more ยป" />

Heading Out

by Meghann on June 20, 2012

My bag is packed!

Granted, I haven’t tried actually zipping it yet, but I have hopes that it will shut. Any bets? ;)

Both of my parents took the week off to help my sister with last minute wedding projects and I offered to drive over today to help with what I can from now until Saturday. The biggest project starts tomorrow, when we have a DIY flower party at my parents’ place. My sister purchased all of her flowers from a wholesale flower distributer and our goal for Thursday and/or Friday will be to construct bouquets and centerpieces with the help of my very talented aunt who ran her own flower shop a few years back.

I’ve never made a flower arrangement or bouquet in my life, but I can be taught and that’s what my sister is aiming for here. My goal is to follow directions and do as I’m told while doing so. ;)

I’m actually curious to see how this whole DIY flower thing goes down as it’s something I’ve been thinking about for my own wedding. It’s a heck of a money saver (I think all of my sister’s flowers were under $300) and could be fun to do if the stress level isn’t too crazy. We’ll just have to wait and see. :)

Lunch

I murdered the sweet potatoes. I cooked them too high on accident (whoops) and burned them from the inside out somehow (they were really dry). Lesson learned – always double check the oven temp before walking away!

With the sweet potatoes, I had a toasted english muffin with fresh arugula and slightly melted extra sharp cheddar cheese.

And a side of peach.

I took Maddie for an extra long walk after lunch to try and tucker her our before our 2 hour car ride back home.

I hope she’s ready for it!

See ya on the flip side!

1 Katie D. June 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm

My mom helped my sister and I do our own flowers for each of our weddings. We ordered them from globalrose.com and it worked out GREAT!! My mom is pretty good with flowers and we just helped with getting her the ones she needed, dethroning the roses, etc.

2 Sana June 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm

sooo excited for your family! I hope Kelly has an awesome time!

3 Kelly June 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The flowers were $350 (not including ribbon and other things needed to put them together) for any other brides out there. We can do this!

4 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 20, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Wow, that’s a crazy difference in price! I wish I knew someone with the skillzzzzz to do our own flowers. That would save me OODLES of money!

5 Dana June 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I couldn’t do DIY for my wedding. Allergies! But I have considered doing the broach bouquets somewhere down the line. I can’t wait to see how this works out for Kelly.

6 Rachel June 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I was going to do my own centerpieces, but it ended up only being ~$50 more to have the florist do them. Definitely worth the 50 bucks to have 1 less thing to do!

7 Kayla Moothart June 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have to say that I LOVE that all of your meals are so balanced! I need to add fruit to all of my meals – I’m going to eat some right now since I didn’t have any at lunch!

8 Cait's Plate June 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Safe travels!

9 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna June 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm

maddy is so cute!! can’t wait to hear how the making all the bouquets and centerpieces goes!

10 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna June 20, 2012 at 3:37 pm

whoops meant to put maddie! ;)

11 Andrea June 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I DIY’d my flowers and only spent $203 for 20 centrepieces. I didn’t have bridesmaids and didn’t bother carrying a bouquet so that brought the cost down too. I just wanted really simple centrepieces and it was a piece of cake and kind of fun!

12 Erin @ GoBananasBlog June 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I made it a bridesmaid event and we got together the day before and everyone made their own bouquet. It was fun and special!

13 Amelia June 20, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Aw, have fun with all of the wedding festivities this week! I thought about you as my husband and I passed Titusville on our way to Vero Beach this past weekend. We went down to visit family in Orlando & Vero.

Making bouquets sounds like fun, although I am not that kind of crafty at all. While I was a pastry chef for 5+ years and can make & design any kind of wedding cake, forget bouquets! ;) I am all about saving $$$ though!!!

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 20, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I hope the DIY flower project is successful! What a great money saver!

15 Annette @FitnessPerks June 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Ahhh SOOO exciting for your family! Have a safe trip :)

16 Chelsea June 20, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I did my wedding flowers with my mom’s help the DAY of my wedding. Instead of being frustrating, it was actually relaxing. It would have been more relaxing if I had more helpers, but doing your own flowers can be a lot of fun!

17 Sara@RunningInPinkProject June 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Ive been on an arugula kick this week too. Ive enjoyed seeing it pop up on your blog! Enjoy the wedding fun and flower arranging. I think that is a really great way to save $$. Flowers at my wedding were ridiculous. If only I knew then… :)

18 Becky @ runfundone June 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I DIYed my wedding flowers! It was a HUGE money saver. I still don’t understand why more people don’t do this…but then again, I don’t think most people are as obsessed with saving money as I am. I just kept things simple by having centerpieces that were more candle-focused than flower focused, and had all-rose bouquets. I would have loved to have a bigger variety of flowers, but it was definitely worth the money I saved…we spent $100 on flowers. Best decision ever.

19 BroccoliHut June 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I always stuff my suitcase to the brim like that too. Usually I end up plopping Margot and my rear end on top of it to get it to zip closed :)

20 Becka June 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

I must say I love your food photos, well done. Everything you post looks very yummy. Best wishes to you sister. Have a great day. ^_^

21 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm

We did paper flowers for our centerpieces and pinwheels for the girls. my MOH made the centerpieces as a gift and i made extra paper flowers for my hair and mini-pinwheels for the bouts. it was about $40 when all was said and done and we got lots of compliments!