more ยป" />

DIY Flower Party

by Meghann on June 21, 2012

Flowers! Flowers! Everywhere!

IMG_5637.JPG IMG_5638.JPG IMG_5639.JPG IMG_5641.JPG

Operation DIY Kelly’s Wedding Flowers was a big success!

Kelly picked up all of the GORGEOUS flowers (seriously, my sister has some awesome taste!) from the flower warehouse this morning and brought them to my aunt’s for a little DIY flower party.

My aunt is an incredibly talented florist who has years of experience with designing gorgeous floral arrangements for weddings(she owned a flower shop back in the day) . She’s so incredibly that she didn’t even hesitate when Kelly asked for her help with her flowers, in fact, she jumped at the chance. :)

The two of them have actually been working behind the scenes for months going over every wedding flower details. They had a game plan today on what had to be done today (corsages, bouquets, boutonnieres, etc.), what had to wait until we were on site (center pieces), and what we could help with.

After the flowers were trimmed, watered, and placed in a cool location, my aunt gave us a quick lesson on flower wiring, ribbon bows, and boutonniere building, then let us loose.

The whole process was actually a lot of fun. Some of the work was tedious, but once you started to grow bored of something, you would be done and ready to move on to the next. We spent may 3 hours? (4?) on the flowers and the time really flew by.

IMG_5679.JPG IMG_5665.JPG

I sort of got in a rhythm with the boutonnieres and they became my personal little project. My first one was terrible – terrible! – but, after a little practice, they were much better. I hope the guys appreciate all the love and attention that went into these bad boys!

I wish I could share more about the flowers, but you’ll just have to take my word on how breathtaking they are and wait until Saturday to see the finished product. I can say that my aunt really is an incredibly talented florist and we are truly blessed to have such a generous, amazing lady in the family. :)

And now I’m inspired to do DIY flowers for my wedding. Hopefully it will go just as smoothly as my sister’s! ;)

My dad hand delivered our lunch today.

Publix subs!

I ordered a turkey sub with everything, but green peppers.

And snacked on fresh fruit and baby carrots through the afternoon. (this plate x 5 ;) )

I also had some scone too.

My dad made homemade alfredo for dinner with summer squash, shrimp, and chicken.

Homemade alfredo sauce is very simple to do (just heavy cream and parmesan cheese), but for some reason when my dad makes it, it’s 10x better than anywhere else.

A small bowl of vanilla ice cream with zucchini nut bread for dessert.

Less than 48 hours until my sister walks down the aisle!!!

Hopefully, the next two days will go as smoothly as today…. fingers crossed!

Good night!!

1 Cait's Plate June 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

That sub looks legit! I’ve never had one from Publix before but that’s good to know! Good luck with the rest of the prep!

2 SaraB June 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Screw the sub, I want that alfredo! Yum!!

3 Brittany June 21, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I’m with you hahaa

4 Krystina (Krystina Yogini) June 21, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Girl, get a Publix sub. They put all Subway to shame.

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 22, 2012 at 7:08 am

I agree with Krystina. Publix subs rock.

6 SaraB June 22, 2012 at 9:07 am

I can agree that they look great, and way better than the Subway, when Meghann posts them. Sadly, I live in North country BFE and we are not lucky enough to have Publix here :(

7 Colleen June 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm

It’s awesome how a little coordination and a how-to lesson can go such a long way! I’m glad the flowers worked out well. I’ve worked with weddings for a number of years and the best part now is that it is time to relax and party, no use worrying about the tiny stuff anymore. Tell your sister to enjoy every moment, it’ll be wonderful!

Oh, will your dad come cook me dinner?

8 Reenie June 22, 2012 at 12:08 am

The sub does look good…..and your Dad’s food always looks good.

Can’t wait to see the flowers. =)

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 22, 2012 at 12:17 am

I’m sure having a florist in the family really helped! I’m glad everything turned out so nicely, and that you all had a great time together doing it! Looks like fun , I can’t wait to see the final product!!!!

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 22, 2012 at 12:21 am

I can’t wait to see the flowers! That’s super awesome that you’re aunt offered to help. One of my close friends gets married in like 2.5 weeks and all the DIY or family/friend offers to help (like a friend who is an amazing DJ offered to DJ for them for free as their wedding gift) is so appreciated. And your DIY project actually does sound kind of fun! :)

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 22, 2012 at 8:11 am

I can’t wait to see the flowers! They look great already! :) It must be so fun doing everything together . So exciting!

12 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian June 22, 2012 at 9:10 am

Those flowers look gorgeous! That’s so awesome that you have a florist in the family – talk about a money saver! Can’t wait to hear all about Kelly’s wedding!

13 Erica June 22, 2012 at 9:43 am

How exciting! I worked in a florist for years and love putting together wedding bouquets. Hope the wedding is fantastic

14 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 22, 2012 at 9:54 am

My dad’s food is always better than anyone else’s. I think it’s just a dad thing… Like grandmothers and baking ;]

15 Jamie @ StudioEats June 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

The DIY flower idea is ambitious but looks like you guys had fun with it! your dad’s dinner looks so good… love me some alfredo!

16 Jacqueline June 22, 2012 at 10:52 am

The alfredo looks amazing!
I can’t wait to see the flowers.
My husband & I did our wedding flower arrangement’s ourselves with the help of my sister. I ordered them from the same vendor Costco uses, they delivered them right to the store.
We had no experience, but we were happy with how they turned out. It was so much fun!

17 Annette @FitnessPerks June 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

Ahhhh SOOO exciting! They do look gorgeous!