Shoe Talk

by Meghann on June 14, 2012

Meet the Brooks Glycerin 10s.

She’s a beauty isn’t she? I like the black and pink combo. Sorta bad ass.

I’ve been a Brooks runner for a couple of years now, more specifically I’ve been a Brooks Glycerin 8 runner. I fell in love with the shoe back in early 2010 and began hoarding the 8s when they stopped making them sometime last year. I’m a superstitious runner and I was afraid switching to the 9s would be like running a whole different shoe. I was wrong.

This is Kira.

Kira is the go-to shoe girl at Brooks. She knows everything there is to know their shoes, and spent 20 minutes tonight explaining the key difference between the Glycerin 8s and 10s and why she felt the Glycerin line had finally hit their stride with the 10s.

She first explained there were key differences in what they consider “revolutionary” changes and “evolutionary” changes. It is true that sometimes they will turn a shoe upside down and release something that is complete different from its formal model. That would be a “revolutionary” change. But the majority of the time the changes are slight and only meant to enhance the shoe that is already in place. Those are “evolutionary” changes.

The Glycerin line did go through a revolutionary change for the 8, but the 9 and 10 are just minor, evolutionary changes. The great cushiony, springy shoe base and grip that I love about the shoe are still there, but now the shoe has an omega patterned bottom and rubber that continues around the whole bottom, instead of breaking in the middle.

Kira is good. She sold me on the 10. I was sent a pair last week to try and now that I’ve been educated on the shoe, I’m even more excited to try it.

Kira also talked me into the new Brooks PureCadence line. It’s a lighter weight shoe that allows your to connect to the ground a little more. I think they would be great for triathlon season. Has anyone tested these shoes out before? Thoughts?

You know you’re a running nerd when… you spend 30 minutes talking running shoes to a complete stranger and never get bored.

At least I was in good company, I mean running shoes are kind of a big deal around here. ;)

Hello, running shoe heaven!

Tonight was Brooks open house for introducing their latest line to the media and giving a sneak peek into the technology that goes into them.

Have you ever mixed cornstarch and water? Apparently when you combine the two if gives the same cushiony reaction as you would feel in your shoe. If you punch it, it’s hard, but if you play with it gently it will ooze from your brings. It was pretty cool actually.

And, not only did we learn a thing or two about Brooks latest line of shoes, we got to act a fool in the process.

Jess, Jenn, Janae, Theodora, and Ashley = RunHappy!

hehe

There were passed appetizers

IMG_5150.JPG IMG_5145.JPG

Red Wine

And shoes galore.

The puredrift line doesn’t go public until January. I’m intrigued. Very intrigued.

All in all, it was a fun event. I think I shall dream of running shoes and finish lines tonight. ;)

Our group left the event with plans of eating at our hotel’s gastropub, but the 45 minute wait at 8:00pm turned us away. The amazing Theodora did a bit of Yelpin’ and found us a barbecue joint a couple of blocks away with no wait. Sold.

The place (Hill Country) was interesting. You were seated and handed a meal ticket to order your food with. When you were ready you would bring the meal ticket to the food counter and they would give you your food and mark it off on the ticket.

It was barbecue, so it was meat heavy. You could order the meat by the pound or whatever increment was listed. They also had a separate side counter.

I ordered 1/2 a chicken (but somehow got two?) with a side of corn pudding and cucumber salad.

The chicken was really moist, but needed some extra BBQ sauce to give it any flavor. I ended up polishing off all off the cucumber salad and about 1/4 of the corn pudding.

I also brought a chocolate chunk cookie home with me.

The chocolate chunks were huge and basically made up the whole center of the cookie. I ate about half and plan on saving the rest for tomorrow. :)

I’m taking my first ever SoulCycle class in the morning. I wanted to try one fun workout class while I was in the city and that was my pick. I’ve heard a lot of good things – I can’t wait!

Good night!

