and reminisce with my daughter on that one time I competed in a beauty pageant with my twin sister and my twin sister was runner up (or at least that’s the story my mom told me ;) ).

Are you pack rat when it comes to clothes? Did you ever play dress-up with your mom’s old clothes?

1 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third June 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oh my gosh this is hilarious! I used to love playing dress up with my mom’s old clothes!
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..My *Lucky* Summer Bucket List

2 Jamie @ StudioEats June 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

I seriously grew up on “egg in the holes” haha! Loved seeing it on your blog this morning :)
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..Colorful Quinoa Salad with Chili Avocado Yogurt Dressing

3 Sandy June 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

I used to love to play with my grandma’s shoes. I loved this pair of her beaded shoes and she recently gave them to me to remember her by when she passes away :( Scooby is very sweet! It’s sad that our pets get older and are not in the best of health but I am sure that he is in good hands.

4 Casey June 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

I was going to say…that dress is just lovely in a vintage sort of way. It’s probably so funny for your mom to hear us describe it as “vintage”, ha!
Casey recently posted..What I’m Loving Wednesday

5 Sarah June 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

aww that’s awesome your mom saves old clothes like that. My grandmother does the same thing and her dresses from the 50s-60s are gorgeous!! I’m thinking I’m going to ask her for them at some point and get them tailored!
Sarah recently posted..Yoga Teacher Training {Week 1}

6 Sana June 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

My mom plays dress-up with my clothes!
Sana recently posted..Down With The Sickness+ Wegmans In Columbia

7 Melissa @TryingtoHeal June 21, 2012 at 11:31 am

I had my old dresses from dances in high school but just recently got rid of them when I donated them to an organization that uses them for women who need them for military balls and proms and such. It was amazing to see the look on the girl’s faces when I walked in with 6 different dresses that any of them could wear!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Next Big Adventure: Into the Jungle

8 Annette @FitnessPerks June 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

I hope those bites fade for ya too! Yikes! But I am sure they will. P.s. I loved putting on my mom’s clothes and dressing up too :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Quick Tabata Workout + Fitness Conference Bound

9 Brittany June 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

I use to play dress up with my mom heels when I was a little girl. And I am such a pack rat. I have clothes from the 8th grade and I just graduated from college. haha

10 michelle June 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

Yes!! My mom saved all her prom/bridesmaid dresses and then when I was about 3 she altered them to be dress-up clothes size (and added a few from friends and thrift stores) complete with size adjustable and age appropriate features like velcro to close them etc… My sister and I had the BEST dress up trunk. I have saved all my dresses and hope to do the same, but so far only have a son **fingers crossed for a girl next time**

11 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 21, 2012 at 11:54 am

I always order Eggs in the Basket at Cracker Barrel but I’ve never made them at home! Your dads version looks delicious! :)
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..Three Thursday Things

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

My mom kept some of her old clothes, but not too many! She has her debutante dress and her wedding dress and a few other random items. I can’t fit into her wedding dress though, she was much smaller than me! Haha if I get married though I should lose some weight because I absolutely love it! free dress!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

13 Anna June 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Your family should look into a product called NuVet, it’s a vitamin supplement that might help Scooby feel more comfortable. They have a joint specific one as well called NuVet Joint. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the product, but haven’t tried it yet for Bella.

14 Jacqueline June 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Eggs-in-a-basket looks amazing! I need to try it soon.
I love throwing things away.
I get anxious thinking about clutter. Yeah, I’m special like that.
Jacqueline recently posted..Someone lost 6 pounds in 1 day

15 Army Amy* June 21, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I sometimes play dress up with my own clothes! A few weeks back I pulled out my old prom dress (which I love!) from 10 years ago. I couldn’t zip it all the way, but that didn’t stop me from wearing it around my apartment and doing the laundry in it. Trust me, doing the laundry is way more enjoyable when you are wearing a prom dress!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Three Things Thursday: Themeless Edition

16 Kathy June 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I never played dress up..mom tossed every thing out and honestly don’t know if I would have wanted to …she’ almost more casual than me…there wouldn’t have been much to try on except comfy pants and tops…however, I did try on my 94-yr. old grandmother’s wedding dress and it FIT!

We are exactly the same pear shape and obviously were the same shape when she got married waaaaay back when…(I may have to put it on again and snap a photo!)….I think it brought tears to her eyes to see it on me…it was very cool.

(I think the dress you have on looks cool too….it would fit your country/rustic wedding feel….maybe a relative should wear it? ;-)

17 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Your bread looks like it has Mickey Mouse ears on it!

My mom didn’t keep any of her clothes from way back when. I do remember playing in her closet when I was younger and finding some funky high heels from the 70s.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Almond Flour Dutch Baby – WIAW

18 Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Your description of Scooby reminds me so much of the dog Enzo in “The Art of Racing in the Rain”. Have you ever read it?

That breakfast is adorable and that dress is stunning!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Throwback Thursday and Honey Goat Cheese Fruit Dip

19 Reenie June 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Ahhh Scooby!! :)

20 Cait's Plate June 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Aw – glad to hear Scooby’s doing okay. And OH my gosh – that dress is amazing. I wonder if my mom still has hers…
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Peach Cobbler in a Jar

21 Mckenna June 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’ve always wondered, How did you decide to name your dog? (Maddie)
Where did that name come from?

pure curiosity, lol.

22 Meghann June 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Maddie is short for Madeline. It really didn’t come from anywhere special. When I brought her home it took me a couple of days to name her. She was very prissy and girlie at the time, so I wanted to give her a girly name to go with her girly attitude. I went through several names before Madeline (Maddie) stuck. :)

23 CampingGirl June 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I am not a pack rat at all! I clean out my closet every spring and fall, at that time I do a total overhaul and donate anything that I have not worn or don’t love anymore. It is a great excuse to go shopping for new stuff :)
CampingGirl recently posted..Movie Day

24 BroccoliHut June 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm

My sisters and I used to LOVE trying on my mom’s old dresses that we found in the attic. The sequined/neon get-ups from the 80s were our favorites!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Raspberry and Brie Grilled Cheese

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I get rid of EVERYTHING. Seriously, if I haven’t used it for a year, it’s gone!

And I hate watching pets get old. My childhood dog is 13 now, which is pretty good since he is 100+ lbs. He still tries to act like a puppy – it’s cute.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..white bean and tomato salad

26 Sara@RunningInPinkProject June 21, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Im a clothes hoarder. Its an issue. :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Easy