Old Friend

by Meghann on June 17, 2012

I was reunited with an old friend today.

bike.jpg

Hello, Blue!

You know what I like about the bike? It’s okay if you wait until noon to go on a ride. It’s not ideal, but it’s ok. That’s what I did today – I slept in, took care of some work, and waited until noon to ride. Well, leaving at noon wasn’t on purpose, but it worked out.

Blue and I haven’t been out in a while. I keep meaning to take the bike out, but it’s such a pain to lug the bike in and out of the car or make time to find a trail (I WISH I could ride near my house, but it’s just not safe and there are too many intersections to worry about). Since Derek was spending the majority of the day golfing with his dad, I decided to seize the free time I had and go for a long overdue ride.

20120617_124536.jpg

I didn’t do anything special this time out, just 7.5 miles out and 7.5 miles back on my favorite cycling trail. It was hot on the bike, but not as hot as it would have been on a run at that hour. I never felt like I was going to die of heat exhaustion, so that was a big plus. ;)

After I finished my ride, I grabbed a to-go lunch from a local health store’s deli.

Unfortunately it was all kinda bland an flavorless – not sure I would grab food from this place again.

(three bean phyllo pastry and curry vegetables)

I had a bit of shopping to do for the first part of the afternoon. I found some silver shoes to wear for my sister’s wedding, found a dress for the rehearsal (wasn’t planning on getting one, but stumbled upon the “perfect dress” – funny how that always happens when you’re not looking), and grocery shopping for the week.

When I dropped the bags off, I made a snack plate of cheese, cucumber, and hummus.

Then I grabbed my iPad and headed to Starbucks to finish this month’s book club selection: The Art of Racing in the Rain.

I know, i know… book club meets on Tuesday – I was cutting it close trying to read 200+ pages today -but this was a very sad, somewhat depressing book and it took me a while to get into in. Every time I tried to pick it up over the last month, I would break down in tears and not want to read on because I was afraid of what was going to happen next. This book just broke my heart.

I’ll wait and share the rest of my review the book until after our book clubs meets Tuesday, but I’m charge of selecting next month’s book and was hoping for a little help. What’s a great, upbeat book our book club should read next month?

Derek and I enjoyed dinner at his parents’ house tonight.

My plate filled with all the good stuff. :)

We had leftover pie and ice cream at home for dessert. ;)

Love, love, love that berry pie. :)

Alright.

Time for bed.

Good Night!!

1 Sana June 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm

:) Bike riding is so much fun :)!
Sana recently posted..Friends and A Celebration

2 Army Amy* June 17, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I’m always jealous of bike riders for that very reason! You can do it any time of the day!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Homemade Ice Cream

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 17, 2012 at 11:21 pm

You always make me wish I had a bike! And I did but because I never felt “safe” on it and I don’t like riding in LA (it scares me!), I decided to sell it. Maybe with my next move I’ll be able to buy a bike and ride around feeling safe.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..That’s Life

4 Jane June 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I seriously need to buy a bike! Everytime you talk about Blue I swoooon.
Jane recently posted..Greens.

5 Kate June 18, 2012 at 12:17 am

I’m not sure if it’s published in the U.S., but The Birth House is a fantastic read. It’s about a young girl who ends up in the care of a midwife in an isolated town. A great story about strong women, and the battle between traditional and modern medicine. Just something to think about.

6 Jenny B June 18, 2012 at 1:16 am

The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell…. so much fun! Very light but fun reading…

7 mary @ minutespermile June 18, 2012 at 6:09 am

Just read the book review- sounds sad, but interesting? Hope the next 199 pages are good!
mary @ minutespermile recently posted..go go go round 2

8 CampingGirl June 18, 2012 at 6:55 am

I read that book over march break in Cuba and quietly cried behind my sunglasses. Such a good book but really emotional!
CampingGirl recently posted..Week 3 Breakfast

9 Lee June 18, 2012 at 7:58 am

Despite the sobfest that it brought on, I loved that book!
Lee recently posted..Let’s Go Brav…Orioles!

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 18, 2012 at 8:06 am

Dinner looks great! That berry pie sure does look tasty :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Another Meeting with Teresa Giudice from Real Housewives of New Jersey!…

11 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes June 18, 2012 at 8:33 am

I just started “The Art of Fielding” by Chad Harbach, and I can’t put it down!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Father’s Day Festivities

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 18, 2012 at 8:43 am

I loved that book! It always makes me wonder what my brother’s dog, Molly, is really thinking…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..I’m A Solemate!

13 Emily N June 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

Nice job getting out there on your bike. And I completely get that “derek is golfing, I have free time” thing. Its the same way with J and I!
Emily N recently posted..A Birthday Question, and more with the Vitamix

14 Hillary June 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

After a string of really sad, scary, depressing books last year, I ended up reading The Happiness Project. It’s non-fiction, but I think it could still work for the book club!
Hillary recently posted..Summer Things

15 Dana June 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love Bossypants by Tina Fey. It’s pretty funny and up beat.
Dana recently posted..The Break Up

16 Whitney June 18, 2012 at 9:52 am

The best book that my book club has read in the past year is The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach.

HIGHLY recommended.
Whitney recently posted..sour cherry jam with balsamic

17 Meghann June 18, 2012 at 10:51 am

googling now! thanks!

18 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

I found a great bike on Craigslist and have been waffling as to whether or not I should buy it. You make biking look and sound like so much fun! Maybe I’ll be sending an email to the bike owner in the very near future!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Tri Hard

19 Meghann June 18, 2012 at 10:51 am

How exciting! Email away!

20 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) June 18, 2012 at 10:22 am

Ah, this is a great reminder for me to pull out my bike! Though I guess I need to get a child’s seat to attach to it before I take off :)

21 Lauren June 18, 2012 at 10:29 am

Silver shoes for your sister’s wedding on Saturday and an unplanned dress for the rehearsal dinner on Friday?

I can’t believe I did the exact same thing – except my sister is getting married in SC on Saturday.

Congrats to your sisters!

22 Meghann June 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

Congrats to your sister as well!

23 Catherine June 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’ve been reading a TON of YA fiction so I have a bunch of recommendations in that genre, but a book (while not super upbeat, but not quite as sad) I really loved was The Night Circus.
Catherine recently posted..The Results are in…

24 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I thought Driving Sideways by Jess Riley was a great read, perfect for a book club. It’s about a woman who got a kidney transplant and a new lease on life. She goes on a cross country road trip, in search of her absent mom, the kidney donor’s family and what the rest of her life should look like. It’s not upbeat in a traditional sense, but def gives you that “wow, I like life” feeling, it has a funny tone and makes you want to drive cross country!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Kashi Classic 50-Miler Race Report, Part 1

25 Mary June 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm

That book made me sob uncontrollably…you know you are a dog person when it affects you like that! A different type of book is Second Glance by Jodi Picoult – all her books are so different usually with a twist at the end (if you saw the movie My Sister’s Keeper the ending in the book is completely different).