Wedding: My dress is here!

by Meghann on June 11, 2012

I received a fun little announcement in my inbox last week. ;)

Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 10.42.07 AM.png

(p.s. I like how the email said that this was “just a friendly reminder” when it was really my first and only notification that my dress had arrived. Considering David’s Bridal spams you up the minute you hand over your email address, I’m just lucky I didn’t delete this one as I had deleted the approximate 125 other emails I’d received from them in the last two or three months since I originally ordered my dress. What do you know – they’re not all spam after all.)

I knew my dress was supposed to arrive in June, but it still seemed a bit fast when I received the email that my dress was HERE. June? Already? Craziness.

There was that initial wave of excitement (my dress is here! my dress is here!) and then the stress of making sure I picked my dress up in the 14 day window. My schedule can be a bit crazy and I don’t exactly drive by David’s Bridal on a regular basis. I finally found a date that worked where I could pick it up before swim practice and stash it at my friend Courtney’s house during practice so it wouldn’t just sit in my 100+ degree car for two hours.

Since I was going in at an off time (5:00pm on a Wednesday), the store wasn’t crowded. I was able to head right to the cashier and inform the girl that I was here to pick up my dress. All she needed was my name and my ID and I was good to go.

When she brought it back from the back, she immediately asked if I wanted to try it on. Umm… heck yeah! They gave me a room, brought me one of their “suck it in and push ‘em up” bras and, even though I had already purchased the dress, were really great in assisting me in getting the dress on and off.

I’m not going to lie, as soon as I put the dress on I didn’t get that “wow” feeling I got the first time. Because of my measurements I had to order the dress a size up. It did fit great in some areas, but not so great in others. I didn’t have the “magic clips” to tighten everything the way it should be and the dress sorta hung lifelessly where it should have been hugging smoothly. The girl did bring the clips out to tighten the dress up where it needed to be tightened, but that urge of panic I told myself I wasn’t allowed to feel because I knew this was going to happen began to set in.

When I ordered the dress I knew it wasn’t going to fit perfectly the first time I tried it on. It’s going to require a few alterations to hug it to my body where it needs to hug and those alterations are going to have to wait until a couple of months before the wedding to make them reality. Until then I’ll just have to use my imagination and cross my fingers everything will work out when the time comes!

Another note about David’s Bridal. when they brought the dress out originally it was in a clear plastic bag. I live with my fiance, so obviously that was not going to work. I ended up buying one of their cheap branded garment bags for $10 just out of necessity, which wasn’t that bad of a deal, but just a heads up for anyone else when they pick their dress up from there. If I had known I probably could have brought another garment bag from home or something and saved the $10. (Hey, in wedding planning every dollar counts!)

Now the dress is at home and awkwardly hanging from my closet door since it doesn’t fit in the actual closet.

20120611_102600.jpg

I brought the dress home on Wednesday and Derek worked from home Thursday and Friday. He works in our office (which is where my closet is) and spent 8 hours both days joking how he was going to take a peek when I wasn’t looking. Not funny. Obviously this is a very temporary solution.

Since we live in a small place with closets that have reached their capacities on junk we can squeeze in them, there is no way this dress is staying here. I plan to drop it off at my parents’s house when I head to my sister’s wedding next week. With all the kids out of the house, there are four open bedrooms with four empty closets that my dress could potentially have oodles of room to hang around in. Heck, my dress could even have it’s own bedroom there if it wanted. ;) And since I’m getting married in Titusville anyways, it only makes sense to have my dress hang out there. Problem solved. :)

Where did you store your dress before your wedding?

1 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

My dress is being stored at my fiancé’s mom’s in a nice, clean closet. my parents aren’t alive, or I would probably store it with them!! Getting married in October.
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..Mud Crusade 2012

2 Sarah June 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm

My dress is stored at my parents house. All the kids are gone, so it has it’s own room which was quickly dubbed the “wedding dress room”.
Sarah recently posted..The Beach

3 Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free June 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I had thr same closet issue. My dress ended up staying at my parent’s house so that my hubby couldn’t peek and I wouldn’t be tempted to wear it all the time!
Gabby @ Gabby’s Gluten-Free recently posted..Grain-Free Coconut Lime Donuts

