Aced

by Meghann on June 13, 2012

Hellloooooo New York City!!!

Did you miss me? I missed you!

My flight this morning was quick and painless. No delays, no turbulance, and no snoring neighbors – victory!

I landed just around lunch time and was whisked away to the city by a driver named Ted (Hi Ted!). Unfortunately my mid-day arrival was a tad early for check-in at my hotel and my room wasn’t ready yet. The girl at the front was super sweet and helpful with the dilemma, she took my bag for safe keeping and highly recommended I check out No. 7 Sub around the corner for lunch. She mentioned something about “creative subs with a twist” and “zucchini parm topped with bbq potato chips,” I was sold.

No. 7 Sub was a tiny place with just enough room for a walk-up service counter and a menu. As soon as I saw the varied, creative sub options I knew I had found a winner. On top of the “Zucchini Parm” (which did in fact include bbq chips in the sub), there was the “Tilapia Melt” with havarti cheese, shredded cabbage, and fried garlic, the “CHEESE” with broccoli sauce, fried chickpeas, and pickled red onions, and “LIVERWURST [Schaller & Weber]” with braised red cabbage & beets, red onions, and red curry mayo, just to name a few.

They all sounded amazing, but I ended up ordering “BROCCOLI” with lychee muchim, ricotta salata, and pine nuts. Since the place was small, I grabbed it to-go and brought it back to the hotel’s lobby to eat.

Unfortunately it was really dark inside, so I don’t have the best photo of just how awesome this sandwich was but, trust me, it was pretty dang awesome.

The broccoli gave the sandwich some bulk and a nice crunch, while the ricotta and lychee gave it a touch of sweetness. The whole thing was delicious. I would order it again in a heartbeat! :)

Luckily, after I finished up my lunch (and spent some time catching up on emails and other to-dos) my room was ready.

I’m staying at The Ace Hotel, which is a fun boutique hotel off of Broadway. It has that refurbished hipster vibe and sorta reminds me of what a hostel would look like or how I envisioned dorm rooms should have been like (you know, if dorms had carpet, real walls, or were larger than a 6×6 square <- speaking from personal experience here).

IMG_5087.JPG IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5097.jpg IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5105.jpg IMG_5107.JPG

IMG_5113.jpg IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg IMG_5121.JPG

Basically, they took a theme and ran with it. Me like.

What’s the coolest/ most unique hotel you’ve ever stayed at?

I think this one definitely wins for most unique on my list!

Mallow Crunchies Winner!

Congrats to Elizabeth for winning the Mallow Crunchies variety pack from The Mallow Bar!!

Elizabeth has already been contacted and her prize pack should be on its way soon. :)

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run June 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

That place looks so awesome!! Have fun on your quick trip!!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..The Girls With Sole Lula 5k

2 erica June 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

wow. that is the most unique hotel i’ve ever seen…i don’t think i’ve ever stayed in anything but the norm.

love it!
erica recently posted..worth the wait

3 Alex June 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

The Ace Hotel is great! I love to go there to enjoy some awesome coffee and just sit there and write. It also has my favorite bathroom in the city (I drink a lot what can I say…) with the line “Love is meant to make us glad” on the mirror, you should check it out.
Alex recently posted..WATCH YOUR STEP in Chelsea

4 Katy @ Couch to 5Katy June 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Best hotel: Hotel Jazz in Barcelona, Spain. It may have helped that they upgraded us to a suite just because they liked us, but it was super modern and had a rooftop pool that overlooked the downtown area and the beach!
Katy @ Couch to 5Katy recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Sensible Snacking

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

What a cool hotel! We just recently stayed at one in downtown Atlanta that was pretty unique. I love staying at hotels that are outside of the norm!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Ben and Jerry know what’s up.

6 Dori June 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I’ve been to a suite in the Ace Hotel! Last year when I was filming that Bing video I went there to have my hair and makeup done. It’s such a cool spot!
Dori recently posted..Women’s Mini 10K 2012 Race Recap

7 Lori Lynn June 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm

The summer after my Jr year in High School I went on a 9 day tour of London and Paris with a group in my High School. Though we stayed at a really cruddy hotel in London, our Paris hotel made up for it. We had a balcony in our bathroom! Our bathroom was almost twice as big as our hotel we stayed at in London!

8 judi0044 June 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm

We stayed there last year. If your bathroom has a step-up/down watch out! (: I kept forgetting and nearly fell – oops. If you like coffee be sure to try Stump Town – Portland at its finest. Just know they only take cash.

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 13, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I’ve never seen a hotel like that! The closest o’ve gotten to an interesting hotel is Caesar’s Palace in Vegas, but the rooms were pretty normal
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Another Day At Work

10 Melissa June 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Hey Meg! You seem to go to NYC a lot. Would you ever consider doing a post about things you recommend when going to the Big Apple? As someone who’s planning a 3-day trip for next month, it’s so overwhelming for the first-time visitor. I love reading HLBs with travel sections, (way, WAY better than Trip Adviser, b/c I seem to think some of the “reviews” are shills) so it’d be cool to see a post on your recommendations as far as attractions, food, hotels, etc.

11 Meghann June 15, 2012 at 9:41 am

I only go 2 or 3 times a year… is that a lot? ;) Honestly, I never do the same thing twice when I go! Everything is a new experience! If you check out my travels page you can look at my past NYC visits to see what we were up to http://mealsandmiles.com/my-favorite-posts/travels/ I’m not sure I’m brave enough to write a “what to do in NYC” post just yet. Like I said, every time I go I still feel like a newbie.

