Sisterhood Everlasting

by Meghann on June 18, 2012

Are there any Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants fans out there?

SisterhoodofTravelingPants.jpg

I discovered the books years ago in college and LOVED them. I must’ve read – and re-read – the series 2-3 times because they were so good. There was something very raw and real about the characters that pulled me in.

The fourth book (“Forever in Blue”) was published in 2008 and was dubbed “the last summer” as the book pretty much wrapped everything up in a neat little bow. I thought that was the end of the series, but last month I discovered this book on my sister-in-law’s bookshelf and was told I was one.

sisterhood everlasting.jpg

Sisterhood Everlasting catches up with Bridget, Lena, Carmen, and Tibby 10 years in the future – apparently the fourth book didn’t wrap everything up in a neat little bow as I thought it had. Nope. 10 years in the future and they’re still the same raw, emotionally driven girls that they were when the fourth summer ended on their 19th birthday.

I couldn’t wait to read it, but wanted to get through the rest of The Art of Racing in the Rain first. Then I decided I was tired of waiting on Friday and downloaded an audio version of the book to listen to on my runs instead.

I listened to my first few chapters during my run on Saturday morning and haven’t been able to stop listening since. I’m listening to the book in my car (and then find excuses to stay in the car and listen more), on my walks with Maddie, at the gym, I even listened while packing, doing laundry, making dinner, and eating dinner (Derek worked late tonight so I was on my own) for 2 hours straight this evening. The storyline is addicting, and I can’t put the ipod down.

I still haven’t finished (I have two hours left), but something tells me I’m not even going to make it to my next run before I finish.

If you’re a fan of the Traveling Pants series, I would highly recommend picking it up. It’s nice to check in on the girls in the future and seeing where their lives have taken them, even if it isn’t exactly where they want to be. :)

Oh, and that dinner I cooked as I was listening? It was petty good.

I was going for a jambalaya, but sort of just ended up with my own creation of what-ever looked good. ;)

I started with chunks of chicken breast, then added carrots, okra, a can of tomatoes, a can of black beans, and the rest of the fresh parsley and thyme in the fridge. Once the veggies were all soft, I poured a can of chicken broth over everything, brought it to a boil, and then to a simmer for 20 minutes.

Pretty good if you ask me. :)

Earlier I had a big apple with PB2.

And I had 1/2 of the Caramel Mallow Crunchie for dessert.

The caramel treat was gooey and sticky, but very yummy. :)

If you’ll excuse me, I have more listening to do.

Good night!

1 Lindsey June 18, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I love that series, and I read that book in one day. Yes, we were on a road trip and driving 16 hours that day but I could not put it down. Loved it.
Lindsey recently posted..Guacamole of my Dreams

2 Army Amy* June 18, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I found Sisterhood Everlasting to be too dark. Maybe it’s because my husband was deployed while I read it, but not my cup of tea. I’m just going to pretend Forever in Blue really was the last book in the series.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Streaking: Week 3

3 Katie June 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm

WOOHOO! Thank you for letting me know that there is an updated book!
Katie recently posted..What’s Next?

4 Laura @ Backstage Balance June 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I read the book and while I enjoyed revisiting the characters, I found it to be incredibly dark. I also feel that Ann Brashares didn’t do one of the characters justice. Hopefully this one isn’t adapted into film.

5 Cait's Plate June 18, 2012 at 11:35 pm

LOVE Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants! I own the movies on DVD :) Haha
Cait’s Plate recently posted..West Egg Cafe

6 Allie June 18, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I just read that book a few weeks ago!! It was so good; neat to have a grown-up ending to the book! :)

7 Annette @FitnessPerks June 19, 2012 at 12:05 am

OOOOh thank YOU!! I read that series too-and it’s a quick, fun read. MUST get this. U rock! Have a nice ‘listen’ ;)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Refuel, When? + PopChips Review

8 theresa @ a spoonful of sunshine June 19, 2012 at 1:14 am

I am definitely a Sisterhood fan, and was let wanting a little something more after the fourth one too! I am running to the bookstore to grab it tomorrow!
theresa @ a spoonful of sunshine recently posted..Finals Survival

9 Liz June 19, 2012 at 1:18 am

I LOVED the Traveling Pants series, too, and have probably re-read the series about 5 times. I enjoyed the 2 movies & couldn’t wait to read the new book when it came out – I even read the 4 again to be sure I was ‘ready’. Ha! It was definitely different than the 4 original books, but I really liked it, too. I highly recommend it if you liked the original series :)

10 Lorin June 19, 2012 at 2:56 am

I just finished that book today! It was okay, I liked the other books better. I think it started dragging on after awhile. Everyone was depressed for about 150 pages and it was still the same thing going back and forth between girls.

