Circle, Circle, Dot, Dot

by Meghann on June 19, 2012

Good Morning!

Guess who made it to swim practice this morning? This girl!

I realized as I pulled out of the driveway this morning that this was my first time heading to the pool in a week. I’m great about swimming with my team, but if for some reason I can’t make a practice, I’m not great about swimming on my own. Tomorrow I’m heading to Titusville to help my sister with wedding stuff. I’ll be there until Sunday and then we leave for a week at the beach. That’s over a week and a half of swim practices that I’ll be missing out on, and over a week and a half of swim practices that I desperately need to not miss.

Luckily, I’ll have access to the pool at my parents’ gym while I’m in Titusville, I’ll have access to a pool when we’re at the beach, and I have a little brother who has already called to make sure I’m packing my goggles and swim cap. I might now have my XP team with me, but I will have a swimming partner to rely on to make sure I get my pool time in. :)

The pool was crowded this morning. Our group was confined to two lanes, which meant a lot of circle swimming (where you swim in the lane in a circle pattern). I’m an awful circle swimmer – all I think about is the person behind me on my heels slowly catching up to me and being annoyed that they can’t pass me for whatever reason. Because of that I’m always slowing down to let people pass me and generally finish dead last.

The good thing is, since we were squeezed so tight, our workout was kept relatively simple and easy to follow. Lots of 100 intervals with 100 easy in between.

2100m Swim Workout.png

It should be noted that the youth swim team in the lanes next to us were doing their 100 intervals at 1:35. I hate them.

Post-swim I had a big bowl of berries for breakfast.

It was more than just berries, I promise. Underneath the strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries was greek yogurt and Chex cereal.

I could eat berries all day long if given the change. ;)

Time to get to work.

Later, gators!

1 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

That’s actually a great workout, well over a mile. I remember my youth swim team days, I have no idea if I could ever approach those times again.

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

Great workout! I finally got my booty to the gym today and did weights, followed by 4.5 miles running with a friend. It felt good to sweat!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Food Trucks Rock (plus some exciting news!).

3 Annette @FitnessPerks June 19, 2012 at 11:52 am

Mmmm love a good swim drill! Nice work getting there!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Sweat YOUR Way

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Ahh I wish I could eat berries all day, so expensive though! I bought some strawberries at whole foods on sale, but they ended up having a few moldy ones I didn’t see and weren’t too great. oh well!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Behind the Shiny Veneer

5 alice June 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm

i might be heading into my first-ever swim practice with a triathlon team i’m considering joining tomorrow morning. SO NERVOUS. wish me luck! :)
alice recently posted..weeks 6 and 7

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Great workout! I’m visiting my parents right now and just got back from the local high school’s open swim. I had called to ask what it was like and the lady told me that the pool got busy but it was possible to swim. When I got there the entire pool was overtaken by a day camp! I ended up swimming 300 meters before hopping out. It was way too much work to avoid swimming into kids!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Ventura Sport

7 Jamie @ StudioEats June 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Ahh you do eat a ton of berries! I consider berries a treat considering how $$$ they are here in NY… so sad….
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..A Summer Dessert: Sautéed Grapefruit with Ricotta

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I was a swimmer in high school, and I remember our hardest 100 sets were paced at 1:15. Uhhh that was horrendous. And my least favorite set was called X times 100. Basically, we started the set at a 1:45 pace. Every single 100 you did, the pace would decrease by one second. You kept going until you couldn’t possibly make the time. It was always during our “try out” week, so you really could not slack off at all.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..what i ate growing up

9 Chuck June 20, 2012 at 12:27 am

Yeah… but those little kids are beasts!

10 Kristle June 20, 2012 at 10:06 am

Oh yeah 10×100 at 1:10 was a regular set to ‘wrap up’ warm up. No way could I make those now (not to mention I hardly ever swim more than we did for warm ups before).