12 Annette @FitnessPerks June 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Oooh that does look like a cool hotel! ENJOY :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Houseboat Vacay Delights

13 Melissa June 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Not sure what your schedule is like tomorrow, but I am going to the Core Fusion Bar Class at the Park Ave location at 12:30 if you would like to come with.

14 Meghann June 15, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hi Melissa! I’m sorry, I was a scrambled mess at 12:30 yesterday, otherwise I would have come. I took a Core Fusion class a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, I’m sorry I missed it.

15 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm

You are in my city!! Do you have any spare time? We should meet up for coffee or something?
PS I am googling that sandwich shop now. How did I not know about this??
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Get Passionate about Passion Fruit

16 Meghann June 15, 2012 at 9:42 am

Hi Talia! I’m sorry my schedule was a bit crazy while I was in NYC. Next time I’m up there we should plan something! (Let me know when you try the sandwich shop – it was GOOD)

17 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 15, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Definitely let me know when your next trip is! Hopefully sooner than later:)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..No Posts Were Found!

18 Sarah K June 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I want to go to there
Sarah K recently posted..Behind on Movies

19 Rachael June 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm

What a gorgeous hotel, do you even get to use that camera they provide?!
Rachael recently posted..Grandads’s slides

20 Meghann June 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

Yes! The note encourages guests to take photos during their stay. There’s even film (for a $25 fee) in the mini bar basket.

21 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Mmm…that zucchini park sounds yummy :) Hope you have a great trip!!
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Scrambled eggs in the microwave?

22 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 13, 2012 at 7:03 pm

What a neat hotel! I used to live in New York for a bit but I’ve never heard of that one before! I’ll have to keep it in mind for the future!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

23 Army Amy* June 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm

The hotel looks really cool! Just as I’d imagine a New York City hotel should look!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Deployment is Over

24 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm

My sister works for the Ace Hotel Corporation, she’s at the Palm Springs hotel now – they have Tuesday Taco nights, so fun! :)
Courtney recently posted..Boom! Paleo Waffles

25 Meister, Running While Smiling June 13, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The ACE is great — definitely get yourself a coffee from the Stumptown downstairs in the morning. (Speaking of coffee, if you want some for free you should come visit me at my office, which is almost literally around the corner, on 26th St. I’ll be assisting in an all-day espresso class, so heavens knows we’ll have plenty to go ’round…)

Enjoy your stay in NYC. Glad to have you here!
Meister, Running While Smiling recently posted..Guest Post from Smiling Runner Susan Beachy: Blame It on My M-I-L

26 Ada June 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

My office is right next to the Ace Hotel! You have to try Stumptown Coffee, it’s AMAZING!

27 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 13, 2012 at 8:50 pm

What an awesome looking hotel room! Most hotels I stay in are pretty standard and boring.

Have a fun time in NYC! I can’t wait to hear about all your Brooks fun. I’m an Adrenaline fan!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Healthy Strawberry Crisp – WIAW

28 Drake June 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love the Ace hotel! My family and I all stayed there for a wedding a couple of years ago – my brother and I shared a room and had a great time with the funky bunk beds. Such a cool vibe, hope you’re having a good time!

29 Holly June 13, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I’ve stayed there! Super fun hotel although our room had a black wall with a giant panther on it and it freaked me out a bit!

30 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 14, 2012 at 1:05 am

That’s an AWESOME hotel. Totally has a hipster vibe.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Banana Bread Gathering

31 Kristen June 14, 2012 at 1:38 am

LOVE the design! Wow- now I want to stay here when I go to New York (I’ve never been!)
Kristen recently posted..S’more Party

32 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 14, 2012 at 7:07 am

That hotel is so interesting! I like how the theme is consistent throughout the room. Enjoy NYC! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Out With The Old & In With The New!…

33 SkinnyRunner June 14, 2012 at 11:31 am

i love unique or themed or just plain different hotels so id be all over that. looks like a rad brooks event!

34 Emily N June 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

The hotel seems totally cute! J and I really need to go there together sometime. Plus off Broadway seems ideal for this theater loving couple! :)
Emily N recently posted..IOU…

35 Shanna @Stilettos and Running Shoes June 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I stayed in the original Ace Hotel in Seattle last winter and it was fantastic! I love how off beat, hipster, refurbished nice dorm room it was. Your description was spot on! I lived in Portland for almost 2 years and they have one there with an amazing coffee shop/lounge area that I used to go study/read in. I’m going to NYC this summer and can’t wait to check out this sub place! Thanks for the recommendation!
Shanna @Stilettos and Running Shoes recently posted..ShannaSCook: Who wants to host a #SXSW panel with me this year? I’m serious… already have a few topic ideas. DM me if u want to join!

36 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners June 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Very cool! Looks like a great place. The most unique place I ever stayed was in coast Raic – it was a regular hotel room, but three of the walls were screen so it felt like you were sleeping outside, but with all the amenities of inside! Each bungalow was located far enough from the next that you did not worry about privacy, even in the shower. i’d love to go back there!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

37 Kristen June 14, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I like staying at the Ace too! So close to Eataly, and I love the full sized shampoo/conditioner. Never enough in the small bottles for LONG hair! I usually stay at the Hudson when I am am in the NYC because it is so close to Central Park. Makes going for a run super easy!!

38 Megan June 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

No. 7 Sub is a GREAT spot! I wish I’d read this earlier in the week. You were right around the corner from my office!

As for hotels, the Hudson Hotel is my favorite in nyc. In fact, I love it so much that the outdoor garden terrace is where my fiance proposed! It’s an amazing, well-designed space. Rooms are tiny, though, so I’d recommend just enjoying the hotel’s bars and public spaces on the main floor rather than booking a room there. :)