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 14, 2012 at 12:12 am

That seems like such a cool event! To have the opportunity to really learn about the shoes we wear and the technology that goes into them is so cool!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Banana Bread Gathering

2 Sana June 14, 2012 at 12:15 am

Soulcycle seems to be the most awesome fitness class in NY!
Sana recently posted..Beyond Barre at Potomac Pilates + Tasc Performance

3 Hannahviolin June 14, 2012 at 12:16 am

I wear the Pure Cadence–I got them for running, and they work well for me for shorter distances (5k or less) but I LOVE them at the gym for weight lifting. I’m jealous of the pink pair though, mine are the original turquoise.
Hannahviolin recently posted..Oat (meal) bag…get your oat (meal) bag now…oat (meal) bag time for me!

4 Amanda June 14, 2012 at 12:19 am

My favorite radio show host goes to Soul Cycle! Hope you have Laurie Cole as a teacher!!

5 RunInBoise June 14, 2012 at 12:59 am

I love my Pure Cadences. I want a pair of those pink ones so bad. I am so jealous I didn’t get to NY. It looks like such a fun event!
RunInBoise recently posted..Klutch Club Review

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 14, 2012 at 1:13 am

Sounds like a really fun night! I love learning the technology behind things!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Another Day At Work

7 Kristen June 14, 2012 at 5:11 am

I’ve had the Pure cadence and pure flow for about 6 months now and love them. I wear them to do my strength training and other cardio (except running) at the gym. They take a little used to getting comfy in because the heel drop is diffferent then in a running shoe.

8 cathy@1970kikiproject June 14, 2012 at 6:09 am

wow, i would have loved to attend the brooks session (love the ghosts, run in them all the time). i work in a running store and geek out over shoe info, too!
thanks for sharing about “revolutionary” vs “evolutionary” updates – i am going to use those terms with my customers! easy to understand!
have fun today!!
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..the eyes have it

9 Sneakers2sandals June 14, 2012 at 6:45 am

That stuff is called Oobleck! Ive used it in classrooms as a science experiment with kids. You talk about whether it’s a solid or a liquid or both.

Ps. What a freaking cool afternoon with Brooks!!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..A Slow Cooker Recipe and Why Run?

10 Lisa June 14, 2012 at 7:21 am

I used to wear the Defyance and then I went to the Glycerin. When Brooks released the Pure Project I got a pair of the Cadence. I am on my second pair and they have worked great for me! I trained and ran my first marathon in them. I am also partial to Brooks. Don’t really want to try anyone else. It’s almost like a car. Once you are stuck with one brand you don’t want to try anyone else! Love Brooks!!!

11 Kristie June 14, 2012 at 7:36 am

Just a heads up – you might want to save the PureCadence for shorter distance stuff if you want to use it for a triathlon. I’ve heard that when you’re doing longer distance triathlons (like half and full ironmans) that you want to have the best shoe for your gait because your body is so tired by the run that your form suffers.

12 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 14, 2012 at 7:59 am

What a fun event! I love my brooks sneakers for running! They’re always the ones that fit me the best. I love the new colors!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

13 Stef @ Living HI June 14, 2012 at 8:02 am

I just bought the Brooks Pure Cadence and I LOVE them! They have wonderful cushion in the heel and support in the arch, yet they are lightweight and you feel very connected to the ground. They are my first pair of Brooks shoe, and I can’t foresee buying a different pair.

14 Meister, Running While Smiling June 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

That’s awesome: I’m a Brooks lover, too, and just bought my first pair of Launches to alternate with my standby Ghost 4s (about to upgrade to 5s). Cool that you got a sneak peek!

15 The Linz (Beyond Destination 26.2) June 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

Sounds like a super fun event! I have been wearing the Cadence for a few months now too and have really loved how lightweight and bouncy they feel when I run. It did take a little time to transition from a regular shoe to this one due to the heel drop. Also I’m a pretty bad heal striker, so when I started working on my midfoot strike in the cadence I liked the shoes even better.
The Linz (Beyond Destination 26.2) recently posted..Life

16 Alex June 14, 2012 at 8:31 am

Can you ever go wrong with BBQ? I think not.
Alex recently posted..Opening tonight: June 14th

17 Amber June 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

I am a Brooks fan all the way! I enjoy their ghost shoe, partially because nobody else makes a shoe wide enough for my foot and partially because it gives me everything I need in a running shoe. I did try the PureConnect and that I had to return. The shoe was so light and comfortable but the soles of the shoe were shredding after just 6 uses. It was sad for me to return those as I am a true Brooks fan. Shoes, clothes or whatever I have always enjoyed what they produce and look forward to seeing all the new improvements they have done. Awesome event!! Thanks for sharing!