4 Lindsey June 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I stored mine in our basement in a closet we never use, out of sight out of mind, especially since I had it a year before the wedding.
I know what you mean about not having that feeling I was the same way. Since I had it so far before our wedding I also decided I would not look at till I needed to get it altered in case I started re-thinking it. A couple months before the wedding I took it in to be altered and my first fitting was everything I had hoped and I had that “feeling”. It was perfect :)
Lindsey recently posted..Highlights & Coconut Flour Waffles

5 Nikki June 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I also ordered my dress from DB and they hounded me like the SS to pick it up within two weeks–also not easy for me because the store is near my parents’ house and not mine! And I wish they would’ve told me ahead of time that they were going to give my email and phone information to anyone who asked!!
Nikki recently posted..Food vs. Feelings

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 11, 2012 at 12:54 pm

that’s so exciting that your dress is here! And just be happy it wasn’t too tight in places, that’s harder to alter!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Sing You Home

7 Jessie June 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm

That’s so strange that they charged you for that bag! I ordered my dress from David’s Bridal as well, and that bag was included for free (as far as I know…).

My fiance and I also live together, so my dress was stored at my future Mother-in-Law’s house. She has lots of extra closet space!

I totally agree with you about the loss of the “wow” feeling when picking up the dress. I also had to order a size up (well, it fit some measurements). I then lost weight and went down ~2 sizes. I had my first fitting a few weeks ago, and the seamstress asked “Why is it so big?!” Not something I wanted to hear! Although once she had it all pinned I fell back in love with it. I have my second fitting this week, so hopefully it is looking better!

8 Lauren June 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm

“Fiancee” with two e’s is the french word for “wife-to-be.” As you are not a lesbian, you should use the phrase “fiance.”

9 Meghann June 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

The extra “e” was a typo, but thanks for the info. To be honest, I didn’t even know there was a difference for “fiancee” and “fiance” Good to know :)

10 Moira June 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm

you should put a nail at the very top part of the wall in your closet and hang there. when the time comes to press it, unhook the train and let it hang. but it hanging that high it will hopefully not crease the dress

11 Laura @ My Pink Thumb June 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Mine was stored at my parent’s house simply for the same reason.. we just didn’t have enough closet space at home! Now that the wedding has come and gone, it lives hanging up in my basement. ;)

12 Kim @ girlevolving June 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm

That’s weird – I got one of those bags for free when I got married, but that was 4-almost-5 years ago. That stinks you had to pay for it!

I kept my dress at my sister-in-law’s house in their spare bedroom closet.
Kim @ girlevolving recently posted..driving mr. leo

13 Lizzie June 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm

The dress looks pink under that garment bag!!
Lizzie recently posted..Happy Running!

14 Kashi June 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I kept mine at my sister’s for lack of space at my old apt. Worked great!

15 Christine Hetzel@rocketmail.com June 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I kept mine at the store. It was convenient for me in terms of not worrying about it, but I still worried about it. I was “that” bride the one that constantly worried about every little detail until 2 weeks before the wedding and then I was 100% calm and ready. At that point it felt like I had worried myself out. There wasn’t much I could do if something did go wrong…so I just let all the stresses go.

I CANNOT wait to see your “dress reveal”.

16 kirsten June 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I actually left my dress at the store for about 6 months. I had bought a sample so it was ready to go the day I picked it out. They offered to hold it for me so I figured why not.

I actually have pictures of my dress before and after alterations. I bought it in my size and it was still huge in certain places. I am 5’9 and the dress had at least a foot of extra fabric on the bottom. Alterations make SUCH a difference. I was really nervous about it until the dress was finished. Pretty much up until that point I was still looking at dresses online wondering if I could get a new one in time for the wedding. I can send you the pictures if you want to feel better about it, or have a laugh lol.

17 Kimberly June 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

My dress is currently hanging at my parent’s house too! I live with my fiance too, so it wasn’t going to work going with me. It’s a David’s Bridal dress, but I bought it off of Ebay and it came with a really nice garment bag. We’re getting married at Discovery Cove in December and since my parent’s are driving, they’re taking the dress. Now it’s just ready and waiting to be packed into the car :).

