more ยป" />

Daddy’s Day

by Meghann on June 17, 2012

Happy Father’s Day to best daddy a girl could ask for!

Love you, Dad!

As luck would have it my dad was randomly in Tampa this morning. He drove over last minute with the rest of the bachelor party crew yesterday and stayed overnight with the party people. I was so excited with the prospect of being in the same city as my dad for Father’s Day that I called him yesterday to see if he wanted to get breakfast this morning. His response? Nope. Pshh…

I didn’t tell him that today was Father’s Day and something tells me he just plain forgot. If it wasn’t for people wishing him “Happy Birthday” on January 6th every year, I’m pretty sure he would forget his own birthday, or if my Mom didn’t nag him about November 13th, he would probably forget their anniversary too. My dad actually has all of his kids’ birthdays programmed in his phone as a reminder to when they are. If you were to take his phone away right now and ask him what day my birthday is, he would probably fluster and be lucky to come up with the month of February. It’s more amusing than anything. That’s my dad and I love him… even if he can’t remember dates to save his life.

I spent this morning trying to recall any special Father’s Day memories, but they all sort of melt together. Honestly, I think every Sunday was Father’s Day in my dad’s eyes growing up. My mom’s a nurse and was always on call when we were kids, so a lot of weekends were just my dad and the four kids. Instead of keeping us locked up and bored at home, he took us on adventures. He took the four of us to the theme parks, to the beach, shopping, etc. etc. all on his own. He even brought all four kids (by himself!) on multiple vacations. We flew to the rockies to ski, spent more than a few weekends camping near the springs, and even took a two-week trip out west, rented an RV and road tripped it through the National Parks (keep in mind we were all under the age of 12 at the time and he was the sole driver of the trip). My dad was a great dad – the BEST! – and I never heard him complain one single time. We also never turned down a chance to spend time with him, my dad was my best friend growing up – he still is.

So I don’t get to see him this Father’s Day (he didn’t want to leave the bachelor festivities and said I would see him Wednesday), but I don’t need a day to tell my dad he is the best, because I make sure to tell him every chance I get. Maybe that’s why my dad forgot it was Father’s Day as well? He doesn’t need it either. He turned breakfast down because he knew it wasn’t a once-a-year thing, it’s an all-the-time thing.

Father’s Day is every day in our family. :)

Ben's album 010.jpg

In lieu of breakfast out with my dad, I simply toasted some leftover waffles for a simple breakfast.

Waffles + peanut butter + strawberries + walnuts

Works for me. :)

Are you doing anything special with your dad today?

1 Nanci June 17, 2012 at 11:20 am

What a great post! I was laughing as I was reading it, the part about your dad not knowing important dates without the reminder of his phone. SOOOO my dad. I would have to remind him of my mom’s birthday and their anniversary. He knew the month, but not the day. It was my job to remind him, and to keep him out of trouble, lol.

2 Grace June 17, 2012 at 11:29 am

I won’t be with my Dad or Step Dad today, I’m babysitting my 5 year old cousin while his Mom and Dad go to Game Three tonight. Fingers crossed I can keep him occupied today!

3 Army Amy* June 17, 2012 at 11:46 am

You look a lot like your dad in that top picture! I actually just got off the phone with my dad. He lives in Florida and I’m in Texas, so we won’t be spending time together. He seemed pretty happy that I called, though. He said, “It’s a red letter day!” Ha!*

4 Sana June 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

You should have reminded your dad it was his day!

5 mary @ minutespermile June 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

what a cool plate! i think breakfast is one meal that’s just as good (if not better) at home rather than out. awesome that you got to spend time with your dad.

6 Kathy June 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Nice post and family picture…

My dad lives 4 hours away and we saw him a couple of weekends ago so a phone call will have to be enough for this Father’s Day…..although, when I did call we too kind of laughed and said every day is a bit like Father’s Day for him. He loves his kids around …he loves doing things with his grandkids….and he is ever so giving, generous and accepting of us all.

7 Hillary June 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm

My brother and I made brunch for my dad today; I love that we all live close enough that we can do things like that!

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Haha I call it Daddy’s day too! I called my dad this morning and talked with him for a while, he lives in Kansas City and I’m in Chicago, so I didn’t get to see him, but it was great to talk to him!

9 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 17, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Your dad sounds like an awesome man. :)

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I was a major FAIL for Father’s Day for my Dad this year. I totally spaced on getting a card till Thursday. He lives 1/2 way across the country so there was no way he was going to get in before today. When I called this morning, my parents weren’t home. Opps!

11 samantha @ peach in the city June 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm

cute picture :)

12 Holly June 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I was spending the day with my fiance’s family from Chicago so I went to a baseball game last week with my Dad and Step-Dad.

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 17, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Unfortunately I didn’t get to see my dad today since he’s 1/2 way across the country (and actually ALL the way across the country because my rents visited my sister this weekend) but we were able to celebrate when I was home a few weeks ago and that was a good time.

14 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Had a great day with my dad- we helped him open their pool so it was nice to be able to do something for him :) We also got him a fancy sailing shirt, which he had mentioned he wanted and ate a delcious bar b que. great day for an awesome dad!