18 Katherine June 14, 2012 at 9:24 am

Sounds fun! My friends just had a very non-traditional wedding at Hill Country last week! It was fun, but definitely a little tough for me to eat! (vegetarian)

Hope you’re liking New York so far :)

19 Carly June 14, 2012 at 9:56 am

Did Brooks talk at all about discontinuing the Green Silence? I am so sad about that…
Carly recently posted..AmpliTube ‘Slash’ Signature Edition for iPhone and iPad Review

20 Meghann June 19, 2012 at 11:56 am

Sorry Carly – we didn’t chat about the Green Silence. I’m sure their customer service team can help!

21 Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities June 14, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’m always nervous about trying a different type of shoe and how it will affect my running. Especially since running shoes are so expensive and there are so many different types and brands. You know what’s worked in the past, but you don’t know if another shoe will work worse, or even sometimes better than your last pair. Comfort definitely matters when you’re gonna be running for several hours in them.
Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities recently posted..Bananas Over Apples

22 Courtney June 14, 2012 at 10:12 am

Hah, a good running shoe conversation never disappoints. I like the Asics Kayano line :)
Courtney recently posted..ModCloth and Home

23 Cait's Plate June 14, 2012 at 10:13 am

Looks like so much fun!! I just adore Brooks and their whole brand.

Good luck with SoulCycle! I’ve heard it’s no joke!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Morning at The Office

24 Meghann Anderson June 14, 2012 at 10:21 am

First off, this is my actual name, I’m not trying to copy you. I actually found your blog while “googling” myself.

I recently purchased the Brooks Pure Cadence shoes and I love them. I have the highlighter yellow/pink combo and I love the fun colors and ALWAYS get a reaction when people see the fun colors.

For being a lighter shoe they have great support! I was an Ascis girl all through high school and just recently become a Brooks lover.

Sidenote: I lOVE your blog. I pretty much visit it everyday. Happy Running ;)

25 samantha @ peach in the city June 14, 2012 at 10:26 am

fun! btw, your hotel looks AWESOME.
samantha @ peach in the city recently posted..staying positive

26 The Blissful Baker June 14, 2012 at 10:39 am

This looks like it was a blast! I’m a little jealous :)
The Blissful Baker recently posted..Cowboy Caviar

27 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

What is Soulcycle? Can’t wait to hear about it!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Strike Out ALS 5k

28 Meghann June 14, 2012 at 4:30 pm

It’s a cycling studio in NYC that kind of takes a nontraditional approach to cycling classes by incorporating push-ups, sit-ups, and other weight bearing moves on the bike. i’m writing about it right now. :)

29 Candice June 14, 2012 at 10:59 am

I just got the pure cadence 2 weeks ago and LOVE them, I have always been a mizuno girl till now. I LOVE these shoes, they fit like a glove and have just enough support right where I need it!
Candice recently posted..Brinner

30 Megan @ The Delightfull Dash June 14, 2012 at 11:02 am

That looks like such a fun event! Enjoy the rest of your time in NY!

Do you know if Brooks makes a wide width?
Megan @ The Delightfull Dash recently posted..What’s Your Mantra?

31 Meghann June 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm

(from my contact at Brooks) Yes – Brooks does offer wide versions of some of their shoes. The Ghost, Glycerin, Defyance and Dyad all come in a Wide option. The Dyad also comes in Extra Wide.

32 Megan @ The Delightfull Dash June 14, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thanks Meghann! I’m new to running and wasn’t aware of the Brooks brand, so I’ll have to check them out!
Megan @ The Delightfull Dash recently posted..What’s Your Mantra?

