Wedding: Four Siblings, Three Weddings, and Two Parents

by Meghann on June 19, 2012

Whenever I tell anyone that Derek and I are getting married in January, they say congrats. When I tell them that my little brother just got married in February and my sister is getting married this month, their eyes get really big and they respond with, “your poor, poor parents – you guys couldn’t spread it out a little, could you?”

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard similar statements since the moment Derek and I got engaged and our wedding date was set. To the outside world, we are a crazy family. Three weddings in under one year and a set of parents who – thankfully – are very supportive through them all.

Everyone always asks about my parents first and their take on the whole thing. Honestly? I’ve never heard a negative thing come out of either of their mouths over the matter. Not even when they had to postpone certain trips because all their vacation days were wrapped in wedding stuff, not even when my sister or I took them to the upteenth venue to look at, not even when I had the “budget talk” with them in January (about 7 months after my sister had a similar talk with them), and not even when I asked my Dad if he minded if we had our wedding the day before his 50th birthday. They’ve been troopers and – you know what? – I think they love every minute of it.

One day I did ask my dad what was really going on in his head with three back-to-back weddings, and he told me that him and my mom saw it coming just based on how long all of us had been dating our significant others. They’re both hungry for grandchildren (they have serous grandbaby fever) and were hoping we would all settle down soon anyways. “If all the weddings have to happen in a row – even better.”

The same support can be said with all of my siblings. We try not to step on each other’s toes with planning and are respectful of the other couple’s decisions. Instead of pouting about the weddings being so close – we’re happy and excited about them!

Personally, I love that our weddings are so close, especially since mine is last in line. I’ve learned so much about the wedding planning process (something I knew little about before) from Kelly and Ashley. They’re great with “Don’t make the same mistake as I did with…” or “uncle x didn’t RSVP to either of ours – you can probably skip him in the headcount” or just plain learning from trial and error along the way. It’s also fun to see how some things play out (Kelly is DIY-ing her flowers) before deciding to do it for my own wedding (one of the perks of being last 😉 ).

I love my sisters and love bouncing ideas off of them. We share pinterest boards and are constantly emailing, tweeting, and texting back and forth with ideas. It’s great to have sisters that are going through the same thing and you can bond with through the process.

I think the final question people always ask is, “What about your twin brother? Is he going to be heading to the altar anytime soon?” The short answer is, not that I’m aware of. He does have a serious girlfriend (who we all love and adore), but they’re both in residency and are about to be a couple of timezones away from each other. They have time – lots of time – and aren’t in a rush to figure everything out just yet.

Do you have siblings? Were your weddings spread out or back-to-back?

1 Donna June 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

My sister got married in February and I got married in October. It worked out well bc we could share guest lists (my mom liked not having to find or update the addresses). I think it worked well and the parents didn’t act like they minded at all.

2 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

You have a pintrest board about this? How did I miss this, I really need to stalk your wedding from all angles-hehe. One of my friends and her two sisters all got married within a year, so it can be done. Plus, all your kids can grow up together.
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Greener Racing—It Can Be Done

3 Natalie B June 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I was married 4 years ago & my little sister (2 years younger) is nowhere near getting married. Not even a boyfriend at this time. So, even if she found the love of her life tomorrow & they ran to the court house we would still be over 4 years apart.

My parents aren’t aching for grandkids since they have 1 already & another on the way (due in 7.5 weeks) but I’m aching for a niece or nephew. I’m hoping she finds the guy of her dreams soon & doesn’t wait TOOO long to have some babies.
Natalie B recently posted..32 weeks

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Despite the fact that I read everyday, I never actually realized all three weddings were within the same year. (Clearly I just never did the math) But that’s CRAZY! And awesome! I would imagine back-to-back-to-back wedding planning is stressful, but it’s definitely kind of cool and year you all will NEVER forget.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I Survived!

5 Becca June 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I had to comment b/c the same thing just happened in my fam- 3 daughters married within 10 months. My parents were the same way- they were very relaxed about it all and thought it was “so neat.” They had fun and so did all of us- it made for a very party-filled year! They were 3 very different and unique weddings, too, so there was nothing to get tired of– they were all so special. I was last, so I think everyone was a bit more laid back about all my wedding stuff, but that was fine by me b/c that’s how I wanted it. Our baby bro is a long way from getting married– which is great b/c we’ll need some more excitement in a few years!!

