more ยป" />

Wedding: Maddie… the 5th Bridesmaid?

by Meghann on June 14, 2012

Recently I’ve had a couple of people ask whether we planned to include Maddie in our wedding ceremony or not.

I can see why the question would come up. I mean how adorable would Maddie be as a the ring carrier?

Dog ring bearer.jpg

(source: http://carlydaniel.com)

Or a 5th bridesmaid?

Dog-Bridesmaid.jpg

(source: http://lovethatserendipity.com)

One thing is for certain, Maddie would not be lacking in the cuteness factor.

Am I right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

However, as adorable or cute Maddie may be, she will not be there when we say “I do.”

Both Derek and I love Maddie to pieces. She’s our fur daughter and a huge part of our little family, but the truth is that it just isn’t practical to include her. She’s shy around crowds, isn’t a fan of strange men or small children, and – if we put her in the middle of the ceremony – I’m not sure what she would do besides jump up both of our legs begging to be placed in the arms of mommy and daddy safety.

CIMG6981.JPG

The other worry would be what to do with Maddie once the ceremony was over. We would have to rely on a friend or family member to get her back to my parents’ house quickly, which would just be another stressor to worry about when we should both be enjoying our party.

That being said, since I’ll be getting ready at my parents’ house, there is a slight chance Maddie and I can get a few shots together before I head to the wedding site.

I’m still not 100% sure she’ll even stay with us, though. I’m toying with the idea of leaving her with a friend that weekend, which might benefit her more in the end. That way she’ll get all the love and attention she needs, I won’t have to worry that Maddie is being ignored, and Maddie won’t have to deal with the new people that I’m sure will be going in and out of the house.

We still have a few months to decide on that. We’ll see. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you include your family pet in any of your wedding festivites?

1 Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! June 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I absolutely want Daxter and (hopefully if he’ll still be alive by then) Harry in my wedding, in some capacity. Not that this is anything I’ll have to worry about for a loooong time, but still, haha. I can’t imagine having them NOT be there! I would just task someone (my brother maybe) with taking them home in between ceremony and reception, I think.
Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! recently posted..The Good Life

2 Rachel June 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm

i wish Woodford was going to be in our wedding ๐Ÿ™ But with a destination wedding, it’s just going to be too much trouble.

I promised to bring him souvenirs and he’ll definitely be in the engagement photos.
Rachel recently posted..OPA!

3 Lauren June 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

We were married in a Vegas chapel which is not very dog friendly so they stayed at a doggy ranch near our home which wad probably way better for them anyway.Our original plan was to be married in my parent’s front yard (in Laguna beach) and our dogs most definitely would have been included because they would have had a place to escape to. Unfortunately for us and the pups my parents were given the go ahead to remodel their home so we couldn’t be married in a construction zone but Vegas was super fun.
Lauren recently posted..Stories From Last Week

4 Brie June 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Plus, you never know if you’re going to have guests that are allergic or afraid of dogs.

Our dog and two cats were featured on our table numbers. We posed them with wooden numbers and got some hilarious shots. There are pics in the wedding section of my blog! The guests loved them and our animals were safe and sound being boarded.
Brie recently posted..D.C.

5 Sandy June 14, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Including Maddie in the festivities sounds like a great idea but you know her best. I love how you are thinking of her and wanting what is best for her. I love great pet owners like you (and me)!

6 Grace @ Grace Dishes June 14, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I think it would be so cute to include Maddie in your wedding but you raise really good points!

I think my sister dreams of having her puppy in her wedding but hasn’t really thought through the logistical part of it hahha!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Cruisers and Crates, Cotton Flannel Lounge Pants by getyourgameon

7 Elisa June 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm

We got married on a cruise ship so bringing out dog was obviously out of the picture. So we had our ring boy carry a stuffed version of our dog with the rings attached.

8 erica June 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm

i wanted to include our yorkie in the festivities but we got married at a hotel and dogs were not allowed on premesis. ๐Ÿ™

he went to spend the day w/his “girlfriend” peanut and peanut’s mommy took them to a pet expo so he didn’t seem to mind ;p
erica recently posted..worth the wait

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I think that’s the best idea, as cute as she would be, I’m not sure she would enjoy it too much! Very, very cute though…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

10 Melissa June 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I’m not using any pets, but my friend did for her wedding in April. Dudley the (strong) English bulldog was the ring bearer – he actually had the rings in a bag tied to his collar. He can be very enthusiastic so as a bridesmaid in the wedding I was skeptical, but it actually turned out just fine.
Melissa recently posted..Graduation

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 14, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I have never heard of people including their pets in their weddings…definitely an interesting idea.

12 Emily N June 15, 2012 at 8:32 am

We didn’t include our dog (we only had one at the time) either, despite J’s thoughts that she would look amazing in a tutu. Let’s be honest though, she is bad. ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily N recently posted..IOU…

13 MissPinkkate June 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Our chihuahua stayed home. She’s not friendly, she’s not a fan of huge crowds, and she can never relax in public when there’s lots of stuff going on. We showed her the pictures later.

14 Sarah June 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm

We have a JRT too and I thought I totally wanted her in our wedding at the time. She was young so we could have worked to train her and all, but in the end it never became a priority and was too much added stress at the last minute.

Looking back, I’m glad we didn’t include her. I didn’t want a dog to upstage me! Plus, I think about looking back at the photos decades from now, I’d think it was silly and a bit juvenile.

15 Kim June 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm

We were married in St Pete on the beach & my mom brought her 6 lb malti-poo in a covered stroller, it was perfect. She slept through most of the ceremony, and was a big hit at the outdoor reception. I even have a couple of pictures of her smooching me, full hair & makeup ๐Ÿ™‚ Couldn’t imagine our wedding without my “favorite little sister”.