33 Madison June 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

LOVE my pure cadence shoes. I have always run in Brooks shoes and have slowly transitioned into their minimal/lightweight shoes. I started with the Glycerin’s, moved to the Launch, and now run in the Pure Cadence. As much as I loved them, after wearing a lightweight shoe, I feel like I have bricks attached to my feet whenever I put on the Glycerin’s!

34 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 14, 2012 at 11:44 am

What an awesome event! How cool that you got to see all of the behind-the-scenes stuff. I’m so jealous!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

35 Rachel June 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

I tried the pure cadence on last week and i thought they felt a little cheap and they might fall apart.

i love the glycerin’s, but i mainly run in nike free – similar to the pure cadence but i feel like there is more substance to the upper to make them feel more stable.

36 cam@mtl-fitness June 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm

WOW, I really wish I acn go to an event like this someday! I’m a Brooks girl too, the Ghost ones. I bought a pair of PureCadence this year and really like it! It’s for short distances and make your legs work extra hard!

37 Hilary June 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Love love love the Brooks PureCadence. I actually just ordered my third pair, despite the fact that I haven’t even taken my second pair out the of the box (what? obviously I need to collect them in every color!). They are super cushy and have really helped me develop my mid-foot strike.

38 Emily N June 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Your brooks event looks AMAZING. I am looking forward to hearing if the pure line is one you like for Tris.
Emily N recently posted..IOU…

39 Emily@SavoryandSavage June 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I love it that you are trying a new class while in NYC – I had the goal to do a long run in Central Park when I there visiting last fall. The run was glorious!

Have fun in the big city!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Why my dogs think I’m crazy

40 Heather June 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

those shoes are so pretty! I have a thing for pretty running shoes.
Heather recently posted..Coca-Cola: America is Your Park

41 Annette @FitnessPerks June 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

What a great event!! Talking shoes IS the cool thing to do ;)

HOW was soul cycle?!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Workouts & Scenes of The Houseboat Vacation

42 Meghann June 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm

It was good – definitely an experience! I’m trying to catch up on blog posts now to share details :)

43 Leslie June 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Sounds like so much fun! I’m also a Brooks girl. I work in a Virginia running store and LOVE the new Pure line. I use the Pure connect for cycling and love it; but as I over pronate like crazy, I need the stability in the Pure Cadence for running.

44 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 14, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Shoes n’ wine – they know the way to a woman’s heart!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Salad & Salad

45 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Ohh, I wanna try the 10s… although I am sorry to hear they are more like the 9s than the 8s. I like the 8s sooo much and now can’t find anymore in my size. But the 9s will do and I am sure the 10s will too!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

46 Michelle June 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Meghann,

Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ask Brooks if they will ever change the colors for the Adrenaline line for those of us with bigger wider feet? I have been emailing and calling for years. I am tired (and quite honestly sad and jealous) that there are fun colored shoes for people with littler feet… (insert sad face here) and I have only been able to run in the Brooks brand – they do ROCK after all. Blue and silver, boring….. white and blue, boring… I want neon! I want black and neon! I want obnoxious fun colors! Big feeted Brooks runners UNITE! ;-)

Looks like a fantastic event and lots of fun! You are one LUCKY LUCKY lady!

47 Meghann June 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hi Michelle, Just checking in to let you know I reached out to the Brooks team on this one and am still waiting to hear back. I’ll connect to you offline as soon as I have an answer!

48 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions June 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh man, that looks like my kind of an event! I love talking about running shoes…I’m such a nerd haha.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

49 Jayme June 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hi Meghann,

I bought Brooks Glycerin 9s today (I live in Paris; was happy to find a good running store with shoes other than mediocre run of the mill nike/adidas “trainers”) – I thought of all your guys’ posts from your visit to NYC. Thanks for all the info on Brooks shoes, I really hadn’t thought of them as the “go-to” for running shoes (I was originally looking at Saucony’s), until I started reading all the info on your blog (and the other bloggers who were there with you). I have confidence in these shoes! Hoping all goes well in breaking them in.

Cheers and run happy :)

50 Meghann June 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm

This makes me happy! Enjoy!