6 Kathy June 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

3 sisters and all were about 3 years apart….and different. (Personally, I still kind of wished we eloped….I sooo wanted to do this but hubs to be wanted the big wedding with friends and family…..he won out and it was fun but, under neath I still wished we had gone away together)

Yea…I am kind of an introvert that way 😉

7 Michelle June 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

At least you’re all getting married within a 100-mile radius of each other (and it sounds like most of your family is close?)! My brothers just got married 6 weeks apart. One in Vegas, one in Sonoma. They both live in Orlando.

Now the weddings were both TONS of fun and I am, of course, so thrilled for them, but my bank account was so sad.

I got married almost 10 years ago, so for years I would joke around that we were just waiting for them to get their acts together. Of course, I didn’t expect them to get married in such a short period of time! Guess the joke was on me. LOL.
Michelle recently posted..Bringing Up Bebe: Maybe I Should Just Live In France?

8 Laura @ My Pink Thumb June 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I have 2 older brothers and we’re all married now. Our weddings were close, just not as close as yours is with your siblings. 😉 The middle brother was married July 2010, I was married April 2011 and my eldest brother was married January 2012. So one a year! 😉
Laura @ My Pink Thumb recently posted..The SodaStream Fizz Factor

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I have an older brother who is 26, I’m 24, and my younger brother turned 21 today! My oldest brother is married, but I am completely single, so no sign of a wedding for me in the future, and my little brother has a girlfriend, but I sure hope they wait since he’s in college and she just graduated high school!!!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Behind the Shiny Veneer

10 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I got married last Oct and my lil sis is not yet married. She broke up with her long term bf a few yrs ago and dated here and there since, but nothing major since (though she did recently start dating a guy we are all loving, so we will see!) so ours will be at least a few yrs apart. But I am one of those weird people who do not want my own kids, but love the idea of being an aunt, so I hope she’ll hurry up, lol!

11 Liz June 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I can one-up you… there are four siblings in my family and we all got married within 7 months 🙂 (it wasn’t intentional… just sort happened that way!) It was definitely hectic.

12 Marianne June 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I just got married at the end of May, and my younger brother’s getting married in the middle of July. My sister’s ten years younger, and I’m hoping she holds off a couple of years!

13 Sara J June 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

In 2010, my brother’s wedding was in June (I was a bridesmaid), then my sister-in-law (my husband’s sister) got married in October (I was a bridesmaid in that too!), then my wedding was in November. Not to mention 3 other weddings we attended, and numerous bridal and baby showers. It was a really fun, although slightly expensive, year. I wouldn’t change a second of it 🙂

14 Laura June 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love that Kelly is doing her own flowers! I did my own for my wedding two weeks ago and it was so easy and they turned out great! Big $$ saver too!!

15 Erin June 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Let’s see…I got married at the end of May 2003. My brother got married in September 2003. And my sister got married in June 2004. So, almost three weddings in one year!
Erin recently posted..Weekend Wildness

16 Stephanie June 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I was married in September and my brother got married 5 months later in February, I was happy to be first, although I think my sister-in-law would have rather been first, it’s so fun though!

17 Army Amy* June 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Let’s see. I’m the middle kid (of 3) and I got married 3 years ago. Neither of my brothers are married yet. My big brother is fixing to tie the knot in September. I could not be happier for him! It makes me so happy to see him in love. If he had gotten married near when I did, I wouldn’t have minded at all!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Dreaming of Down Unda

18 Sandy June 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Your parents are awesome people! I would be ready to hurt my kids if they all got married so close together and I would be broke too! LOL!! Congratulations to all you! I think it is a wonderful thing that all of you have found someone to love and spend the rest of your lives with!!

19 Jameil June 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

First, I love how deliriously happy your SIL looks in the wedding pic! So adorable! I have 2 sisters & a brother & I’m the first to marry. My husband’s only brother has been married almost 5 years. His only sister’s not a big wedding person but she’s getting married at the JOP next week! We’re going down for the wedding dinner Saturday, one day before our 1-year anniversary! For now my small (25 ppl), fast (28 days), inexpensive (under $2500) wedding expertise is just sitting waiting to be used! 🙂 I did DIY flowers and helped my friend with hers. If you have an open to the public wholesaler nearby, you can get amazing prices! You can have a flower arranging party the day before w/the wedding party and get it all done, store in the fridge.

20 Jamie @ StudioEats June 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Your family is adorable! You guys have such good attitudes about supporting each other.
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..A Summer Dessert: Sautéed Grapefruit with Ricotta

21 michaela June 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Can you give me some more info about Kelly’s flowers? Is she super creative and talented? I would love to do my own flowers (to save $$$) but I am horrible at that kind of stuff.