11 ash bear June 19, 2012 at 6:02 am

Do you have to read the other books to enjoy this one? Maybe I’ll have to add them to my list..
ash bear recently posted..Weekly Workouts and Protein Two Ways

12 Meghann June 19, 2012 at 9:11 am

Yes, I think you have to re-read the first 4 to get the emotions of where all the girls are coming from. It’s a great series as a whole if you ever need something light to read. :)

13 Bridget June 19, 2012 at 6:32 am

I didn’t know that there was another book! Must get ASAP! :) Thank you so much for this post!

14 Allison @ The Life and Loves of Allison Fay June 19, 2012 at 6:55 am

I used to love these books! Will have to catch up on the newer ones.

And I love audiobooks- I listen to them while I run, walk, clean, drive, fall asleep… I’m obsessed!
Allison @ The Life and Loves of Allison Fay recently posted..My 5 Gold Stars

15 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 19, 2012 at 7:16 am

I’ve never read the books but I have seen the movies and I love them! I want to read the last book. It sounds great! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Some Of My June Favorites…

16 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 19, 2012 at 7:27 am

I used to love those books! I will definitely be checking out the new one! I used to be addicted to the sweet valley high books too…
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Spinach Salad with Chicken, Orange, and Raspberry

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 19, 2012 at 7:30 am

That book was on my “to read” list last summer – I absolutely loved it. It made me cry and made me laugh probably all within one page. Just you wait. Get out the tissues.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..what i ate growing up

18 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 19, 2012 at 7:32 am

I’m so excited to hear that there’s another
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..I’m A Solemate!

19 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 19, 2012 at 7:35 am

I’m so excited to hear there’s another book! I read each of those as they came out, and was thrilled about the movie too! I’ll have to check it out!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..I’m A Solemate!

20 Dana June 19, 2012 at 8:18 am

HUGE fan of those books. I own them in English and French. The final (sequel? follow-up?) book is good. Enjoy the ending!

21 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 19, 2012 at 8:45 am

I’ve never read the series, but I am definitely a big an of books that are in a series because it leaves me wanting more! Perhaps I will add them to my summer reading list! :)
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..The Better Chip Review and Giveaway

22 Heather June 19, 2012 at 8:57 am

ok so now I want to read sisterhood of the traveling pants! I never read them!

23 Meghann June 19, 2012 at 9:17 am

Yes! read them. It’s a great series to read on the beach when you don’t feel like thinking

24 Heather June 19, 2012 at 9:24 am

I am going to the beach in a couple weeks and was already planning to download them only my tablet after reading your review! lol!
Heather recently posted..Is it Time to Throw it Out?

25 Emily N June 19, 2012 at 9:23 am

Thanks for adding one more book to my must spend money for the kindle before Mexico. I LOVED those books.
Emily N recently posted..A Delicious Dinner and an AWESOME run!

26 Lisa June 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

I am so excited you posted about this books! We have an upcoming Florida vacation and you can bet I will take those books with me! Thanks :)
Lisa recently posted..Cheddar Spirals

27 Nikki T June 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

Oh, I have that one on my shelf to read too! I’m also just finishing up The Art of Racing in the Rain…

28 Kimberly June 19, 2012 at 10:30 am

Love, Love, Love the additon to the series. I know its darker, but I thought it was fantastic.

29 Jaime June 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

How excited am I about the Sisterhood book?!?! Very!!!! I had no idea there was another one!

30 Kashi at Cape Island Runners June 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Aww, I love those books. But my favorite memory was from NY’s Day a few yrs ago. Our friends were up and the boys partied really hard. The girl half of that couple and I went for a NY’s Day run and when we got back, the boys were up but not yet recovered. They were sitting on the couch, watching one of the sisterhood movies and yelling “give her the pants! you can cure her cancer with the pants” which cracked us up.
Kashi at Cape Island Runners recently posted..New Themes: Blog Simple and Skylark

31 Meaghan June 19, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I literally JUST finished this book last night after staying up way past my bedtime to do so! I didn’t love it – the characters didn’t feel the same to me. But it was a quick read!

32 Genna June 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

I never tout about downloading a book to listen on a run! Great idea! Where do you download it from?
Genna recently posted..Sunday Social

33 Meghann June 20, 2012 at 10:06 am

I get them off of iTunes, but I would check out your local library for options too!

34 Nici828 August 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I did love this book. It was a bit depressing since the sad part involved my favorite character of Tibby. But it was really great to know about them 10 years into the future. I also feel that death is a natural part of life and it does happen to you and it happens to everyone. I, myself, have lost a few great friends at a young age because of death and it is sad and a trying time. But reading this helped me realize that everyone grieves in their own way. I finished it in a couple of days and already want to reread it. It is a must read for every fan of the series whether they like the new book or not. I for one will be hoping for another movie!!!