18 Jessica June 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm

(hi, I’m Jessica, this is my first time commenting!)

So exciting you got your dress! I had the same problem as you (I lived with my now- husband before we got married). He knew what dress I picked, but was adamant that he was not to see the ACTUAL dress until I was walking up the aisle. It hung on the back of our bedroom door for months before the wedding, and in all that time, he never once peeked. I’d unzip the bag and stare at it for 10 minutes every day, but he never cheated. It would have been nice to have somewhere else to store it.

Sucks you had to pay for a garment bag though. I bought my dress from an independent store and they gave me one for free.

19 CampingGirl June 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

We have a guest room so I just put it in that closet, my sister in law stored hers at my parents house.
I would suggest that when you are going to pick up your dress from the seamstress take your maid of honour with you. The seamstress will teach your moh how to fasten it and how to bustle it should they apply to your dress.
CampingGirl recently posted..Week 2 of the "Skinny Rules"

20 Lindsey June 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Mine is hanging in the closet in our office. My fiance does work in there so we joke that he’s going to peek but he hasn’t. We don’t have anywhere else for it to live so it will just stay there until September!

21 BroccoliHut June 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm

YAY! How exciting!!
I think my sisters stored their dresses at my parents’ house once they arrived. (They all live within 20 minutes of each other in Alabama). I am still waiting on my dress, but now I’m a little nervous that it won’t fit me once it does arrive since I’ve gained a few pounds due to my thyroid. Fingers crossed!

22 Laura June 12, 2012 at 8:53 am

I stored my dress in our guest bedroom closet which was nicknamed the wedding dress room. My fiance never tried to peek-he wanted to be surprised! I also got my dress through DB and they wanted to charge $10 for a bag which I found ridiculous so I refused and just told him to not look while I carried it up and then wrapped a sheet over the bag.

23 Megan June 12, 2012 at 11:35 am

Your dress experience is almost exactly like mine – dress arrived early, didn’t fit fabulously well, is living in my fiance’s office until I can bring it to my parents’ house.

I was disappointed that the sample dress I tried on fit like a glove when the dress I purchased needed to lose about four inches in the waist – that’s probably a whole size! I was definitely sweating it until I came in for my 2nd fitting.

I’m sure your dress will feel gorgeous when altered, and you’ll get that “wow” feeling again!

24 Heather June 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

So exciting! I don’t know what I would have done if mine came in that early! Mine came in June, wedding in September, but I had three fittings and didn’t pick it up to take home until one week before the wedding.

Also, the first and third times I tried on my dress I was really not happy. The third time I actually cried in the dressing room, took it off and didn’t put it back on until the wedding day. Sabrina promised me – the dress always fits perfectly that day, and I think it’s true. There are wedding dress fairies.

25 Margo June 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I know what you mean about David’s emails. Good thing you caught this one! When I told my bridal consultant that I lived with my finace, she said they could store it for me! I ended up using them for alterations as well, so the first time it left the store was just a couple of days before the wedding. All I had to do was swing by and bring it to my parents’ hotel room. I think if it had been at my apartment, I would have been tempted to wear it all the time.
Margo recently posted..Kale or be Kaled

26 Kelly June 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I honestly don’t remember! Maybe at my parent’s house???? I just don’t know. Too funny. I’ve been married 6 1/2 years so I just can’t remember that detail. Now it’s going to bug me. Ha ha!

27 Katie June 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm

My dress was stored at the bridal salon! They had a policy that if I took it home with me it was no longer guaranteed to be replaced if for some reason something was wrong with it. I ended up having the shop alter my dress as well, because if they messed something up for some reason, they would have to replace it for me. It probably cost a bit more money to not take it elsewhere, but I did have peace of mind.

Now…AFTER the wedding…my dress has been hanging on the outside of our closet door. For 2 years now. I have never moved it. So embarrassing.

28 Leanne Drown June 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

The same exact thing happened to me when I ordered my dress! I had to get a couple sizes up becuase it was out of stock and limited on availability. When I got it in and tried it on…. it was TERRIBLE. Last week when I went in to try it on after alterations I was in a mild state of panic and prepared to completely hate it. Once I got it on, it was perfect! Now I just can’t wait one more week until I actually get to wear it :)