22 Meghann June 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

I promise to share a post on this later, as it’s something something I plan to pursue as well with flowers for my wedding. We’re very lucky in the fact that our aunt owned a floral shop a few years ago. She is VERY talented and knows what she’s doing. She and Kelly went to a wholesale flower place a few months ago and ordered flowers in bulk based on Kelly’s color scheme and what was in season. They pick the flowers up on Thursday and we’re having a flower party on Thursday and Friday. I’ll fill in the details on the blog with how it goes!

23 Corie June 19, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I have an older brother and a younger sister and we’re all 18 months apart. Two years ago it went like this – my younger sister graduated from college in May, I got married in June, and my brother got married in October. My dad said the only pain he felt through those months was in his bank account ; )

24 CampingGirl June 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I think that it’s great that you are all supportive of each other through such a crazy planning time! The way that you describe the events makes them sound like family weddings instead of just a couples wedding.

My brothers and I have quite a few years between us (4yrs and 16yrs between). I was married 4 years ago and my brother was married last summer, the little one has a few more years to go I think.
CampingGirl recently posted..Tomato Revisited

25 Alaina June 19, 2012 at 8:18 pm

My sister in law was married in July of ’08 and my husband (her brother) and I were married in October of ’08. Thankfully there were no feelings of competition or stepping on anyone’s toes. It was great to have Sara around to bounce ideas off of and whatnot. Both weddings ended up being a blast! 🙂
Alaina recently posted..RunHundred–Top 10 Workout Songs for June

26 MrsSwan June 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm

The first picture of you mom holding something. What is it? I couldn’t enlarge it to read.

27 Meghann June 20, 2012 at 8:52 am

It’s the frame my brother and his wife gave my parents during their rehearsal dinner. It days “All that we are and all the we hope to be, we owe to our loving parents. Ashley & Ben”

28 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer June 19, 2012 at 9:01 pm

My baby sister was upset when I got engaged because she felt my family was not as excited for her engagement. (She was 20 and not with her fiance that long. I’m 26) I decided to hold off on my wedding planning to not interfere with her day. 5 months later the wedding planning is under way!!
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..It’s My Birthday Weekend Part 2

29 Andrea June 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Sister #1 got married in May 2007, brother #1 got married in August 2007, and sister #2 got married in March 2008. Then sister #1 had a baby in April 2008. I’m the oldest in my family and what did I do during all of this? I turned 30 and went on zero dates. It was a fun year, I tell you what.

30 SpaceySteph June 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I’m first in my family but my fiancé’s brother got married in August and his sister got married in January. We’re getting married next February, and I too am enjoying being last in line!
I got to meet all his relatives at the previous too weddings, inherit their guest lists, and have a few experienced people in my corner.
People feel badly for his parents too, but we gave them a whole two months after his sisters wedding before getting engaged so they should have recovered plenty by now!
SpaceySteph recently posted..My first Blog game!

31 Erin June 19, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I’m the oldest and the first to get married, so it’s definitely trial and error with my side (though my parents are totally amazing & supportive so far!) and my younger siblings are nowhere near the altar. My fiance’s older brother got married 2 years ago and let’s just say it was….dramatic. There were a lot of hurt feelings throughout the process on his side (plus his parents are divorced and remarried so there are A LOT of people to consider!) so in that sense it was a great lesson in what NOT to do!
Erin recently posted..Most Important Meal.

32 Elisabeth June 20, 2012 at 1:06 am

The question I’d been wondering about was your twin brother…ha! I hadn’t realized they were going to be separated for residency. I think I would definitely wait if I were them, too!

33 Stephanie June 20, 2012 at 10:41 am

We were back to back – mine in November, my sister’s in June of the next year. I think the only person who took it hard was my dad, but he felt like he was losing his “girls”. I’m pretty sure that would have happened no matter when we got married, though!

34 Emily N June 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm

My sis and I are less than a year apart, but neither of my brothers are even dating right now, so i think after this weekend they will have a break of at least a year, although we all could end up surprised!
Emily N recently posted..Yassos: check!

35 Melissa June 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

We got engaged in February last year and are getting married in 9 days. My fiancé’s sister got engaged in August last year and got married in January. (And one of my other bridesmaids got engaged in July last year and got married in April). It’s definitely been a whirlwind for his family, and for us too. In hindsight, it can be fun being last even though it was completely unexpected.
Melissa recently posted..A Twist on the Smoothie

36 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger June 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

I love this post Meghann! I am the oldest of 4 and my younger sister (the next in line) just got engaged. At first I was a little upset since I always envisioned myself getting married first, and I knew the questions about my BF and I (and our timeline) would be coming; but your take is very refreshing and one that I will adopt 🙂 Congrats to your sister!! And best of luck with your planning 🙂
Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger recently posted..Keeping Cool